Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

30's~40's Work Boots

Mr. Boodles

New in Town
Red Wings 40% off at Karmaloop today

Hello gents. Mr. Boodles here.

I know that we have plenty of Red Wing Shoes devotees here so I figured it'd be a good place to post this. You do need a code though; 40LOCO will do the trick.

Cheers!! -- M.B.

Chinaski

One Too Many
This website says they are made in the USA...Whattaya think?
http://www.theworkshoe.com/red-wing...GoogleBase&utm_medium=ShoppingEngine&cKey=gMC

I would like to avoid Chinese made boots as well, and thought the 931's might work. They're cheaper than White's (my first choice but too expensive) but still made in USA as far as I can see on a couple websites. Does anyone know definitively whether or not they're made in China?

mattfink

Practically Family
I'd still be wary. The local Red Wing guy told me what I told you before. Maybe they have changed due to the current economy?

Chinaski

One Too Many
I'd still be wary. The local Red Wing guy told me what I told you before. Maybe they have changed due to the current economy?

I'm definitely wary, because I've heard the China rumors before but do not know the truth. I'll have to see what I can find out. I have seen the Hathorn's before - I take it these are White's less expensive line. Interesting that it says the uppers are imported. It looks to be a nice boot! Thanks for your input mattfink.

mattfink

Practically Family
Made here using imported materials? That would be my guess. I think that a lot of leather comes from outside the U.S., specifically Mexico.

mattfink

Practically Family
BTW, I listened to an interesting program on NPR the other day where they discussed manufacturing in the U.S.. It's often cheaper (by cost per unit) to make something here than in another country even with higher labor costs. Maybe Red Wing figured this out?

Chinaski

One Too Many
I believe you're right in that they are specifying the Hathorn uppers are imported and then assembled here. Sounds like an interesting NPR program. I guess we must be pretty efficient if we're able to manufacture cheaper with our higher labor. Thanks for the discussion. I'm still ruminating on boots, so time will tell what I pull the trigger on...

mattfink

Practically Family
They mentioned many factors including the quality/education of the workers, cost of materials, shipping, etc.. Couple that with the fact if you have no workers here, who the f**k will buy your products?

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here's last year's amazing RRL Bowery Boot. This is the first that I'm seeing this color:
Bowery-Boot-Bone.jpg

DROOOOL

Whacky

New in Town
Anyone Else w/ White's Boots ?

Been doing some research on a nice pair of boots and finally decided to take the dive.

Decided to go the White's route, as opposed to Alden, RW, Wolverine, Frye, or any of the other designers or custom makers.
I wanted something substantial, that would last, but wasn't without a classic style.
I decided on the Semi Dress Model, as I thought they met those requirements.

Wasn't sure about size, so I just traced my foot, and sent it to White's directly.
I called them and asked for the following custom options:
-Brown Dress leather (thought it was a very versatile color)
-Single leather sole
-90 degree Block heel (never really got on board with the traditional White's heel)
-Heel lowered by 1/4" for a more casual look (which, I was told, is the most they will lower the heel)
-Standard last
-Close trim (which basically means a single row of stitching on the sole, as opposed to their standard double row stitching)
-Antique eyes and hooks for the laces
-Leather lined in black leather - an additonal 25 bucks.

Wanted to get a rolled cut to the top of the boot, but they will not do that with the Semi-Dress model.

Either way, I will give full impressions when they arrive, as well as the pics.

But, in the meantime, I was just wondering if anyone else has recently made the same decision, or has pics of their favorite pair of white's boots, and what made them go that route?

univibe88

One Too Many
I ordered some White's Semi-Dress boots last night. It has been so snowy here lately and I have had to resort to wearing some ugly Eccos to work. I can't wear my leather soled dress shoes in the slop. The White's will be the perfect solution of dressy mixed with practicality. I only wish I was smart enough to have ordered them a month ago!

Black Cherry Water Buffalo
Lined with red leather
Swing Last
Standard Heel
700 half sole (I like the vintage look of the half sole, and I HATE the black line running through the middle of the heel on a full vibram sole)
Brown edge
Antique eyes and hooks
Pull loops (seems most people don't get the pull loops, but I like them)

I'll give you guys pictures when they arrive.

Last edited:

Chinaski

One Too Many
Univibe, contrats on pulling the trigger. I would love a pair and can't really sell the Mrs. on my "need" to have a pair!! Did you consider Wesco boots? Just wondering.

I look forward to seeing your photos, and Whacky - your photos as well.

univibe88

One Too Many
Meh, just don't tell the Missus. Good shoes like Whites, Wesco, AE, Alden, etc are actually very inexpensive. A $100 pair of department store shoes will last but a few years. But a investment in good shoes will last for a lifetime. Even with the cost of an occassional resole, the annual cost over 20-30 years is very, very low.

I have a lot of love for Wesco boots (and will likely one day spring for some of their engineer boots.) But for this purchase I did not consider Wesco because I was looking for something I could pull of with slacks and a sportcoat. IMO, the White's are the best for that purpose.

Chinaski

One Too Many
The Mrs. is also CFO of Chinaski, Inc. There's no hiding funds...As bad as that sounds I'm sure we are a healthier company as a result!

Good luck with the White's and again, please post here when they come in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80