Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Fedora Lounge Guide to Blanket Mackinaws

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender

The Hudson's Bay Company introduced their distinctive striped "point" trade blanket in 1780. The blankets were used in the fur trade, traded in exchange for pelts. The "points" represented the size and weight of the blanket. The blankets were soon being tailored into hooded, belted "Capotes". A variety of patterns for making reproductions of these can be found here.

In 1811, 40 greatcoats were commissioned for soldiers stationed at Fort St. Joseph in Jocelyn, Ontario. They were made under the direction of John Askin, fur trader, and keeper of the King's Store at that fort. Running short on proper supplies and in need of adequately warm coats for the men, Askin had the coats sewn from point blankets. The modern mackinaw was born. (source)
Over time, the Mackinaw coat split into distinct groups, the blanket coat, discussed in this guide, and coats made from Mackinaw cloth, discussed in the "Guide to Mackinaw Coats".

The Hudson's Bay blanket material was advertised for its, "warmth, durability, retention of color, non-shrinage", for being "non-hardening when exposed to the elements", and for their water resistant qualities. Combined with its heavy weight, and thick fluffy nap, the Hudson's Bay Blanket made for ideal material in a harsh environment. They remained popular with fur traders through the 18th and 19th centuries. Along with their mackinaw-cloth relatives, they also proved popular with Lumbermen on both sides of the border.

Carss Mackinaw made blanket coats in Orillia, Ontario from at least 1897. Their signature model was single breasted with caped shoulders and a squared-off shawl collar. They are most commonly seen in red, green, and khaki, all with a blanket stripe at the base. The fabric used in these coats was a whopping 44oz, (source), and was sourced from a variety of trade blanket manufacturers, including Hudson's Bay and the Bird Woolen Mills. (source) They were advertised as "The Only Genuine Mackinaw Made In Canada". (source) They were retailed by the Hudson's Bay Company, (source) as well as other stores. As with companies like Brown's Beach Jacket, Carss continued to produce nearly the same model coat they started their company with through into the 1960s.

Blanket stripe Carss Mackinaw worn on left. Plaid Patrick mackinaw worn at right

Tom Mix in 1918. He wore custom-made Hudson Bay blanket coats on and off the screen from around 1918 until his death in 1936.

Coats made from Hudson's Bay point blanket material were truly investments, costing significantly more than identical coats in other fabrics. Some examples: In 1937, an Albert Richard coat in heavy mackinaw cloth cost $12.50. That same coat in the HBC fabric cost $22.50. In 1936, a different manufacturer was offering 32oz melton coats for $5.95. To upgrade to point blanket fabric doubled the price.

These coats were the ultimate in rugged, high-end outdoors garments. At the top of the price range for short coats, they were sold by such high-end outfitters as Abercrombie & Fitch and Von Lengerke & Detmold. By the 1930s, sportswear companies like Albert Richard and Maine Guide by Congress had joined the act. The Hudson's Bay blanket coat enjoyed a surge of popularity on the United States market in the mid through late 1930s. Mirroring the Patrick Mackinaw craze of 1915, the style was brought over the border by tourists and seasonal workers who had seen the coats in use in Canada and been impressed with their warmth and durability. They briefly became a university fad in the 1930s, but really stuck with sportsmen who could afford the best.

Hudson's Bay blankets were originally made in England. In the middle of the 20th century, they switched manufacture to Canada. Currently, they are again produced in England, by John Atkinson. Former competitor Woolrich Woolen mills has the contract to import Bay Blankets to the US, and other former competitor Pendleton now makes the blankets used in the coats sold by HBC.

As the 20th century wore on, the Hudson's Bay point blanket coat remained a Canadian icon. It was the Canadian team uniform at the 1964 Innsbruck Olympics.

Last edited:

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Capote style, 1920 (source)

Blanket coats as snowshoe club uniform
The Bounce, Montreal Snowshoe Club, 1886
Wm. Notman & Son composite image

A variety of colors and styles. Late 1930s.
Hudson's Bay Company ad.
These coats were made in outdoors/work Mackinaw and Cossack styles. They were generally advertised alongside other outdoors-type garments. Sheeplined coats, horsehide jackets, grizzly jackets.

1964 Olympic uniform. Please note the orientation of the stripes. Despite these all being made to the same pattern for the same contract, some have the indigo stripe on the top, some have it on the bottom. On '30s coats, many have the stripes on the sleeves oriented upside-down from the stripes on the body.

1981, Marlboro

Last edited:

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Blanket Mackinaws

The history of these coats can be found in this thread. I figure with that written, it's time to share my collection.

This material, especially early on, was used on high end outdoor garments and sportswear, which explains the prevalence of belted, double breasted styles. Many manufacturers offered it as a very expensive upgrade.

1920s. Very early style. Would have originally been called a lumberjack jacket or a lumberjack blouse. This is the transitional style from the mackinaws of the 1910s and the A-1 and A-2 style leather jackets of the 1920s and early 1930s. Rare to see this style in a Hudson's Bay blanket material. The upgrade from what probably would have been the standard 32oz melton wool to this red point blanket fabric would have more than doubled the price. Unlined.

1930s. Only label is the Hudson's Bay point blanket label. This could mean it was sold directly by the HBC. Buttoned belt. Unlined.

Early 1930s - Profile Carder & Chuchill Lebanon, NH. Another early buttoned belt example. Unlined.

1940s - Maine Guide by Congress Sportswear. Cool peak lapel style. Buckle belt. Unlined.

1947 - Lakeland "Jackinac". This was marketed as a "campus" style, and was shown in ads worn with a tie. Unlined.

1950s - Unknown maker of blanket source. The only other place I have seen this double-stripe blanket was in an an episode of the Avengers, where this pattern was used in a hospital. Hudson's Bay, and others, sourced their blankets from woolen mills in England, so it would be a stretch to make that English connection.

1950s - Buck Skein. Thermalized lining.

1960s - Lakeland. Made from the same pattern of blanket as the above Buck Skein.

1960s - Lakeland. A copy of the m1926 army mackinaw, which in turn was modeled after the 1910s Patrick Mackinaws. Patrick offered their coats in this same shade of red.

Last edited:

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Early 1930s. Women's. By E&W Kerr, Montreal.

Mid to late 1930s by Albert Richard, who are probably more famous for their leather jackets

1950s. The standard mackinaw model produced and sold by the Hudson's Bay Company.

1960s. Another version of the same

Another version of the same. This style coat was worn by the Canadian team during the 1964 Olympic games

The women's version, sold around the same time as the above coat. This style did not change for decades, other than the interior tags.

Another of the same

A 1970s LL Bean version. Note different (though similar) pattern of blanket

The Hudson's Bay Company also produced shirt styles with a shrunk down version of the stripes

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Other patterns and brands.

1950s - Lakeland

1960s - Eatons. Similar pattern to the Hudson's Bay women's coats of the period - possibly made by the same factory, though from different blankets

1950s/1950s - MacMor

Though it doesn't have the stripe, this Lakeland is made of blanket material. This coat was the official parade uniform of the United States team at the 1964 Olympics.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Had mine cleaned and repaired, looks good as new. Family members made sceptical noises initially - the words 'pesky wabbit' were uttered, but once they tried it on, they loved it. :D

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
It's funny, you don't see very many of these coats turn up in this brown. Of all the colors they were offered in over the years, I would think this would be the most socially "acceptable". A bit toned down from the loud red or the multi-stripe.

Pinhead

One of the Regulars
A specialty sports store recently opened in town. I quickly found the Filson display and tried on an array of jackets and vests.

Now, I mu$t never go there again.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Late 1920s Patrick Duluth
$_57.JPG

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I don't think I've ever seen a belt like that before. Interesting, though it appears not to have any real room for adjustment.

It's funny, you don't see very many of these coats turn up in this brown. Of all the colors they were offered in over the years, I would think this would be the most socially "acceptable". A bit toned down from the loud red or the multi-stripe.

Maybe the brighter colors were prefered because they made it easier to locate your remains in case exhaustion and hypothermia got the better of you.

Great thread, by the way, about an iconic and historic item.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I don't think I've ever seen a belt like that before. Interesting, though it appears not to have any real room for adjustment.

It's really a pretty standard detachable belt. Buttons on the sides are attached to the jacket so that the front can be removed. A feature of many leather jackets, but usually seen on later jackets, by which time button fastening had largely given way to buckles.
As far as the level of adjustment goes, for better or worse that's just how those button-front belts worked. Pretty much the default belt style for norfolk jackets and belted outwear up through the 1930s. What you lose in adjustability they make up for in durability, as there's no metal buckle to wear through the wool.

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
That Guy on the left looks like hes got a Grenfell Cloth Hat on!

Thanks for the referrence pics, I will keep my eyes peeled for these in the Local thrifts!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner