Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

5.11 Boots, Opinions Please

Otter

One Too Many
Sorry for the very off topic thread, but I need a bit of advice from some of our Law Enforcement and Military members.

I walk about 4 to 6 miles a day in my job and occasionally have to make small jumps of about 4 feet or so vertical height. I need some ankle support as my legs aren't what the used to be but the surfaces I am on are usually smooth. I am thinking of the 5.11 Advance low boots but would be greatful for advice on any of their range.

Otter, during my 25 years in LE I always wore boots on duty. Our uniform supplier was a 5.11 dealer and a lot of the folks I worked with wore them and I never heard a complaint. The last pair of boots I got from my allowance was the 5.11 A.T.A.C. boot. Nice lightweight, durable boot and waterproof. Offered a lot of support and were the first side zipper boots I ever wore. Very light for a boot as well. I still have the pair and occasionally break the out in colder, rainy weather. Also, they polish up nicely, as was a requirement for uniform wear.

Bighatlaw

One of the Regulars
I've been in LE for 16 years and used to wear 5.11. They are decent boots. I would recommend you take a look at Danner Boots. I find them to be much better boots, better quality and comfort. I have wore Danners for work from Iraq, to Memphis and NYC. Thx.

dep126

Familiar Face
LE for over 10 years and don't particularly care for 5.11 boots. Not terrible, but not what I would consider high quality. More of a disposable shoe. I'm one who spit shines my duty boots, and the leather on 5.11, and many other manufacturers, just don't hold a shine very well. I would look into Danner, Corcoran, or certain Rocky models. Something with a Goodyear welt to allow for new soles. I have a pair of Rocky cap toe paratrooper boots I've worn for almost 10 years - love them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Otter

One Too Many
Thanks for the advice ! I hadn't thought of Danners, bit hard to come by over here, but I have added them to the list. How do both types come up for size and width, do they come up narrow or wide and are they true to size ?

Otter, I've worn both and still have a pair of Danner Ft. Lewis Go Devil boots. IMO the 5.11's run true to size and the Danner's seemed to run about 1/2 size above the listed size. The Danner's also seemed a little clunkier to me and the 5.11's more akin to an athletic shoe, though I don't have any experience with Danner's more recent models.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Otter, have you considered one of the Mephisto boots? Several years ago I had a severe 2nd degree ankle sprain and bought a pair of Mephisto Gore Tex boots with speed laces that was, I think, called the Sierra model. They were more or less water proof and provided great arch and ankle support. I eventually gave them to my son who still uses them for hiking.

Monsoon

A-List Customer
Belleville boots. I was issued different pairs when I was still flying (black, green, tan) and all were great straight from the box.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
Lowa, Meindl and Hanwag do very good quality hiking boots. They do not look as tacticool as the black and shiny so called combat boots from various manufacturers such as 5.11, but for hiking they are probably as good as it gets.

IXL

One Too Many
I have worn several models of 5.11 boots. They aren't the most long lasting, but are quite light weight. I prefer Rocky, as a more durable boot.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
I've been in LE for 16 years and used to wear 5.11. They are decent boots. I would recommend you take a look at Danner Boots. I find them to be much better boots, better quality and comfort. I have wore Danners for work from Iraq, to Memphis and NYC. Thx.

+1
Danner are very light, and very well built. Feel like slippers.

devilish

A-List Customer
I don't have to wear this type of footwear for my job but I hike a fair amount and I love my Danners. Made in the U.S. and all day comfortable.

1911 Man

A-List Customer
Another vote for Danners. 19 years Law enforcement officer, they're all I've worn for the last 15 years. A few of the guys on the department have worn the 5.11's, and they're ok, but the Danners just last longer under heavy use.

I will add that 5.11 trousers are my favorite, and I wear them as casual use pants all the time. The downside is that they are recognized as "Cop" pants.

Last edited:

IXL

One Too Many
I've worn only the cotton ones since sometime in the early 1980s. Well I have tried a few pairs of the nylon version but don't like them. They are hot, less durable, and tend to stain more easily.

Plumbline

One Too Many
Otter don't discount Altberg ... I have many LE or Military colleagues and friends who swear by Altberg .... they have a custom fit service and I've had my microlight Bandog winter bike boots for 10 years with no ill effects. Light weight and and great support.

http:///www.altberg.co.uk/

Tony B

One of the Regulars
Lowa renegade mid would be my choice.

After years of bumming round in trainers and hi-tec boots for walking I got some renegades for proper walking and hiking now all my trainers and other boots are surplus to requirements. The lowas are as comfortable as trainers but with the ankle support of hiking boots.

I can spend all day walking in them and don't feel the need to kick them off the moment I get in the house, they are just so comfortable.

I have quite wide feet so half sized up over the hi-tec boots I used before and they are perfect, I went out for a three mile walk over cliffs and rocky beach the day I got them and no rubbing or discomfort anywhere. Trainers are being replaced with lowa trail shoes and dessies for the summer.

Half the soldiers in the british army seem to go for lowas when buying private purchase boots and those lot know a thing or two about being on their feet. Made in Europe as well.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Sorry for the very off topic thread, but I need a bit of advice from some of our Law Enforcement and Military members.

I walk about 4 to 6 miles a day in my job and occasionally have to make small jumps of about 4 feet or so vertical height. I need some ankle support as my legs aren't what the used to be but the surfaces I am on are usually smooth. I am thinking of the 5.11 Advance low boots but would be greatful for advice on any of their range.
I've owned two pairs, both safety toe models. I found them to be of excellent quality and value. Very comfortable, warm, great traction on any surface, not overpriced, good looking, not too heavy.... I really can't say enough good things about them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24