Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A "Real" Panama Hat on a Budget

The Mad Hatter

A-List Customer
What are the minimum characteristics of a "real" Panama Hat. I have a finite budget and other priorities. So I want a Panama Hat that passes muster but prefer to spend no more than would be necessary to get one.

Yes, it must be from Montecristi, but what else? How fine a weave is accpetable. What else should I insist upon? How do I distinguish between inexpensive and cheap? On the other hand, what - although desireable - would be a frill that I could do without?

Thanks in advance.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
A "Straw Poll"?

That is a tough question. You might as well ask what kind of car to buy. You didn't state your price range, so that doesn't help. You can get a decent panama style hat from "Miller Hats.com", but it won't be a "real" Montecristi.

If you want best VALUE and QUALITY, contact Panama Bob. He can supply you with some super bodies. I believe Art is also getting some bodies and will be producing straws soon. Highly recommend that approach. I guess you can spend about 1/3 the amount that route than other quality vendors.

Just ask thoses guys.

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Fineness of weave

The single most important factor in determining the value of a Panama hat is
1) fineness of weave. Three other important factors that affect the price are
2) evenness of weave, 3) color of straw, 4) shaping and finishing. The 5) size of the hat can also affect price.

I hope this helps.

Many hats on Epray are not real Montecristi hats so beware

The Mad Hatter

A-List Customer
OK, I have been told that 300 weaves / sq inch marks the borderline between a good and bad hat (all other factors being equal).

True or false?

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
False

I would say false.

I have one thats 250 wpsi.and its a fine hat. Many sellers would call it a Fino grade. It has nice color even back weave and the weaves are nice and straight. I didn't pay an arm and a leg for it either.

I would just let your vendor know what your price point is and let him get you the best hat he can for what you can afford!! :)

http://www.ecuador.us/montecristi.htm

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
I'll put it bluntly...300 wpsi is a common hat...a really nice hat. Some people say a hat over 900 is rare. What I find harder to buy are hats above 1400.

I have real hats on ebay with more than 300 wpsi for a terrifically low price and I know we still make a few dimes on them.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Good reference to read on your question

OK I know some folks don't like touting the wares of some vendors over others, and this is NOT MY INTENTION.

Here is a link to Brent Black's web site. It really does a great job of explaining the weave count, straw, fineness, color, and workmanship.

I have bought a couple of hats from him, and have found him to be a good person. There are other sellers who have much better prices. Do your homework and enjoy this web site. Again, it is really informative as a starting point.

Brent Black "Why one hat costs more than another"

android

One of the Regulars
It should have backwoven edge, not sewn. A real Montecristi *should* have this, so if the hat has a stitched edge, it is most likely a Cuenca someone is trying to pass off as a Montecristi.

The Mad Hatter

A-List Customer
I'll put it bluntly...300 wpsi is a common hat...a really nice hat.

Just to be sure that I understand you correctly, by "common" you mean "frequent," "typical," "standard" and not "vulgar", "de classe," "plebian"?

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
A nice Montecristi

I was talking to Robert this evening and we talked about my next Montecristi i want.

The one i wrote about in the above post is a very nice typical or standard Montecristi hat.
Nothing vulgar about it! :)

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Montecristi and Cuenca are two different locales, they produce two different types of weaves, respectively. At least, that's what I've been told.

gcollins

One of the Regulars
I may parry with PanamaBob from time to time, but he is the real expert on Monticristis here. Call him up, talk to him. That will be get you the hat you want at the price you're looking for.

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
Common, in Indiana at least, means that it is something frequently seen. In Montecristi you can find a 250-300 weave hat in every mom and pop storefront. A common hat. I know that in other parts of the country/world common may have a different connotation.

A grueso hat is actually less common...grueso meaning thick or coarse.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
The answer is there for you

Mycroft said:
What is a Montecristi, I thought it was something and then I heard/read something else?

Mycroft, did you read the previous posts?

Montecristi are hats made in Equador....Cuenca are also, but from a different reigon, and a different process.

I have both. My finer Cuenca's are really nice. My super fino Montecristi are far better, but I have lesser Montecristi which are not as good loooking as the Cuenca's. You have to look and compare. I like them both.

I suggest you read "The Panama Hat" and excellent book.

Also, go to the Brent Black site if for no other reason to read the sections on the making of hats, the difference between them, and the quality. His web site is quite good for information on these topics.

http://www.brentblack.com/styles_cost.htm

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ormbingley