Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A-2 Manufacturer Opinions?

rclark

Call Me a Cab
I'm in the market for a new A-2 jacket in goatskin. I'm trying to decide between Cockpit USA, Gibson and Barnes, US Authentic, and Schott. I have a local dealer of the Cockpit jackets and he is willing to give me a generous deal. So that is my least expensive option by $75+. I'd appreciate any feedback a day opinions any of you may have on this subject. Thanks.

Last edited:

nick123

I'll Lock Up
GB uses some very nice goat. US Authentic probably has the least-modern slimmest cut out of the bunch. But if I'm reading this correctly you have access to a Cockpit for less than $100? I'd take your buddy up on the offer!

rclark

Call Me a Cab
To clarify, I can pick up a Cockpit for at least $75 less than the other brands mentioned. It's also nice to be able to try on a jacket before purchasing and also save on shipping. I'm just wondering if I would be sacrificing quality in getting a Cockpit. I tried one on for size today and liked it, but I have no other such jacket to compare it with.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
To clarify, I can pick up a Cockpit for at least $75 less than the other brands mentioned. It's also nice to be able to try on a jacket before purchasing and also save on shipping. I'm just wondering if I would be sacrificing quality in getting a Cockpit. I tried one on for size today and liked it, but I have no other such jacket to compare it with.

How I missed that I don't know :/

I've handled a horsehide cockpit A-2 and three or four goatskin Gibson Barnes. I preferred the GBs, but the Cockpit was nice. Also, other than the large cut of their jackets and having learned to size down 1-2 sizes, (perhaps with a Cockpit as well) their quality is praised pretty uniformly here. I don't hear the same uniform praise for the Cockpit stuff, except for their vintage G-1 model.
Noting I'm uncertain if this has taken place (it could have just been an oddball jacket), G&B may have altered their patterns to a more modern fit in the last year or so. If I was to purchase again, I'd size two sizes down.
I'd try another one of either, but when you can have an Aero or BK House model for not too much more those seem like more satisfying choices. Still, I find these modern influenced A-2s kind of appealing. I'd check ebay for discounted new models if you don't want to buy used.
No direct experience with US Auth or Schott. But I understand Shaul from US Authentic is very accomodating.

Last edited:

Brettafett

One Too Many
Cockpit is not bad, if you find a jacket that fits nicely. I kinda like the idea of the Mustang vintage jacket...
G&B's sizing concerns me. May play a back & forth game until you get it right.
Have you considered www.aerialstar.com? Custom made, no money upfront, excellent service and gorgeous steer hide that will age beautifully.
There have been some very good reviews and fit pics on this forum so far.

BigHairyFinn

One of the Regulars
I have a Cooper... Ummm... This gets weird. I thought the modern milspec goatskin I had was a Cooper, but theres an Avirex tab in the pocket :eusa_doh: I've been trying to clear out my jacket collection and finally get a "proper" one, my problem is I need a 52 or so and a long. An Aero dark seal with the red cuffs is on my wishlist, but I'm trying hard to convince myself to save up for one, for me its always a hunt for an old Avirex horsehide. Otherwise they have too much of that gaudy lining crap for my taste. The milspec is fine, it just somehow "lacks soul"...

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I have a Cooper... Ummm... This gets weird. I thought the modern milspec goatskin I had was a Cooper, but theres an Avirex tab in the pocket :eusa_doh: I've been trying to clear out my jacket collection and finally get a "proper" one, my problem is I need a 52 or so and a long. An Aero dark seal with the red cuffs is on my wishlist, but I'm trying hard to convince myself to save up for one, for me its always a hunt for an old Avirex horsehide. Otherwise they have too much of that gaudy lining crap for my taste. The milspec is fine, it just somehow "lacks soul"...

Cooper was bought and made by US Wings who used old labels for some time. And I understand they were and are actually made by Schott. Avirex became Cockpit USA.

Deacon211

One Too Many
Having had jackets from several of the makers, but not having had A-2s, my general experience was something like this.

Avirex recently seems to over process their leather a bit, it feels floppy and pre broken in compared to some others. They kind of round their corners too so that the details aren't as detailed as they used to be. IMHO.

G+B has some outstanding leather and great detailed sewing. I don't know how they cut their A-2s but their G-1s are cut fuller these days. Great customer service in general.

US Authentic. Pretty nice leather. A little generic on their details. I understand many people have had good service from him. I personally didn't have the greatest experience with him.

I actually bought a U.S. wings budget A-2 for my wife to ease her in to the jacket thing and I'd have to say that it was pretty nice. Perhaps you might take a look at their higher end line.

In the end, I'd still say G+B makes the best looking jacket in that price range. Just make sure that you maybe research sizing, compare and measure the fit of an Avirex, that sort of thing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Spoonbelly

One of the Regulars
I'm in the market for a new A-2 jacket in goatskin. I'm trying to decide between Cockpit USA, Gibson and Barnes, US Authentic, and Schott. I have a local dealer of the Cockpit jackets and he is willing to give me a generous deal. So that is my least expensive option by $75+. I'd appreciate any feedback a day opinions any of you may have on this subject. Thanks.

I don't know much about all of the A-2s, but I did buy a Cockpit goat skin about 4 or 5 years ago. I bought the model which has the side pockets and something else that I forget - maybe the inside pencil pocket? It was also a size 48L which costs more then regular sizes. I usually take a size 46L so I was lucky that I picked a 48L. I think the 46L would have been a little tight. So maybe Cockpits run a tinch tight (small)? I paid $325.00 for it at that time. I think it's a great jacket. I can't really compare it to other brands since this was the first A-2 I ever bought. I'm a big pea coat maven. I just looked up the price for the jacket I bought on the Cockpit website - the price is now $480.00!!

Last edited:

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
There's also Dakota Outerwear (thread + LINK, click on "outerwear" and go to page 5) and Taylors Leatherwear (LINK). Both are apparently military grade, solid, and relatively inexpensive. But if you can get Cockpit for $75 then I guess it's a no brainer. G&B and Schott will be a lot more.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Will Taylors dealers sell to non-police personnel? I had one of the G-1s briefly a long time ago when they still sold directly - I returned it 'cause it didn't fit - and it was okay, but not in the same league as my G&B jackets. More like US Wings quality.

IF their odd trim-but-long sizing works for you, US Authentic's goatskin A-2 is a best buy in a generic WWII style A-2, and just its cotton lining and wool knits put it way ahead of most offerings from Cockpit, Schott, etc. (I had one of their horsehide A-2s for years before selling it to finance my Good Wear.)

G&B is definitely a cut above nearly all the US Wings/Cockpit/Schott/Legendary/etc. jackets (all of which I firmly believe originate from a single NJ factory, despite their varied labels and prices), though they're a bit more expensive. I've got two of their jackets, including an A-2 I got way back in 2001, and they've held up just great.

Materials and build quality is one thing, but correct fit is always the main issue. Sizing is all over the place from each maker: carefully study what folks here who've been through a lot of jackets say. As a general thing, unless you are of an absolutely average build, you will do better with numeric sizing than the S-M-L-XL of lower-priced jackets, and some makers, like G&B, also offer Talls and Shorts.

And realize, if you're like most of us, this will be your first A-2, not your last. Very few remain satisfied with their first one for long! Good luck on the hunt...

rclark

Call Me a Cab
Thanks guys for all of the info! In trying on the Cockpit for size, I found that it runs a bit small. Sizing up one size worked great.

BigHairyFinn

One of the Regulars
Cooper was bought and made by US Wings who used old labels for some time. And I understand they were and are actually made by Schott. Avirex became Cockpit USA.

Ah, thats interesting. I ran across a genormous Cooper A-2 that was something like a 58.. Schott used to do that weird hybrid with sherpa lining and side pockets... The Coopers are really "thin" as most Schott stuff weighs a metric ton..

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think owner of Avirex sold the brand name to a Japanese company then opened Cockpit. The current issue Avirex garments are all made in China mostly for Japanese market.

Last edited:

atomjet58

Familiar Face
I have three size 42 A-2s, a Flight Suits horsehide, an Avirex cowhide and a US Authentic horsehide and the USA is the roomiest of the three.
It feels one size to big while the others are both very snug.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy