Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A couple of fashion pet peeves...

Edward

Bartender
Three day-old beards. C'mon, guys. Either grow the dang thing or shave it. What's the point of looking like you just stumbled in from an all-nighter?

It's interesting how the stubble look has come back again after last being fashionable in the eighties. One of the big dating websites in the UK a whiled back had a series of ads about how people prepared for their dates; one was an unshaven guy saying "I shave three days before a date in order to have the perfect amount of stubble." I only don't shave when I forget.... I missed about three days when Herself was in hospital just after Christmas and thought I looked like an animal when I caught myself in the mirror. Certainly if I don't shaved my head for three days it simply doesn't feel clean.

Bugguy

Practically Family
Wearing backpacks and suits simultaneously . . . which is most assuredly "a thing" these days.
I can appreciate a backpack, but its gotten out of hand. Try to board a plane or sit in an aisle seat when others board with a backpack larger than a full size carry on. I've been wacked in the head more times than I can count. Its not unaware, they just don't care - its their right to be obnoxious.

Bugguy

Practically Family
1) Shorts in the winter. It was 20 degrees yesterday and I saw no less than three guys out in shorts. I don't care how much of a mountain man you are, you look silly. Put on some long pants.

In Wisconsin the latch-key kids would be at the bus stop in a tee-shirt and shorts when it was 20 degrees. That they survived is evidenced by painting themselves green and being filmed in the stands at a GreenBay football game.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
I can appreciate a backpack, but its gotten out of hand. Try to board a plane or sit in an aisle seat when others board with a backpack larger than a full size carry on. I've been wacked in the head more times than I can count. Its not unaware, they just don't care - its their right to be obnoxious.

...oblivious backpack wearers on crowded trains/streetcars/buses are even worse; they continuously knock into people while standing!

But I'm actually talking about the look on the left versus the look on the right. Wearing a backpack and a suit combines opposites, formality and informality. I have no idea what the heck people need all the space for?!?! For 6 years, I traveled two weeks per-month for work. That whole time, I packed an entire mobile office into a simple, small laptop bag.

backpack-mens-suit-bad-idea21-359x250.jpg

MondoFW

Practically Family
...oblivious backpack wearers on crowded trains/streetcars/buses are even worse; they continuously knock into people while standing!

But I'm actually talking about the look on the left versus the look on the right. Wearing a backpack and a suit combines opposites, formality and informality. I have no idea what the heck people need all the space for?!?! For 6 years, I traveled two weeks per-month for work. That whole time, I packed an entire mobile office into a simple, small laptop bag.

backpack-mens-suit-bad-idea21-359x250.jpg
Question from the teenager: do men still use briefcases when commuting to work? Seems like an archaic practice, no? I've always wanted to carry a cool leather one, but I have no need for one at my age.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
That's absolutely correct. I was just watching some of the "Bertie and Jeeves" episodes, and in a few of them Bertie (Hugh Laurie) is sporting (with Jeeves' approval) a grey or blue suit with brown shoes and hat. I also recall my father's Uncle Harry, one of the best-dressed men I've ever known and who worked with Dutch Shultz, the gangster, back in the Thirties, wearing brown shoes with blue suits. I was just wondering if this prejudice didn't begin during the Sixties and Seventies, when brown shoes fell out of style for a time. Frank Zappa had a song on one of his early albums called "Brown Shoes Don't Make It."
I quote the great George Gobel, who opened one memorable visit to Johnny Carson with the words: "Did you ever feel the entire world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
You asked about pet peeves. While I know it's "high fashion" right now, I cringe every time I see someone wearing brown shoes with a blue or grey suit. Never mind that suits these days look like they've shrunk two sizes before being worn.
+ 100 on your third sentence. So many of these so-called "cool" types look as if they're wearing their little brothers' communion suits.

And the tip of your tie, and a slice of white shirt, is NOT supposed to show between your pants and your suit jacket. Avoiding this doesn't require you to wear your pants up around your armpits, just not hanging inches below your waistline. I'm afraid to go into a men's haberdasher nowadays for fear everything they show me will have these two problems.

Bugguy

Practically Family
Question from the teenager: do men still use briefcases when commuting to work? Seems like an archaic practice, no? I've always wanted to carry a cool leather one, but I have no need for one at my age.

I carried a briefcase early in my career and had no issues. In fact it was a going-away gift from my staff one time. But since I started traveling every week, I find a non-structured, minimally padded computer bag I can hang on my shoulder to be much more convenient. It expands for my lunch or a can of cola, and fits easily under an airline seat. I don't need to strap myself into it and it bothers no-one. You can purchase very professional looking leather ones or abusable canvas. I choose to not bring an on-board carry-on, but to check my bag.

I can see how a backpack can help keep your hands free and make it easier to run from E29 to C27 at CLT, but walking into a professional meeting with a suit and backpack feels immature - it feels to me like you're a light-weight pretending to be a player. Just my opinion - but I will respond to you as such regardless of what you have to say... like the guys with a nice tie pulled up, but their top button is undone - seems like they can't afford a shirt that fits.

Again, dress, groom, act anyway you want - its your prerogative. But it's also my prerogative to not take you seriously.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It's interesting how the stubble look has come back again after last being fashionable in the eighties. One of the big dating websites in the UK a whiled back had a series of ads about how people prepared for their dates; one was an unshaven guy saying "I shave three days before a date in order to have the perfect amount of stubble." I only don't shave when I forget.... I missed about three days when Herself was in hospital just after Christmas and thought I looked like an animal when I caught myself in the mirror. Certainly if I don't shaved my head for three days it simply doesn't feel clean.
Some things never change. Back in the early 1700's Joseph Addison in The Tatler, the first magazine for Yuppies, published an article about the new look for young hipsters, which involved beard stubble, unshined or purposely muddied boots, rumpled clothing, etc. He then hilariously describes his recent visit to his parents' home in the country and says that instead of dressing like the farmers that they indeed were, they were imitating what they thought sophisticated city-folk were wearing and were all well-scrubbed and neatly attired. He then wonders what would happen when, in a year or two, the city-folk went back to good grooming: would his family, being always so far behind in the trends, go back to dressing like, well, farmers?

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I carried a briefcase early in my career and had no issues. In fact it was a going-away gift from my staff one time. But since I started traveling every week, I find a non-structured, minimally padded computer bag I can hang on my shoulder to be much more convenient. It expands for my lunch or a can of cola, and fits easily under an airline seat. I don't need to strap myself into it and it bothers no-one. You can purchase very professional looking leather ones or abusable canvas. I choose to not bring an on-board carry-on, but to check my bag.

I can see how a backpack can help keep your hands free and make it easier to run from E29 to C27 at CLT, but walking into a professional meeting with a suit and backpack feels immature - it feels to me like you're a light-weight pretending to be a player. Just my opinion - but I will respond to you as such regardless of what you have to say... like the guys with a nice tie pulled up, but their top button is undone - seems like they can't afford a shirt that fits.

Again, dress, groom, act anyway you want - its your prerogative. But it's also my prerogative to not take you seriously.
It's been a while since I was in the corporate world, where I used to carry a nice, old-fashioned black briefcase, but what's the attitude these days towards the shoulder-bag, like the one the gentleman in the photo is wearing? I use one for my teaching these days, as it's the most common-sense solution to the problem.
Also, I remember that back in the early '80's women, who were just entering the workforce in large numbers, started appearing on subways and commuter-trains in business suits and sneakers. There was quite a controversy about it because it did make sense, but it also looked terrible. My wife, who always refused to wear heels anyway, solved the problem by simply finding some shoes that looked smart but were also comfortable. It seems a silly argument now, but it was quite a subject of water-cooler conversations at the time.

MondoFW

Practically Family
It's been a while since I was in the corporate world, where I used to carry a nice, old-fashioned black briefcase, but what's the attitude these days towards the shoulder-bag, like the one the gentleman in the photo is wearing? I use one for my teaching these days, as it's the most common-sense solution to the problem.
Also, I remember that back in the early '80's women, who were just entering the workforce in large numbers, started appearing on subways and commuter-trains in business suits and sneakers. There was quite a controversy about it because it did make sense, but it also looked terrible. My wife, who always refused to wear heels anyway, solved the problem by simply finding some shoes that looked smart but were also comfortable. It seems a silly argument now, but it was quite a subject of water-cooler conversations at the time.
People still do the sneaker and suit gag, and I could defend them, nice shoes can be expensive. However, when said sneakers are triple the price of what a smart pair of dress shoes would be...

Canadian

One of the Regulars
It was extremely common when I worked for the legislature, and parking passes were hard to come by, requiring people to walk (as I did, living ten blocks away) or take a bus. People would wear sneakers or trail shoes (favorites were New Balance or Merrill) and change into dress shoes at the office.

I never did that, and I probably should have, as I always had sore feet, especially at the end of the day.

It was a coat and tie place, and I knew lots of people who wore hoodies (hooded cotton sweaters) to work, and would only put on their coat if going into the main building or into a meeting.

shadowrider

One of the Regulars
Here in Italy, they would be too many to keep track of.
What bothers me is that, for the most part, people think they are being uber-fashionable and hip, trying to imitate a picture they've seen on a magazine or fashion blog and coming out looking mercifully clueless.

I am sure some people would find pet peeves with my style as well, as I've heard comments made about it ever since I can remember (referred to as truck driver, hobo, farmer...). Well at least it's my own style.

Edward

Bartender

For work, I use either a leather satchel or soft leather briefcase with a shoulder strap. Looks much better than a nylon backpack, but much easier carried.

I see more and more men doing this now. I believe, given how unnecessary it is (especially in this day and age of 'business casual shoes'), that it is a statement of sorts : "when travelling I'm on my own time and won't be told what to wear". I loathe it, but as long as thry don't try to make conversation on the tube, let them have at it.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many

People still do the sneaker and suit gag, and I could defend them, nice shoes can be expensive. However, when said sneakers are triple the price of what a smart pair of dress shoes would be...

Someone above already said this, but those are "commute shoes." In areas where public transit rather than driving is the primary mode of travel into the business district, many professional women wear a comfortable shoes better suited to walking and standing, and only change into their heels when they arrive at their office. Depending on an individual's personal fashion sense, commute shoe can range from nurse shoes to stylish ballet flats.

...personally, I'd never give a women a hard time for losing her heels ASAP - I wouldn't want to walk in those dang things either! But, it does strike me as odd when younger men change out of their dress shoes to commute to and from work, unless they ride a bike or something. I walk several miles a day in leather-soled dress shoes with no issues.

The problem with classic briefcases is that they aren't designed to protect laptops by holding them securely immobile, so most men don't use them anymore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran