Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Fedora Lounge Akubra Hat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
IMPORTANT NOTE

The Poll Threads have been merged into this one.

I ask that you kindly put this project on hold until the administration of this site has had a chance to review it to ensure that it is done properly. I expect that to take a few days.

Thank you for your patience.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
I'm late to the thread, so I may have little new to contribute...but I will make these observations:

1) My quick read through every post tells me that the Whippet and Stratoliner seem to be the most popular targets - with the possible exception of the iconic hat in the FL logo.

2) There are so many Open Roads on Ebay that I don't see a need to reproduce that model. Anyone with a hat size under 7 1/2 can generally find a decent OR with a couple weeks' searching. It's hard to find larger sizes, though.

3) I agree that some choice of colors is important. Personally, I have two Whippets and two Strats, (both in brown and grey) but I have yet to find a moss-green or other moderate tone green hat with a brim over 2".

4) I don't see why a hatter couldn't offer a choice of raw or bound brim. I personally prefer the bound brims on my Whippets, but I recognize that offering a slightly wider raw edge could let those who wish to do so have the brim cut slightly.

5) I find a LOT of 2" and under hats on Ebay, so I see little need to consider a hat with brim less than 2 1/4".

If this project comes together, I'd really like a shot at a 2.5" brim, bound-edge, moss green hat that's similar to a narrow-brim Whippet or a wide-brim Stratoliner.

Sator

New in Town
Special Order Hat

I have been a bit busy and have been meaning to come back to this project.

Steve of Nungar is willing to order the hat for us as soon as we can decide on the specifications. The trouble is that my knowledge of hats leaves much to be desired and I need a lot of guidance from you gentlemen as to the exact specifications I should request.

My impression is that a reproduction of the Whippet probably has the most number of votes.

And yes this is just a bunch of guys coming together and deciding on a hat. Surely it's OK for us to use this forum to do this - MKs last post on this seemed to give it his blessing. Having forum input just means the hat will have wider appeal and will make it easier for Steve to sell given that there is a minimum order number. This is NOT an official forum hat - just a bunch of guys designing a dream hat with the maximum appeal.

jml90

One of the Regulars
Hemingway Jones said:
Once again, please see my post above and kindly put this project on hold for a few days.
I still don't see why you say this but, I don't understand a lot of things.[huh]

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Hemingway Jones said:
Once again, please see my post above and kindly put this project on hold for a few days.

HJ, I don't see why the moderators have to be involved. From what I understand, a hat store will be making the order and then the fedora lounge members will be ordering from the retail vendor. It wouldn't be any different than ordering a Federation from Ron at Hatsdirect, which is essentially a Club Obi-wan member designed hat.

R

Red Beard

The way I understand it, unless it's made through a Fedora Lounge sponsor, we're not allowed to even discuss it. I figured that was the case, when after establishing it wasn't "official", we were still asked to hold... Corporate Policy.

Remember when Aaron Hats tried to do another run of 50/50 Fedoras for Loungers? He was more than willing to get the ball rolling on it. Unfortunately, circumstances beyond his control forced that to an end, but my point is this; Loungers would love to purchase a quality hat of their own design through a paying Sponsor of the Lounge. But, I think we all agree that not only would no other hat maker respond favorably to this project, but the quality if made by someone other than Akubra will be substandard.

Aaron Hats imports Akubra. He's a great guy and a sponsor of the Lounge. Maybe he'd be willing to take this idea to Akubra for us, maybe not. Maybe Akubra would make this hat for sale through him, exclusively, maybe not. I know he's not the biggest seller of Akubra in the states. Or, maybe this whole prospect would be very unappealing to him.

Either way, he's the only sponsor and Akubra dealer.

Beyond going that route, I don't think we'll be allowed to discuss it any further on this board.

griffer

Practically Family
Whoa, guys.

I know we are all excited about this, and we each have our takes on it, but in the end we don't own the 'joint'.

There is a brand to consider- the Fedora Lounge.com, and there are vendor considerations.

That means money. Not our money; not our brand.

In this very noisy thread, I would like to clearly state that I am more than willing to suspend further development discussions until the owners of this fine establishment cement a position.

Thanks to MK and the moderators for letting me hang my hat on their hook and kick back a few.

Cheers,

Griffer

R

Red Beard

You're right, Griffer.:eek:

I was putting the cart in front of the horse with my last post. My apologies all around. I don't want to give the wrong impression, I will completely understand any position they take on the matter and stand by it. I shouldn't have guessed about their reasoning, that was rude. I feel like I just walked in with mud on my shoes and sat down with a hat on.:eek:

RedPop4

One Too Many
As I said many pages back:
I don't have a heck of a lot of disposable income, and not a lot of friendly mojo at home when it comes to spending on hats. I would be enchanted if this were available at some point when I had found money.

But, more importantly,I repeat myself......I would hope that the admin. and the bartenders are of a sharp enough mind to pursue Nungar as an advertiser and thus avoid any conflict in this manner. Seems reasonable enough to me. It would be sad, after all this work for admin. to delete the thread or whatever, due to advertiser complaints. A lot of people have put a good deal of thought into this.

jml90

One of the Regulars
Mr. Rover said:
HJ, I don't see why the moderators have to be involved. From what I understand, a hat store will be making the order and then the fedora lounge members will be ordering from the retail vendor. It wouldn't be any different than ordering a Federation from Ron at Hatsdirect, which is essentially a Club Obi-wan member designed hat.

I agree with this completly or is it that we have to only endorse the vendors? But everytime it comes up we tell someone to "screw buying a new Stetson buy a vintage one". Eh just my two cents take it or leave it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo