Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A-2 or similar with articulated arms/elbows?

rolando_ol

Familiar Face
Morning all on this rainy day (on the east coast). I come to you with a question as I've been looking over my jackets and considering the new year.

I have what I'd describe as a barrel chest, but I'm relatively short (5'7) and with relatively muscular arms. Every jacket I have, if it fits me in the chest (fit meaning trim, not super tight or baggy), the same problem: when I raise my hands, the jacket rides up. Or when I ride a bicycle (which I do as my main form of transit, close or far) the jacket both rides up and the collar "hits" the back of my neck.

When I use nonleather jackets - such as higher end Rab polartec jackets that have a lot of structure as well - this doesn't happen because they design the stuff to be articulated. Do you all know of leather jackets that take these kind of athletic pursuits into consideration that might be good for me?

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
How about a Navy G-1 (or the earlier M-422A) jacket? They have bi-swing backs and underarm gussets that provide much more freedom of movement in arms/shoulders than the more simply constructed A-2, and they look just as cool if not cooler.

rolando_ol

Familiar Face
Thanks for the reply! I have a Johnson moto (that is modified to have arm knits, like an A-2) that has gussets and I still have the same issue!

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I have had this issue with one or two jackets too and I am six two and 183. Generally it happens when the sleeves are stitched into the body in a particular angle. This then effects the entire body when you lift your arms. Wested Indiana Jones jackets are notorious for this. The Gibson and Barnes Indy Jacket doesn't do it - same pattern - better sleeve placement.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'd think El Marro's comment about Vanson jackets is pretty accurate. One thing I've noticed over the years on this forum is that whenever this question has come up Vanson always seems to get the highest marks. Good luck.

regius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Once again, Vanson is coming on top for movement and ergonomics! Lol. Love Vanson. If their jackets come in all those cool historical designs but with the typical Vanson ergonomics, and made in CXL, they’d be killing it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
I'm surprised you have that kinda issues with a Johnson Leather jacket. My M-200 I could raise my arms to a 90° angle from my body and the jacket would barely lift up at all. Maybe it would be helpful for us to understand the extent of your problem if you posted a picture or two?
Here's a very old pic of me in my Johnson Moto jacket:
IMG_0937_zpsgqn0f6dw.jpg

Generally speaking, I'd advise you to check out Vanson too, but after your JL remark I can't help but wonder how particular you are with this issue (no offence intended) as every jacket rises up to some extent when you raise your arms, it's just that non-leather material is usually more pliable and thinner and hence bulks up less than leather would.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot