Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Myth Debunked

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
The myth: That a disproportionately high percentage of body heat escapes through a hatless head.

The Guardian said:
The myth is thought to have arisen through a flawed interpretation of a vaguely scientific experiment by the US military in the 1950s

The report is a little stale but it's news to me.

fmw

One Too Many
It has always seemed to me that those of us who have a full head of hair probably lose very little heat through the head. My appendages feel cold before anything else, particularly fingers and toes. I don't know whether feeling cold has anything to do with heat loss but it seems logical that it would - at least in terms of the surface area involved. There are plenty of reasons to wear hat besides keeping warm.

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Well, if every other part of my body is covered except for my head, than it makes sense that it's the area losing the most heat. Sounds like some researcher forgot to test the experiment with other appendages. And if I'm outside with no part of my body covered, then worrying about where exactly the heat is being lost from sounds like the least of my worries. And there you have two of the most important tips for surviving. Being thorough, and being clothed.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I just know that when its cold and I dont wear a hat my head and body get cold. When I do wear a hat my head and body stay warmer. And when its warm to hot my whole body gets warmer when I have a hat on my head.

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
I always thought that claim was a bit suspect. After all, every organ that generates heat is in the trunk of the body. The brain does not generate as much heat as the trunk of the body. Anyway, good to get the facts but it won't affect my interest in hats wither way.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The myth: That a disproportionately high percentage of body heat escapes through a hatless head.

The report is a little stale but it's news to me.

I can accept that less body heat escapes through the head than previously estimated. What worries me though is that thoughts will escape from my head unnecessarily in cold weather. If I wear a hat, I will have a greater chance of keeping these in, it seems to me. So I'll continue hat-wearing even in the face of the temperature evidence.

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
I can accept that less body heat escapes through the head than previously estimated. What worries me though is that thoughts will escape from my head unnecessarily in cold weather. If I wear a hat, I will have a greater chance of keeping these in, it seems to me. So I'll continue hat-wearing even in the face of the temperature evidence.

... any tin foil liners in them thar hats??

LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80