Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

30's~40's Work Boots

LeeB

Familiar Face
I just lucked out and got a pair of the "Rugged Casual" Red Wing boots made for J. Crew from ebay for less than half price. My expereience with Red Wing's products is that they are the most comfortable boots you can own. The unlined, heavy leather practically molds to your foot and is akin the wearing a moccasin.
The 'Work America' brand is a close second. I have a pair of their moc-toe, unlined work boots that are very comfortable. Brand new, I believe, you can get them for around a 100 bucks.
i also have a pair of L.L. Bean light duty work boots they sold a number of years ago with a decent lug sole that I still wear.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Another view on the Traveller Boot by RedWing.

This is the experience of a member from another forum who hoped the boots would live up to everyone's expectations. I reprint this just to allow members here to make an informed and balanced choice when spending 'big bucks' on a pair of boots. You quite rightly deserve to get it right with the comfort and quality you expect when spending a lot of money.

One only hopes that this gentleman's negative experience with the Traveller is the exception.

There's been some interest in these boots here and on other forums so I'll post my experience with the pair I just received in the mail. Most others have had positive experience but not so much with me.

From the advice of others, I ordered 1/2 size smaller - 9-1/2 instead of 10. This was good advice as the fit was good. I'd call that a quality problem and there are several others for a boot of this expense. The first thing I noticed was that the left boot was sewn together in a lopsided fashion, with the right section of the leather attached too far forward. One way you notice it is how the lace is crooked between the lowest set of holes in the left boot from the top view.

To nitpick, the right sole extends further out the front of the boot, as well, and you see stitching there while you don't on the left boot.

The panel sewn on the back of the left boot is placed crooked too, and this view further illustrates the lopsidedness. This is noticeable when you wear it.

The leather outsole has been poorly sewn to the boot and poorly finished. Here you can see poor trimming on the side.

The top of the stitching is rough here also, but isn't very noticeable in the photo.

The needles punched pretty rough holes through the leather, and you see the poor trimming better here.

The thread stitched into the sole is supposed to be recessed into grooves cut into it, but since the grooves were poorly cut some of the thread is actually at the surface. It won't take much walking to wear these threads through.

The worst part of these boots for me is how uncomfortable they are. This photo shows how the side of the boot is stitched to the vamp on the inside. The vamp leather is thick (on the other unseen side of the boot, as well) and really digs into my feet. The thread used is really hard and thick too, and protrudes further above the leather to really dig into the foot. This is not going to "break in". If you wear the boots much, the only thing that will break in is your feet, after first blistering and then developing calluses.

You can see that there's no lining in this boot either. A lining of any kind would help. Also note the partial insole at the heel. A boot of this expense should have a full insole. The partial one here is glued and will probably come loose and slide around or become detached at some point. There is very little if any cushioning in the sole; maybe a thin cork layer, so they jar your frame with each step.

Another problem I have is that my feet will pronate (turn in) somewhat in these boots. An arch support would help.

The laces appear to be cotton impregnated with wax which is nice as they probably won't come untied while wearing, and the upper leather is of good quality. These boots look nice and the leather soles would normally be a desirable thing if they were finished nicer, but all in all these are a mediocre pair of work boots and certainly not deserving of the $240 price.

I have some smooth tan leather Redwing work boots I bought around 1979 that are built better than these, and they're just basic steel toed work boots. The soles are oil resistant rubber though, instead of leather. But the build quality and finish was much finer and they came with an arch support that covered the protruding vamp and stitching at the arch. Even considering inflation I know they cost much less. I still wear them for working around the yard and garage. I was looking forward to these new ones so it's a big letdown. Guess I'll just have to keep an eye out for another quality pair and keep wearing these in the meantime.

LeeB

Familiar Face
That is truly unfortunate. The two pair of Red Wing's I have (the old and the new) are, in my humble opinion, exceptional boots. To have a minor flaw, especially when buying 'factory seconds' may be forgivable or expected, but to have that many flaws in a pair of production boots is rare.

I suspect that part of the issue with the boots is a personal preference thing. Not that I am attempting to downplay the poor construction but some things such as the difference between lined and unlined boots is something that would fall under the heading of a personal preference. I would urge the person quited above to return the boots if at all possible. Another facet of the Red Wings is the customer service. They are very conscious of customer opinion.

Ranger01

New in Town
I agree highly with that. Ive had a pair of Red Wing 2218 ST work boots for 6 years, they fit perfectly. Ive also got a pair of my dad's that were from the first line of 2218s that redwing made, they look just as good as mine. My Red Wings after the first 2 weeks break in period, started off at the AWS/ Fabtec expo (13 miles walking per day for 5 days). The soles were comfortable after the first 2 days (I will admit my feet were the most sore they ever felt in those 2 days). the uppers broke in after 2 weeks, and fully after about 3 months. They now fit me like a glove, and I can not wear anything else (sneakers, dress shoes, converse, pf flyers, etc..) I can barely go barefoot b/c its not comfortable (it dont hurt but its weird feeling) without my boots.

Now for durability, I wear my boots pretty much 365 days a year, first thing i do waking up is pull em on (i dont use slippers) last thing I do is take em off (sometimes dont even do that). They hold up better than any other boots ive ever worn. Im not kind on my boots by any means (I use em and abuse em like a good work boot should be). I polish them (to get back color) once every 3 months, and shine them once a year, more if Ive got a social function to go to (yes I wear em with my suit).

As for how well the steel toe works, my dad sells welding supplies. One day he had a 5 ton spool of welding wire fall on his foot while wearing his boots that I now have. His feet were unharmed, and the toe did not deform, if that's not quality what is?

As for customer service, well RW is a great company, I bought my boots from a small shop who specializes in them, and a week after I bought them he called to check up on how they were fitting/ holding up.

Only problem Ive ever had with them (altho its probly due to how much and how tight I wear em) is that the back of my ankle (achilles tendon area) has formed a callouse... not really a problem, but it gets irritated if I dont keep it in check.... but that probly would happen to anyone who wears any boot as much as I wear my 2218s.

well...enough of my rant, I love my redwings.
(Hell, Ill probly have em put me under in them haha lol )

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Allow me to recommend Redwing 952, a six-inch boot with plain toe. I've had two of the 8" version over many years, and finally wore one pair out...but it took some exposure to cement and repeated abuse, like never cleaning off the caked-on clay that coated them, to get them to the point of discard after 10+ years of field work.

The 6" 952 version is more comfortable. It doesn't have the extra strip of leather up the back which I never did like as it makes it harder to break them in. The 952's were very comfortable after waterproofing and wearing them for only a few days.

Although I've had heels replaced many times on the Redwings, I can't recall ever having to replace the sole. Which is pretty amazing. These boots aren't light, but I find them exceedingly comfortable and durable. Some day I might get a pair of Aldens for comparison, but for the price differential (about 2x), maybe not.

- Bill

Kodiak

A-List Customer
I wear Redwings. Don't know the exact model number, but it's an 8 inch model with a plain toe. My grandfather lived in them for years, and I must admit they're really good boots.

However, if your foot is very small, you might want to consider something else. I have innersoles in mine to make them fit - long, irrelevant story - and the innersoles don't quite fit the boots right, which leads to a little bit of discomfort if you're on your feet all day long.

I would think though, that if you can get them to fit correctly, they'd be great workboots.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
WW2 German low boots have a similar shape to those Whites'.
The back contour. Very nice- I prefer the German ones- they're available from WW2 reenactor vendors, of course.

In my opinion, the almost Cuban style heel on those Whites' almost takes them from the realm of '30s-'40s work boots.

B
T

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Kodiak said:
I wear Redwings. Don't know the exact model number, but it's an 8 inch model with a plain toe. My grandfather lived in them for years, and I must admit they're really good boots.

However, if your foot is very small, you might want to consider something else. I have innersoles in mine to make them fit - long, irrelevant story - and the innersoles don't quite fit the boots right, which leads to a little bit of discomfort if you're on your feet all day long.

I would think though, that if you can get them to fit correctly, they'd be great workboots.

Kodiak, that may be a big part of the reason I like them. I'm on the other end of the scale, with very wide feet. Mine are 10EEE, and they are just right. Don't know how narrow they come, but you can probably get a store to order them in if they aren't in stock - that's what I had to do because RW won't let them be sold mail order or online, and nobody here in Atlanta carries those models.

- Bill

Kodiak

A-List Customer
I think that's really what it comes down to - some people have good luck with boots because they can find a pair that fit like gloves, or at least pretty close to it. Because I'm usually about a 7 1/2 slightly-narrow, fitting my foot is a bit of an adventure. My Redwings are standard 7 1/2 Ds, so they don't quite fit the way I want.

My grandfather, on the other hand, and most people where I live (very rural community, people wear boots, and a lot of the old timers wear Redwings), love their Redwings. They're good boots, but just like all other footwear, they gotta fit or they're only worth scrap leather.

rjbaal

New in Town
Gentlemen Travelers

I just got a pair of Gentlemen Travelers and put them one for the first time. The pair I have is made fine having no glaring flaws. They are a little narrow at the arch, but i like the fit because they feel like there will give good arch support. Also, they seem to be a little more comfortable than my 405s which i have had for some time. There is definitely more room in the toe box than the 405. The quality of the leather seems very high. it feels sort of like the hh on my new Aero Cossack. Finally, the Black Cherry is a very cool color!

YETI

A-List Customer
1920s 30s Red Wing boots ...

I remember seeing a pair of deadstock vintage Red Wing boots sz 10 that sold on Ebay several months ago for around $300. They looked very similar to the White's semi-dress with a Cuban style heel and the bottom of the heel shaped like a harp sorta. Anyone here catch that auction?

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Gentleman Traveller boots (by RedWing)

Photos to follow (just not now), when broken in abit more. Pulled the trigger on a pair as I got them at a good knocked down price. Leather sole with partial rubber commando grip sole. Cherry black colour (reddish brown). Very nice actually but just taking my time to break them in. A nice semi-formal boot.

Gunk

New in Town
do they have the red wing logo on them? im looking for CLASSIC looking boots with no logos and preferably the light wood color separating the boot from the sole like the redwing gentlemen travelers

Gunk

New in Town
check these out
9P4HL8XB.jpg

http://www.orvis.com/store/productc..._id=14709&cat_id=14714&subcat_id=14719&bhcp=1

Speedster

Practically Family
PADDY said:
Photos to follow (just not now), when broken in abit more. Pulled the trigger on a pair as I got them at a good knocked down price. Leather sole with partial rubber commando grip sole. Cherry black colour (reddish brown). Very nice actually but just taking my time to break them in. A nice semi-formal boot.

Congratulations PADDY. You finally got around to getting a pair. Can you reveal your source?

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
HELLO Denmark...(in my Eurovision presenter's voice)

Well the source was actually my nearest BIG town, Newcastle (UK). I know, one would think the internet would be THE SOURCE, but not in this case. As you know I took my time (like 2 years!) to research and just 'wait.' Well with the credit crunch hitting the UK now, shop keepers (some anyway) are open to bartering, which I did. (The secret to bartering I find, is know your limit, and be prepared to walk away - which I did). Knocked the guy down by £50 ($100 USD).
So I'm well chuffed (pleased). But they are far too new to be posting any close ups yet, as anyone can see a photo of this model in 'new' condition if you do a search. So we'll wait until they are just a bit more broken in and get some character to them ;)

But 'yes'...never known to 'rush in' (well not with boots anyway ;) ).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot