Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A-2 regs during WWII

Odysseus

New in Town
I am going through the exceptional series "Band of Brothers" for the hundredth time. I am curious about the A-2's (and B-3's for that matter) that I see the officers and a couple of the NCO's donning in that show.

Can anyone explain to me the regs on these jackets for non-AAF personnel, and perhaps link me to some photos of non-AAF A-2's from this era? This show is the only example I've seen of these jackets. I'm sure that the uniforms were thoroughly researched for this series, but I also know the liberties that film makers like to take with such things.

I'd love to recreate one of these A-2 if they were legitimate. All help is appreciated.

Thanks
Ben

jake431

Practically Family
Define "legitimate". Airborne soldiers definitely had A-2's, but they were not standard issue. I've heard tales of para boots being traded for A-2's, but don't know if it's true. Maybe Officers had some access to them legitimately, but I don't think that was the case...

In any case if you want to make up an Airborne decorated A-2, it's definitely something seen, but not common. If I were going to do it I'd research real examples; I am sure they are books about paratroops and perhaps re-create one pictured in a book.

Just my two cents.

-Jake

Odysseus

New in Town
By legitimate, I mean absolutely authorized, but not necessarily issued. Something that wouldn't raise the eyebrows of any superiors.

The A-2's in BoB showed unit patches and name tapes placed similarly to those I've seen on AAF personnel. They were also worn during a night march scene, which gives the impression that they were issued to officers in place of field jacket.

Tim P

New in Town
their use by officers was sanctioned and the wearing of insignia followed AAF practice.
Their use by enlisted was not unknown but not officially sanctioned either. There is an anecdote of a murder commited here in the UK by an enlisted soldier of the
502nd PIR and his English girlfriend. I believe he hung.
Anyway, specific mention is made of him affecting an A-2 Jacket.
Forrest Guth of E/506th is pictured wearing a B-3 Late war which means he must have had one (where he was allowed to wear it is another matter as in the same shot he is wearing a german officers cap and sporting a luger unlikely items even off duty.)

A very common and much photographed practice in the 82nd Airborne was the use of the All Americans shoulder patch under a stamped leather name tape on the left breast. Nice and understated machined on in heavy tan thread IMHO.

Yarborough saw to it that the 509th Parachute Infantry battalion enjoyed a liberal issue of A-2's, B-10's and tanker jackets which were adorned with the 509th Gingerbread man patch on the breast and commonly on the left shoulder a 5th Army patch above which in crude hand made style was an arc in red white and blue featuring the word "PARACHUTE"

hope this helps
Tim

JWG

Familiar Face
I don't know if I'm correct but I recall reading (right off the bat could be mistaken) that like the German counterparts in airborne were technically under the Luftwaffe there was a possibility of putting the airborne troops under the direction of the Air Corps when the concept of airborne troops became discussed in 1940?? Might explain a little.

Tim P

New in Town
you are correct, their proposed ttle being "air commandos". of course it didnt transpire but close associations with the Air corps, while not always comfortable were necessary and inevitable.

bgbdesign

New in Town
Airborne officers during WW2 were issued A-2 jackets due to their involvment in aerial flight. It was probably intended a morale booster but in looking through the early regimental parachute histories it appears all officers were issued A-2 jackets and most wore their regimental patch with a nametag above. B-3 jackets were non standard but could occasionally be "appropriated".

Remember that unlike regular infantry the airborne troops were supplied with some items from air corps inventory which made these type of items and other air corps items accessable to officers and enlisted. After the A-2 was limited standard it was replaced by the b-10 and sometimes B-15 jackets for airborne officers.

the 82nd officers wore the division patch(when worn) on the chest and the 101st wore their division insignia on the upper sleeve. The wearing of regimental patches was less frequent as the war progressed as men were used to cadre other regiments and later arriving officers joined exsisting units.

bg

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
BellyTank said:
The First Special Service Force had A-2 jackets as well...

B
T

I've read that members who left the FSSF were required to return their jackets.

Also, in the DeTrez book on corporal Forest Guth of E506pir, it does illustrate his A2 but mentions that he acquired it stateside while on leave.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot