Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A fun find

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
My dad was a jerk

My father worked at the fountain in a drugstore when he was growing up in North Carolina.
When Pepsi and Coca-Cola come up with "new" flavors like vanilla coke, cherry coke and lemon coke, I think back to when you could order one at a soda fountain. This was also when you could ask for a coke and not be sued by Coca-Cola (registered) if you served a none Coca-Cola product.

The sun goes down and The Wolf comes out,
The Wolf

Wild Root

Gone Home
That's cool! I thought that it would be fun to be a soda jerk!

You know, when Coke came out with the "New flavors" I laughed! My friends said: Rob, you have to try this new flavor of coke!

I would say that flavored Coke has been around since the 20's. I have tried Lemmon, Vanilla, Orange, Cherry, and even Chocolate Coke!

When it comes to Cola, I like the original Coca Cola! No Pepsi for me thanks!

Root

coca%20cola%20fountain%201939.jpg

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Cool Thing Is

There is a little soda fountian downtown looks like that.
The clerks are female, fifty, frumpy and disagreeable, but I guess you can't have everything.
Can get a phosphate though.

Richard

Familiar Face
look at the glass

in that coke ad! it's tiny! 6-8 oz i bet. Far cry from the super big gulp of today that gives you diabetes the minute you finish it.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I work as a waitress in a vintage soda fountain--and yes, I am trained as a soda jerk, too! I don’t wear the hat though—usually just a cap like this:
years1.jpg

A phosphate is made with flavored syrup, soda water and dash of phosphoric acid, which makes it extra tart.

We also serve egg creams--that would be syrup, soda water and cream--these are delicious!

The best part of the job is that I get to sample anything I want!

Anyway, regarding the size of beverages--back in the 40s, a glass of coke was a treat and a rarity for most. Nowadays, it practically replaces water! I do believe this change has helped to contribute to America’s weight problem—it has been said that if you make only one change to your diet by eliminating soda, you will lose 12 pounds in a year.

Out here, we have a place called “Pop! The Soda Shop� which sells bottled sodas and specializes in drinks made with pure cane sugar (as opposed to high fructose corn syrup.) They sell Dr. Pepper from the only plant that still uses sugar, as well as Nehi sodas. They also sell two types of Coke—Mexican coke, which is made with sugar and is essentially the Coke of the 1970s; and Dutch Coke, which is also made with sugar cane. Because Holland has very strict food preparation laws, this is the same Coke of the 1940s. It comes in eight ounce bottles and tastes so different from the stuff that’s on the shelves today—much drier and crisper. I love it!

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Jerkette?

Thanks 'Doll for the Phosphate update- extra tart is one more than I need.

Is the Phosphoric acid added as an agricultural fertilizer, a detergent or an insecticide? Just don't get it in your eyes!

Yes, the soda/weight problem- people nowadays drink soda all day long and the stuff contains a lot of calories but it's not food and doesn't 'fill you up',
so on top of a typical bad diet, folks sre getting way, way too many calories.
Soda dehydrates you too, just like coffee- makes you thirstier-
-viscious cycle-

Thats interesting about the Dutch Coke too.

I love the old-time soda culture.

Thanks again- you're a veritable fountain of knowledge.
:beer: Dutch Cola

B
T

I used to work at the Coca Cola plant here in my college days. The best stuff was always what we would send out of California! :rage: The Cactus Cooler for Arizona and the Southwest was great. It was perfect cold and it wasn't super fizzy so it went down easy. We used to stock the break room fridge with it. ;) The next best was Fanta Pineapple. Man that was good. The strangest was Coca Cola for Japan. It was sort of sweeter and gingery tasting. They would allow you to take home a six pack a day. Saved a lot of money. ;) I wish I could still get Cactus Coller though. MMMM...MMM.

Regards to all,

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot