Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Pair Of "Champs".....

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have a Birthday coming up in November and the wife told me "if I don't mind knowing what my present would be ahead of time"......while searching OFAS, I could find a hat if I wanted. What a silly question.....:D

Well, last week I happen to stumble across these 2 "Champs" that were up for auction, so I thought....what the heck, maybe I can get a 2-fer, well....as luck would have it, she only had to spend $34.oo shipped and I'm thrilled. I'd say she got off cheap. :eek:

Here's the 1st one, it's a Dark Chocolate Brown "Triumph"

Champ3.jpg

It came with a feather and a little pin, the pin looks like a little crest or shield of some sort, very tiny. I think it says Roma on it.
Champ4.jpg

Champ6.jpg

Champ7.jpg

Champ2.jpg

Champ1.jpg

It has a 5" crown with a bit of a stingy brim @ an 1 7/8" and an even darker brown 2" wide ribbon.

2nd one to follow.......

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
2nd Champ......

The 2nd one is a beauty......kind of a Taupe-ish color a bit different though. It has a tapered crown at 5" front to 4 1/4" back with a 2 1/2" welted brim the welt is a bit wide at 7/16" with a 1 1/2" black ribbon.

Champ12.jpg

Champ9.jpg

Champ14.jpg

Champ16.jpg

Champ15.jpg

Champ8.jpg

Champ17.jpg

Ok, now it's back into the box with them....:( I promised her I'd wait until my Birthday. [huh]

Razzman

One Too Many
I'll second WEEGEE'S statement. Both are great looking hats. But I sure do like the second one with the wide brim. Congratulations on a great pick-up.:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
bolthead, you certainly got a great birthday present, there (Er, at least you will get)! I do have to agree with everyone else, That second one is worth the price of the pair (maybe a lot more). I keep going back to the detail shot of the edge stitching. When you get unusual and nice, in one piece, you've got something special! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

WEEGEE

Practically Family
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Well its really not fair to the hats that have waited 50+ years to be on your head...maybe you can get next years gift a month late...;) lol

RBH

Bartender
bolthead said:
The 2nd one is a beauty......

Champ8.jpg

WOW Bolt both hats look wonderful. But my fave has to be the 2nd. I really like the brim stitching and I just like the wider brim on you.
But the 1st hat really looks like you with the narrow brim. All in all I would say you have already had a great birthday!
Oh and a Happy early B-Day from Arkansas!

tandmark

One of the Regulars
Hi,

I've got to go against the stream here, bolthead.

To my eye, the first Champ, the chocolate-brown Triumph with the sorta stingy brim, is the one that looks more flattering on you. It works better with your skin tone & brings out your eyes more. The taupe-ish one washes your natural coloration out. To my eye.

If I'd see these puppies on a shelf at a shop like Bernie Utz a few blocks from here, I'd go for the taupe-y one too. It's got some interesting design features like that brim edge. Add 'em all up & it probably means it was a more upscale hat than the Triumph.

But if you're picking a hat that's gonna go on you and not on a hatrack, I say pick the one that best works *with* you. In this case, it looks to me like that'd be the Triumph.

Either way, for $34, you've really got a major score! :eusa_clap

Cheers,
Mark

fatwoul

Practically Family
tandmark said:
...To my eye, the first Champ, the chocolate-brown Triumph with the sorta stingy brim, is the one that looks more flattering on you. It works better with your skin tone & brings out your eyes more. The taupe-ish one washes your natural coloration out. To my eye...

I'd go along with that. Kinda has a little of the Bruce Willis Last Man Standing quality going on, and I agree with the colour comment too.

Both great hats, but yeah, the first one suits you better.

I still have this thing about paler hats, though. I don't have the nerve to wear one.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Although I usually prefer wider brims, I have to go with Tandmark -- I think you look better in the first hat, though I think you look pretty good in the second hat, too.

I envy those who can wear the cool stingy brims, you have to have a slimmer face than I have.

Congrats on your two Champs -- they are both great hats for different occasions and looks.

karol

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Hi, Bolthead!

Congrats on a couple of great hats! I have to agree with the others, the darker one looks better on you, but I do like the wider-brimmed one. I have a couple of Champs and they are up there in my list of favorite hats.

So, your birthday is Nov 13th, eh? My wife's is Nov 12th, and mine and my sister-in-law's are both Nov 11th. November is a good month! Well, except for the fact that here in Ohio the BMV sets it up so all of your vehicle registrations come due during your birth month.:eusa_doh:

Cheers,
Tom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24