Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A New Art Fawcett Original

mingoslim

Practically Family
I recently ordered the Sportaire from Mr. Fawcett . . . It is an incredible hat! The beaver felt is so soft and pliable . . . The fit is perfection. It is a work of Art.

Below are posted pics as it looked out of the box . . . (The hat box, by the way, is a beauty too!)

vs-sportaire01-before.jpg

vs-sportaire03-before.jpg

vs-sportaire02-before.jpg

With Mr. Fawcett's consent, I did a little bit of reblocking, to personalize this wonderful fedora . . . a bit more pinched to the front . . . a bit more rake from front to back . . . See what you think.

vs-sportaire01-after.jpg

I was so delighted that I borke the bank and ordered another VS original . . . The Route 66 . . . Probably the last I will be able to afford for a while, but well worth it!

One word of warning to you all . . . I tried to second guess Mr. Fawcett, and asked for the brim to be a bit narrower than the specs he posted. I thought a 2 3.4 inch brim would just be too broad . . . So I reduced it just a smidge. But looking at the hat now that I have it, I realize a slightly broader brim would be better . . . I will never second guess Mr. Fawcett's advice again. He is THE MAN!

vonwotan

Practically Family
Gotta love Art's work. That is one very fine looking hat!

I too visit his web site regularly to speculate about what comes next. Every time I see another member's beautiful work of Art it starts me thinking. I really need to keep focused and order an unblocked Panamabob hat for Art to block...

Simon82

One of the Regulars
Trust Art -- He KNOWS!

Slim,

Superb-looking hat! I do like the rake you gave it, but I agree that in general, best to go with Art's intuition. I had asked for an Open-Road type hat in "Mojave" (light tan -- or is that "Sahara"?) with a contrasting brown thin ribbon and brim trim, but he wisely suggested a color that matched (it's visible on the "client-designed page" of the VS website).

I realized after I got it how much nicer and classic it looks with Art's choice of ribbon, and how many more outfits it complements done his way.

Again, nicely chosen, Slim. That's a keeper! :eusa_clap

analogist

One of the Regulars
Sportaire

Mingo;

Proceed with caution!! My first VS hat was a Sportaire and I too own a Route 66. I am hardly complaining but my small digs here in NYC do resemble the warehouse of VS Custom hats.

Don'tsay I didn"t warn you but I will tell you that each one is better than the last.

Enjoy!

analogist

cooncatbob

Practically Family
Great hat: Art's making a Hoosier for me. While waiting for Art I bought a Gray Federation which has the same dimensions 2 3/4 front 2 1/2 sides. After wearing the had all day I came to believe that the brim was too wide for my rather narrow face. I sent Art an e-mail voicing my concern and a picture, he conquered and is going to make my hat with 2 1/2 front and 2 3/8 on the side. They're more variables to proper hat fitting then just the circumference of ones head.
Having Art confirm my suspicion gave me the encouragement to trim a 1/4 inch off the brim of my Federation. Art make a true custom hat and I can't wait to get mine, I've yet to hear a bad word about his work.
Bob.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Thanks for the post Slim, and for the comments Gents. Jerekson, the ribbon isn't that shiny in person but rather the light bouncing off the grosgrain. (I'm guessing camera flash) Looks almost irredescent, doesn't it? I've discovered it's REALLY tough to photograph hats accurately. I've got a great camera so I know it's me, but boy, it's tough to get the lighting right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot