Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A-1 Jacket / A1 Flying Jacket - The ultimate Golden Era flying accessory!

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
My first A-1. Used GoodWear in Capeskin. I think some of you regulars may recognize it.

IMG_0973.jpg

Worf

Wow, Worf, a T Bird and a cool A1, your living large these days!

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the love folks. I don't consider myself as "owning" this jacket, I'm more in stewardship of it. I'm the third Lounger to "own" it and I might not be the last. It's fit, finish, grain and quality is so far above anything else I've owned I sometimes worry wearing it. It's been featured in pics on here before but they don't do it justice. I'll keep it and WEAR it as long as I can. When it no longer resonably fits.. I'll find the next steward and pass it on.

Worf

Last edited:

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
My GW A-1, same vintage (jacket number 2, tagged 46 but a 44) from CBI has the same cape.
It's now painted (by CBI) as a jacket from the USAAC 8th Attack Squadron using very convincing aged paint.
It has an American bald eagle perched on the Liberty Bell on the chest, a 'USAAC' on the yoke, and an A-12 Shrike on the back which the squadron flew in 1935.

majormajor

One Too Many
My GW A-1, same vintage (jacket number 2, tagged 46 but a 44) from CBI has the same cape.
It's now painted (by CBI) as a jacket from the USAAC 8th Attack Squadron using very convincing aged paint.
It has an American bald eagle perched on the Liberty Bell on the chest, a 'USAAC' on the yoke, and an A-12 Shrike on the back which the squadron flew in 1935.

Pics??:D

Worf

I'll Lock Up

What the last guy said... Pics please. Sounds sweet!

Worf

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Thanks John, better images than I have to hand. I've now fixed the button holes so that they look close to machine stitched examples.

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
Old threads never die.

Having resurrected this one can anyone help me with the measurements of a 44 Eastman A 1 please? The cape version and maybe the earlier one too if anyone happens to know.

Was the earlier steer one a bit baggier than the current one? I saw a picture of someone wearing one which seemed slightly large on him.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
I'll dig out my measurements tomorrow.
Can't help you with the steer version though, I've never handled this version. However, it was baggier and less true to pattern.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I own a 46 in steer and another in cape. I can measure those if it's any use to you.

FWIW, the fit on the steer jacket is baggier over all. The pockets are also bigger (good or bad, depending on you).

The leather is thick enough that the leather-faced front seam stays straight while the cloth-lined side flops over. (Lost Worlds corrected this on their A-1 by leather-facing both sides.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael