Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Great Man Gone.

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
I'm feeling a bit lost right now. I found out a few minutes ago that my great Uncle Tom died this afternoon. He was the closest thing I had to a grandpa, and he was an amazing man. He had Alzheimer's. I was warned that he'd been admitted to the hospital last weekend because he wasn't doing well. His weight was down to 110 pounds - too low for a man near 6' tall.

Uncle Tom married Aunt Eileen July 1, 1944. He was a pilot in WWII and flew in Africa. He coached high school football when he returned from the war. He was soft spoken, but quick with a smartass remark if it was needed. He kept Aunt Eileen in check when she got ahead of herself in what she wanted to do. I remember him always saying "What's the plan, Eileen? A man's gotta have a plan!"

My parents got to see Aunt Eileen and Uncle Tom when they were in Ohio at the end of May for Dad's 50th high school reunion. I'm glad they got to visit with him one last time.

It feels like that whole generation is slipping away from me. I have two great aunts left, and then my grannie. After they go.... *sigh*

If you have anyone from that generation left, hug them, love them, and find out all the stories you can while they are around.

Technonut

Practically Family
It feels like that whole generation is slipping away from me. I have two great aunts left, and then my grannie. After they go.... *sigh*

If you have anyone from that generation left, hug them, love them, and find out all the stories you can while they are around.

So true, and very good advice... I wish I would have taken the time to find out more about my relatives' experiences.

I am sorry for your loss Babydoll.

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
Fletch, that should tell you how awesome he was. He didn't need to be loud to get attention. He just had the personality that people wanted to be around him because he was Tom.

Another great memory I have of him is when I visited about a dozen years ago, he was showing me some of his prized relics from The War. Imagine my surprise when he brought out a big black garbage bag, and from the bag he pulled an ornate sword that he'd picked up in his travels. Oh, the stories he told!

Hondo

One Too Many
My condolences as well, this year I've lost many good friends, my uncle as well to cancer, death isn't easy. Alzheimer, thats a tragedy, very sad, if that uncle was on your side of the family, do see a doctor, just to check early signs. Take care.
=peace=

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
Babydoll, my thoughts are with you and your family in this difficult time. I am sorry for your loss.

I wish I had thought to get my grandmother's stories on tape or to jot them down while she was alive. Her stores of the Depression were amazing. Perhaps your family could all write their favorite stories he told for a family memento book to honor him?

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
Hondo said:
My condolences as well, this year I've lost many good friends, my uncle as well to cancer, death isn't easy. Alzheimer, thats a tragedy, very sad, if that uncle was on your side of the family, do see a doctor, just to check early signs. Take care.
=peace=

He was my father's uncle. I will keep that in mind. Thank you.

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
I really hate that for you, Babydoll. I have lost all my grandparents now. I spent about a third of my life with my mother's parents. I pretty much grew up there. My grandfather died probably 10 years ago now, and my grandmother just a year or two after. I miss them both terribly, especially "Pa", still.

I still have a couple of great aunts, but never was close to them. I even knew two of my great grandmothers. One died when I was in grade school, while the other died probably a year or two after I graduated high school. Mine is about the last generation that knew their relatives who lived in "the golden age".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy