Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

a big hello from the Czech Republic

daddy-o

One of the Regulars
Hello friends,
i been meaning to become part of this super cool forum with like minded hipsters,hepcats and kittens. I am from the Czech Republic and since my teens I have been heavily into 50s and 40s. never liked anything else and I have become a real purist (much to the dismay of my wife and my wallet) I love the look, the clothes, the movies, the cars, the music .... I go thru stages of being into denim, gab shirts, flying jackets etc etc. Well right now I am into denim again and boy thank god for ebay and internet. So again a big hello from the Czech Republic and I hope to become a real active member of this cool forum....
Incidentally is there a denim freak out there who can tell me whether the Lee 101 b (leather patch on left side and belt buckle") in the 1930?Ǭ¥s had selvedge or not ? Just seen the Lee Europe repro, 101 b , and it does not have selvedge.....

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
Man, I had a college roommate from Czech Republic. Postrelmov or something like that. You need to be a really nice guy and send me some of those chocolates with the jelly pieces in them.

I wonder what happened to ol' Libor Soural? He came on a scholarship from the Merril(l?) family of Lynch fame.

nightandthecity

Practically Family
hi daddy-o, and welcome. I was in Prague for a week this summer. Stayed in Ziskoff. Wandered over to a local park one evening for a stroll and there was a bunch of slightly hippie-ish looking young guys hanging out drinking beer and playing hot 40s swing and 50s R&B on a sound system! We were impressed! You wouldn't get that here in the UK. You have a better public transport sytem too, makes the UK look third world.

The 1930s Lee 101B had a normal double selvedge, like period Levis. In fact all 101s from the 30s to the 50s had either a conventional double selvage, or the unique Lee single selvedge (where one edge of the seam is proper woven selvage, and the other overlock stitched or "faux selvage").

They seem to have dropped the real selvedge sometime in the 60s. 101s from the 60s I've seen have only "faux selvage" (overlock stitched both edges)

You have to be careful with Lee Europe's 101 repros, as they vary a lot in authenticity. Some production runs are terrible and have hardly any vintage features, others are very authentic, though not as good as Lee Japan..........Aero Leather Clothing in Scotland stock the good ones, and you can sometimes find them on Ebay.

nightandthecity

Practically Family
daddy-o, a sudden thought...the very first 101s from the very early 30s didn't have selvedge. These are the "waist overalls" with the "HD Lee Merc. co." patch on the left. They had a triple needle side seam not a selvedge seam. Are these the ones you meant? I was thinking of the 1937 101 and later in my earlier posting.

daddy-o

One of the Regulars
thanks for your welcome !

Wow, what a buch of nice folks.....a pleasure to be part of this cool forum.
Well, there ain?Ǭ¥t no hep scene in this country. But we do have a few great bands : If you love 1930s and 1940s swing you MUST see the Ondrej Havelka and his Melody Makers orchestra. Man they are soooo authentic it makes me shudder. Then there is a great band in our town Brno, the Fireballs and their 20 piece Big Band, very much like Brian Setzer and his big Band . they are very good. And I myself play in a new jumpin jive combo called " Gone Hepsville" ( a mix of Louis Jordan, Freddie Bell and Bellboys, Big Six and wee bit of Rockabilly....)
To get back to the Lee denim issue, I just purchased Lee Europe 101 B Reissue Dark Rough Ride, patch on left hand side, cinchback ( will try to hang a pic here...), OK I know it aint LVC or Japan reissue but I do refuse to pay more than 100 USD for a pair of denims..., but they look good, seem Ok made and do not have real selvedge. So I wondered if the originals did or not. You seem to have answered my question coz I think you are talking about the jeans I just bought. Swing On Cats !!!!!

PS. Sorry just cant post the pic of the jeans here, need to study the FAQ section a bit closer

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran