Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A-1 Jacket / A1 Flying Jacket - The ultimate Golden Era flying accessory!

If I go outside this week at night, I can still justify one too. But I've been in working, so no jacket for me! I hate this time of year, except I may have two new GW's to enjoy this fall/winter.

Flashman

Familiar Face
Hello fellow A1'ers

Its been a while since I visited the forum - I hope that the issues with the Aero/Aero USA matters have concluded satisfactorily.

Well summer in jolly old England has now passed and the A1 made its first outing couple of weeks ago when I drove to Wales for the day - in my big purchase this summer, an Aston Martin DB7. It was great to wear the A1 and drive in the car. It is not an open top but I had the windows down and did not feel the cold wind but could her the lovely sound of the supercharger! Looking forward to more days when I can wear the A1 and drive the AM!!!

Hope you are all enjoying your A1s too!

Last edited:

Ishmael

Practically Family
There just a cool uniqueness to A-1's. You don't see them everyday and not just everyone wears them. I'll admit, when I first saw them they seemed a bit wonky to me. But then they kept growing and growing on me. Now I find them just amazing to look at.

It's kind of like music. When you get a new CD at first you listen to the hit song that got you into it. But after a while you find that more complex song on the "b" side and that song just grows on you and you can listen to it over and over. :eusa_clap

+1. Sorry to quote a five month old post. But this describes my experience exactly. Is it ok to discuss civilian A-1s on this thread? Or is it limited to "flying" (i.e. military)?

Ishmael

Practically Family
Good to hear. Long live the A-1. Just wish I had my own jacket to share pics of.........

As I looked around for a jacket, I came across these A-1 beauties from Freewheelers.

Tatanka Brown

20120915_f0ee26.jpg

Gold Brown

img56567190.jpg

img56044114.jpg

Also, not sure if you've seen the French Cancan blog, but he has three good posts on the A-1.

http://fcancan.blogspot.jp/2011/01/type-a1-military-leather-jacket-for.html
http://fcancan.blogspot.jp/2011/01/type-a1-military-leather-jacket-for_24.html
http://fcancan.blogspot.jp/2011/01/type-a1-military-leather-jacket-for_26.html

Ishmael

Practically Family
Oops. Forgot to relay that the Heron isn't coming. The shop owner, very understandably, sort of backed out by asking for a hefty deposit (oh the subtleties of Japanese discourse). I decided that it would be better to just try and visit his shop sometime soon. Gives me a good excuse to take my son on his first shinkansen ride. I'm also headed to Toronto next April for a couple weeks and should have a chance to see some Herons then.

But, Handymike, you've got me figured out. A civilian jacket like the Heron is my kind of A-1.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
I've drooled over that jacket in Tatanaka brown jacket before - I'm not so taken with the pocket placement and the pocket flap profile, but I prefer the buttons in the waistband over the later snaps.

Ishmael

Practically Family
Handymike, The Eastman Thunderbird looks like a great jacket.

Dr. H, I got to drool all over the Tatanka Brown A-1 today at "Desolation Row", the Freewheelers shop in Tokyo. They were completely out of stock except for a size 40 sample. It had been used and abused to give customers an idea of how they look worn in. Looked great. Really liked the feel of it, but not the fit. Size 40, I'm usually 38 or 40, was very small. From what I've gathered these jackets are rare and even a new one is hard to come by. Sorry no pics......

Ishmael

Practically Family
Handymike, The Eastman Thunderbird looks like a great jacket.

Dr. H, I got to drool all over the Tatanka Brown A-1 today at "Desolation Row", the Freewheelers shop in Tokyo. They were completely out of stock except for a size 40 sample. It had been used and abused to give customers an idea of how they look worn in. Looked great. Really liked the feel of it, but not the fit. Size 40, I'm usually 38 or 40, was very small. From what I've gathered these jackets are rare and even a new one is hard to come by. Sorry no pics......

Ishmael

Practically Family
Beautiful suede A-1 collaboration in the works between The Armoury in Hong Kong and The Few out of New Zealand.

tumblr_mc0oa09Xkm1qad1efo1_1280.jpg

http://thearmoury.tumblr.com/post/33755993812/ethandesu-the-few-a-new-project-and-a-great

A new project, and a great opportunity to work with someone I have long admired, namely Masa Ishizuka of The Few.
Based on a WWI flight jacket, but in Suede rather than Cape Sheep Leather, with a one piece back rather than the standard three panel. Made by The Few in New Zealand, the pedigree is the old Real McCoys leather jacket factory, now producing some of the best flight jacket replicas in the world. To have our own spin on this classic style made to such a level is a fantastic experience.
Limited to a run of ten in this suede, I am taking measurements and pre-orders now.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
BTW...A good friend of mine ordered it new fom JC....and finally sold it to Scott.
Don't think you can get Cape quite like that anymore.
HD

Trust me I know. I've gotten a lot of compliments on this jacket. Only problem is short sleeves. But I'm not gonna do anything to the jacket... just continue to "shrink" into it LOL! Don't know for the life of me why anyone would give this beauty up, but I ain't complainin'... not complainin' one bit. But I will have to get rid of some of the lesser lights in the closet (Excelled, Chinese Schott) to make room fer this beauty.

Thanks for the love...

Worf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters