Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A place of No Ribbon!

icemanxxxv

Familiar Face
Well I've converted a Rancher Style Cowboy hat to a nice outdoors fedora, I'll post that later in the Conversion Thread when done. The only thing keeping me from finishing the hat is a ribbon!
I live in no man's land when it comes to Cotton/Rayon Grosgrain ribbon. No fabric stores or specialty stores carry any. That being said I have found a source online but it comes with a 35 dollar minimum order and spools of 50 yards! I'm not against making the order but I don't want to get stuck all that ribbon I'll have to order a couple of rolls to meet the minimum order.
My hat is gray and I don't want a black ribbon, I'm looking for input on ribbon color and width, because I would like to be able to provide ribbon to the folks here at minimal cost for their own experimentation.

Other than Black what colors and sizes would you consider? The widest they carry is 1 and 1/2 inch.
Thanks

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
You could call Optimo and order a ribbon pre-made. They'll send it in the mail for something like $25. All you'd have to do is tack it on.

icemanxxxv

Familiar Face
You could call Optimo and order a ribbon pre-made. They'll send it in the mail for something like $25. All you'd have to do is tack it on.

Yeah I can buy them but I'm looking to do it all myself. Call me funny that way I guess. I'm sure there are people who could use a little ribbon too.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
OK
I'm going to be of absolutely no help whatsoever, but here goes ...
I've converted eight westerns into fedoras so far and I have the same ribbon issue. In my work, I can end up just about anywhere out of the office, so the toughness of the "super fedora" is a must.
No local ribbon, other than the usual poly junk from the Giant W store ... you know the one.
However, about three hours away, in college town, there's a quilting store that carried Petersham
Every time we are there, I pick up a couple of yards of different shades and widths and just keep them put back.
I try to add to the selection each time I'm there ... emphasizing different shades and width of black ... so I can always fall back on that.
I'm not familiar with Smithville, but KC, St Louis and Springfield all would be worth checking on.
Good luck
BTW ...
I paused and looked up Smithville.
The quilt shop is in Lawrence, Ks. You're closer to it than I am. It's on Mass St, downtown, and they can set you up with all the Petersham you'll ever need.

Sam

icemanxxxv

Familiar Face
OK
I'm going to be of absolutely no help whatsoever, but here goes ...
I've converted eight westerns into fedoras so far and I have the same ribbon issue. In my work, I can end up just about anywhere out of the office, so the toughness of the "super fedora" is a must.
No local ribbon, other than the usual poly junk from the Giant W store ... you know the one.
However, about three hours away, in college town, there's a quilting store that carried Petersham
Every time we are there, I pick up a couple of yards of different shades and widths and just keep them put back.
I try to add to the selection each time I'm there ... emphasizing different shades and width of black ... so I can always fall back on that.
I'm not familiar with Smithville, but KC, St Louis and Springfield all would be worth checking on.
Good luck
BTW ...
I paused and looked up Smithville.
The quilt shop is in Lawrence, Ks. You're closer to it than I am. It's on Mass St, downtown, and they can set you up with all the Petersham you'll ever need.

Sam

Lawrence Kansas! Road trip Next weekend. I sure like the way you under played your hand at first. Gee's you are the MAN with the answer I've been looking for! Thanks! I'm so there next Thursday!

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Iceman,
Let me know how it works out,
The Petersham is in the back of the store, just ask the clerks.
The store is on the same side of Mass as Weaver's Dept. Store and just a ways south. You can't miss it.

Good luck,

Sam

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24