Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Hat for Camp

MagistrateChris

One of the Regulars
In a couple of months, I will don my adventuring gear and head off to camp with my Scouts. As you can no doubt sense, I'll be facing great danger along the way. ;)

What I need are some suggestions for a hat to wear at camp. I'm partial to the Indy type fedora, but frankly expect that June in Central Ohio will be hot and humid enough to make me sweat right through any hat I wear, so I'd prefer to keep expenses down. Also, being at camp, maintainance will likely be taking it off at night, and putting it on in the morning. Also, bear in mind that on occassion, I'll be wearing the hat with a Scout uniform, so I'll be wearing a khaki shirt and olive pants with the hat, so a dark brown hat is probably the best bet in terms of color co-ordination.

Suggestions?

TWLyon

New in Town
Smokey Bear types in khaki felt are the traditional choice. I still remember a few of the adult leaders wearing them when I worked at a Boy Scout camp in the late 60's.

If you search, you can probably get an army surplus one for cheap. I guy on eBay just had a bunch of fur felt ones for the outrageous price of $10.00. You're not out much if you don't like it. I think you can get them in straw and synthetics that are probably cooler, but they don't look as good IMHO.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Looks like others were typing as I was taking a look. As already mentioned, campaign hats are the traditional scouting hat. These days Stratton hats are the ones most readily available. There's a guy on ebay with the ID 5hunter who sells them in both felt and straw for under $40. He doesn't seem to have any in tan or khaki available at the moment, but you might want to contact him to see if he can help you out. He's out of the Dayton area. Or do a search for Stratton hats online.

I was also going to suggest Akubra hats; something vented if going with felt.

Or perhaps something like the Downturn by Tesi I found on Bencraft Hatter's site. It doesn't have a wide ribbon to show sweat stains.! :D I don't have any experience with any of the hats mentioned, just giving out ideas

I hope this helps!

Tom

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
What about an inexpensive "calado" vented
panama hat from Panamabob? You can get
one of the Ecuadoran blocked panamas for
a very reasonable price. With the venting
it'd be ideal for hot weather. And classic, too.

http://www.panamas.biz/

I don't see the vented hats on his site,
but I'm sure you can find out by dropping
him a note on his site. I believe he also
has a brown "Indy" panama now...

Big Man

Considering your recent post in another thread about "the golf cart incident", you may want to consider some kind of helmet ... :D

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. [huh]

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Big Man said:
...you may want to consider some kind of helmet ...

I know--pith helmet! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

0625.gif

Cheers,
Tom

P.S. Not completely joking here. A pith helmet would certainly do the trick so far as providing sun protection, some cooling, and being somewhat rugged. I got one (vintage) to use working on the property here in southern Ohio but the sweatband turned out to be too dried out to use. Hats in the Belfry and Village Hat Shop have them as well, and they're not that expensive.

carldelo

One Too Many
Say yeth to pith

OK, bad joke, but I really was going to suggest a pith helmet. VHS has many types - note you can dip them in the water to really cool off. There's a low-cost straw version for $20, like mail carriers wear, I think. Should look OK with a scout uniform.

http://www.villagehatshop.com/pith_helmet.html

If you're really going to brutalize your hat, you could try this one from noggintops. It's tech-straw (i.e. polypropylene) in a C-crown shape. I use it as my kayaking hat, and it is water, salt, sweat and probably bomb-proof. It feels cooler than regular straw to me. The code APRIL08 will get you $10 off the price until April 14th.

http://www.noggintops.com/page.cfm?p=156

MagistrateChris

One of the Regulars
Big Man said:
Considering your recent post in another thread about "the golf cart incident", you may want to consider some kind of helmet ... :D

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. [huh]

Bravo. Should have seen that one coming.

Big Man

MagistrateChris said:
Bravo. Should have seen that one coming.

You should have seen that big curve coming too (but to bring that up would be rubbing it in, wouldn't it). :D

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
I would second the idea of a Campaign Hat. Nothing is going to look more "right" with a Scout uniform. Just make sure you get it long enough ahead of time to kind of break it in and get rid of the glass flat brim. They're kind of "dude" looking when brand new.

1970_Plymouth_Makes_It_015_jpg.jpg

-Dave

Interbak

One of the Regulars
I picked up a great tan canvas baseball cap (I know, I know, duck out of the way of flying rocks and such) at Eddy Bauer last fall with 2 bright white LEDs lights in the brim. Just the thing when you have to sneak away from the campfire to answer natures call.

Brian

Interbak said:
I picked up a great tan canvas baseball cap (I know, I know, duck out of the way of flying rocks and such) at Eddy Bauer last fall with 2 bright white LEDs lights in the brim. Just the thing when you have to sneak away from the campfire to answer natures call. Brian
Use caution when selecting the leaf, too!:eek:

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
As a former Boy Scout leader (Scoutmaster, Wood Badge, Order of the Arrow) I would agree that the campaign hat is second to none for any BSA activity. I have an official BSA campaign hat that I have worn for 20 years. Supremely functional in all kinds of weather and the more beat-up it gets, the better it looks. The boys and the other adults will recognize that you take your responsibility seriously. Take as your model Sir Robert Baden-Powell, Chief Scout of the World.
bp.jpg

Big Man

Wolfmanjack said:
... The boys and the other adults will recognize that you take your responsibility seriously ...

I think this statement sums it all up very well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany