Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Fedora Lounge Guide to Blanket Mackinaws

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
That's how you rock a Mackinaw and not look like Elmer Fudd. Love those boots too, though I wouldn't want to try to get them on in a hurry!

FaceOfBoh

New in Town
Here's one I found recently. Not too sure of the age but appears to be an older label. It exhibits some wear in the usual places yet it's pretty intact, missing only a single button on each cuff.

It reminds me of this one on the right in Dinerman's catalogue picture (sans the lower side pockets).

file-747.jpg

file-852.jpg

file-1015.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I've never seen one in either that color or that pattern. With the deep nap on the blanket wool, definitely an older one. '30s?
Very interesting.

FaceOfBoh

New in Town
Hmmmmm, very interesting Dinerman. I had been leaning towards 40s because of cut and construction. But now that you mention it - and thinking about the Made in England tag - you may be on to something. I don't think anything like this would be coming out of England in the 40s, either during wartime or in the immediate post-war period.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I can't remember the exact date, but they switched production of the blankets from England to Canada post-war. They were then tailored into coats in Canada. That type of unlined/mostly unlined construction was more typical on the earlier ones as well.

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
I like it. I've been toying around with buying some nice wool, or a couple of nice mackinaw coats, and having an anorak/smock/cagoule custom made. I have it designed from A-Z in my mind. Not sure how comfortable I would be re-purposing perfectly good garments to do so, though.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I can't wait for the green maine guide to arrive. But I love the cut of the red pull-over too. Oh my. Maybe blanket coat addiction is contagious?

Thanks for making them avaivable for us.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
It's cleared customs- should be there any day now. I hope you like it.
I think you may be right. I'm certainly a junkie.

Trotsky

A-List Customer
Just picked up an interesting example that's clearly related to the blanket coats. It's black, shawl collared, double breasted, and the pockets and cuffs are trimmed in leather. $8.75 but it needs some serious TLC.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran