Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A New Schott Model: The 603USA Cafecto

Nobody is arguing..........please continue...........:)
I'll take the bait and say the following...HD is right 100%. Schott can't compete with the likes of Vanson. ( in most circumstances )
Here's why:
There are quantifiable differences between Schott and Vanson. Having owned dozens, literally, dozens of each maker this is why I believe this to be true: 1. Weight, it takes two 118's to equal 1 model E. 2. purpose driven cuts and 3. ease of customization.
The same applies up the chain. It's not a pyramid with a gold tip builder at the top. It's a circle with customers needs being met around it. Schott makes a great jacket, no doubt and no argument. I would argue the 654 is the finest looking CR ever designed in history. Vanson makes a better piece of purpose driven gear. Vanson is not a brand known outside the riding community. A Schott jacket can be purchased through Nordstrom. And the same jacket can be seen on their website advertised as legit riding gear. It's not. Not even close. A 2.5 oz pebbled, naked CHP is not gear. It will shread like mozzarella on low slide across pavement.

And I also feel, Aero makes a much nicer piece of casual gear. I'd certainly prefer my bootlegger to my model E out on the town, off the bike.

Please don't get me wrong here. I love Schott jackets, owned a stack of them, love Vanson jackets, owned a stack too. There's no knocking the quality, workmanship, history and aesthetic of a Schott. But if I find myself slip sliding away down a piece of asphalt...I for damn sure hope I'm in my Vanson and nothing else! They are meant for it, will repair the damage (for free in some cases) and have built their name on saving peoples asses, to wit there are many testimonials and track proven stories.

It's really not a question of superiority. That's a silly argument, I think, as both makers produce fine goods. It's purpose. What's the purpose. Choose accordingly.

Last edited:

kronos77

One of the Regulars
Ton,

You made some good points and answered a few questions I had. Though your example used the pebbled cowhide leather used in some Schott jackets. I was really thinking of the leather used in their premium jackets: NAked Cowhide, Steerhide and Horsehide. I don't see any of the premium moto jackets shredding on the pavement. Would you agree? But yes, I understand the wider advantages of a Vanson for a dedicated riding jacket.

As for casual wear, I think this is entirely subjective. I would say this:

Schott Naked Cowhide: Stunningly Beautiful
Aero CXL Horsehide: Ruggedly handsome

It depends on if you like beautiful or handsome. On the subject of leather specifically, I like both.

Ton,

You made some good points and answered a few questions I had. Though your example used the pebbled cowhide leather used in some Schott jackets. I was really thinking of the leather used in their premium jackets: NAked Cowhide, Steerhide and Horsehide. I don't see any of the premium moto jackets shredding on the pavement. Would you agree? But yes, I understand the wider advantages of a Vanson for a dedicated riding jacket.

As for casual wear, I think this is entirely subjective. I would say this:

Schott Naked Cowhide: Stunningly Beautiful
Aero CXL Horsehide: Ruggedly handsome

It depends on if you like beautiful or handsome. On the subject of leather specifically, I like both.
Absolutely. Now I will say my 118's (two) were naked cow. IMHO way to "soft" for proper gear. Vansons comp weight is hard. Like a f'ing brick. Not comfortable in anyway. It yields. But you earn it.

Schott has the used equally tough leathers, albeit much more sparingly. If they could find a way to make these hides the norm, along with accommodating some simple alteration related requests...we'd have ourselves a buzzer beater.

There is still a difference in Vanson 'construction' over Schott. When I sit on my bike wearing my Schott with hands on the bars, the sleeves ride up much more than with my Vanson. Must be the way the Vanson sleeve design is put together.
Not a big fan of naked leather as far as the riding elements are concerned. Is this the Schott naked leather that you are talking about....https://www.schottnyc.com/products/hand-oiled-lightweight-naked-brown.htm?catID=8 This oiled leather seems to have different properties compared to regular naked hide. It does look good although high priced.
As I've said before IMO Schott once consistently used much better hides in the past. I purchased my first Schott Perfecto in approx the mid '70s after admiring a riding buddy's who had wore one for a couple of years. Both of our Schotts had heavy, grainy steer with a finish similar to the comp steer that Vanson uses today.
HD

Last edited:
A friend of mine from Oregon tells me that when he used to go try on Langlitz jackets the salesman would pull you around the store while you sat on the jacket to make sure it was ok for riding.

kronos77

One of the Regulars
Not a big fan of naked leather as far as the riding elements are concerned. Is this the Schott naked leather that you are talking about....https://www.schottnyc.com/products/hand-oiled-lightweight-naked-brown.htm?catID=8 This oiled leather seems to have different properties compared to regular naked hide. It does look good although high priced.

HD

No. The naked cowhide I am talking about is this...

https://www.schottnyc.com/products/classic-racer-leather-motorcycle-jacket.htm

I like this CM1
Screen Shot 2016-05-16 at 1.49.04 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-05-16 at 1.49.28 PM.png

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I still don't understand how Schott, the biggest manufacturer of OTR, non-mall jackets (sort-of) can run out of certain sizes and models and not offer certain models in the US and EU. Also, given the fit problems we see here all the time, I have to wonder how anyone can order from them at all: for instance, I'm about a 39 (a 38 is usually a bit too small and a 40 too big), so why would I risk ordering a jacket from a company that wouldn't accommodate me? When I ordered my LHB from Aero a few years back, I simply asked them to up the size an inch or so, and Julie nailed it. I've often wondered how Schott stays in business.

kronos77

One of the Regulars
I still don't understand how Schott, the biggest manufacturer of OTR, non-mall jackets (sort-of) can run out of certain sizes and models and not offer certain models in the US and EU. Also, given the fit problems we see here all the time, I have to wonder how anyone can order from them at all: for instance, I'm about a 39 (a 38 is usually a bit too small and a 40 too big), so why would I risk ordering a jacket from a company that wouldn't accommodate me? When I ordered my LHB from Aero a few years back, I simply asked them to up the size an inch or so, and Julie nailed it. I've often wondered how Schott stays in business.

Tough to argue with that. Schott lost two sales from me because they can't manage to take an inch or two off their jackets here or there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner