Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

30s England style haircut - how to describe to and receive from modern barber

vonwotan

Practically Family
I have always liked the look of a certain popular haircut seen in England during the Interbellum and for some time after. Some men had their hair cut a bit long on the top and shorter on the sides; combed back but parted at the sides. If it drooped a bit it was at the sides more than at the bangs. I have been searching for a good picture and wonder if there were ever any guides or illustrations produced for barbers to learn these styles?

Mysterious Mose

Practically Family
How 'bout:
classic-mens-haircut.gif

mattfink

Practically Family
I think I'm going to have that diagram printed and laminated so that I can carry it wherever I go...

mattfink

Practically Family
BellyTank said:
Make sure they can read English, otherwise you might get a Mohawk.
Maybe even a side-to-side one.

B
T

I'd be OK with that too...just not some crappy modern interpretation of the pompadour.

vonwotan

Practically Family
I e-mailed this to my barber - long story but I can't make it in to visit him yet. He looked at the wonderful diagram (Thank you! Mysterious Mose) and said, "Isn't that how I've cut your hair since you first came in?" The truth is, he has, but my hair is very fine and parted on the left side. I also omit the brylcreem which changes the look.

Cheers

Mysterious Mose said:
How 'bout:
classic-mens-haircut.gif

Mysterious Mose

Practically Family
But, Brylcreem IS the look! You paste whatever grows on top off your head back on to your skull. The short hairs on the side will droop down. Shave back and sides very close to the skin, extreme short, sharp taper to the top.
Grow moustache.

@ BT: Yes, my rather large forrid makes my hair looks like a side to side Mohawk in the mornings.

shortbow

Practically Family
Man, that diagram is just great. I can't tell you how many times I've tried to describe that haircut only to get blank looks. Now, all I've got to do is find someone willing to do it. Cheers and lotso thanks.

Vic

One of the Regulars
mattfink said:
I'd be OK with that too...just not some crappy modern interpretation of the pompadour.

The way people are getting their pomps cut these days is really a sad state of affairs. Buzzed on the back and sides, no ducktail, and the higher the better in top...not really my cup of tea at all. I like 'em long and greasy, like Johnny Depp in Cry-Baby. And there are other variations I like-- but these modern power-tower quasi-wide-mohawk things that get passed off as pomps are really bad. Though, to be honest, I don't care that other people do it...so long as mine is done to my liking. To each his own, I suppose.

mattfink

Practically Family
Vic said:
The way people are getting their pomps cut these days is really a sad state of affairs. Buzzed on the back and sides, no ducktail, and the higher the better in top...not really my cup of tea at all. I like 'em long and greasy, like Johnny Depp in Cry-Baby. And there are other variations I like-- but these modern power-tower quasi-wide-mohawk things that get passed off as pomps are really bad. Though, to be honest, I don't care that other people do it...so long as mine is done to my liking. To each his own, I suppose.

I fall into that category. I have wavy hair that sticks out on the sides if not cut short....sorry, no ducktail for me.

Hmm, yes, short back and sides. Whenever i've had my hair cut (it is short right now, i bounce between very long, and short back and sides) I've just said "short back and sides" and I get the cut the OP seeks. All you need do is instruct how short you want the sides - my standard is a #2 spacer on the clippers.

Should a barber need instruction for short back and sides? If so, should you seek another barber?

bk

mattfink

Practically Family
Baron Kurtz said:
Hmm, yes, short back and sides. Whenever i've had my hair cut (it is short right now, i bounce between very long, and short back and sides) I've just said "short back and sides" and I get the cut the OP seeks. All you need do is instruct how short you want the sides - my standard is a #2 spacer on the clippers.

Should a barber need instruction for short back and sides? If so, should you seek another barber?

bk

One would think that, but the Barber seems to be a dying trade here in the US. There are sporadic outcroppings of traditional barbering, but not everywhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR