Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Loose Affiliation of Ribbons Niether Wide nor Thin

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
There's a thread for thins and a thread for really wides.
This is the thread for the rest of us.

Let's see those kind-of-thin-but-not-really-thin-enough-to-be-considered-thin-ribboned hats.

Stetson Casual
DSC_0002-2.jpg

Stetson Playboy
StetsonPlayboyVitafelt1.jpg

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
The Stetson Chatham in my avatar.

<-

That was one of the original attractions of that hat for me. However, the poor thing has been denounced by my Akubra Federation a fortnight ago, which has a ribbon which is relatively wide.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Another great idea for a thread, Lefty! :eusa_clap

Here's a few you've already seen elsewhere, but what the heck:

Knox Vagabond:

knoxvagabondoffwhites.jpg

A Resistol:

DSC01898.jpg

A Sussex:

SussexHatsdouble-boundedge1.jpg

Stetson Week-Ender:

TomandCharles.jpg

Champ Featherweight:

ChampFeatherweighttan.jpg

Cheers,
Tom

buler

I'll Lock Up
Ole #1

Many of my favorite hats are "not so thin ribbons". This was my first hat and still one of my top 3. From Superior hat co in Ohio. Yet to see another Superior.

B

3351592771_84ba65c740_o.jpg

HosManHatter

One of the Regulars
It`s amazing how something so simple and basic as the width of the ribbon can change the whole look of the hat. Thanks for posting! :)

HMH

Stan

A-List Customer
Hi,

So, are we talking 9 to 16 ligne, then or is it 6 to 12 or is it over 4 but under 19?

I just had to ask! lol

I gotta get something rigged to post photos one of these days. I have a few hats that fit this thread. I'm fond of 6 to 12 ligne myself when I'm not using 4 (which have to go in the thin ribbon thread).

I do have one hat with 19 on it, which I think of as being intermediate. It was a c'boy hat I restyled into a diamond crease but left the brim at 3" (it balanced well with the crown height).

With the taller crown, I felt that 19 was intermediate and like using 12 on a dress hat....

I know, I know. We need pix and I'm worthless! lol

later!

Stan

Stan

A-List Customer
HosManHatter said:
It`s amazing how something so simple and basic as the width of the ribbon can change the whole look of the hat. Thanks for posting! :)

HMH

Hi,

Yes. It most certainly can.

Also, the color can make a huge difference as well. A slight change in shade can also make a huge difference.

I've been messing around with changing ribbons. I'm onto this kick of picking up unloved hats for little money these days, then cleaning them and reworking them.

I used to try hard to save the original ribbons, until I picked up some rolls here and there. One day it occurred to me that I didn't have to stick with what was there to begin with, either in width or color.

Well, my stock is small and while I have a good selection of colors I don't even come close to having more than a couple colors in different widths (save black and white). So, I now choose for color and then the width has to be what it is. Most of my stock is 6, 9, 12 and 16 ligne, so there you go.

I know, I know. There are no pix and I'm worthless! lol

Later!

Stan

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
buler said:
Here is another favorite that is in current rotation. An older Marathon.

There are a lot of nice hats here, but I think you're owning this thread.

buler

I'll Lock Up
Kimball

I think this is the last one I have with the in between ribbon size. Its a Kimball with an unusual bow tie.

B

Kimball_2_alt.jpg

Spats McGee

One Too Many
I kinda like these mid-ribbons. One of my favorites is The Covington, made by Mike Moore at Buckaroo Hatters. It's my only 100% beaver, but I hope it won't be the last. This picture was originally posted by RBH, who owned the hat first, but I don't think he'll mind if I hijack it for this thread.

hpim4721.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass