Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A story I think the ladies would enjoy...

epr25

Practically Family
That almost made me cry. I think that must have been destiny!
I had a similar thing (kind of) happen to me. When I first moved to Fort Wayne I was 19. My grandmother had just passed away and we had just broken up her house hold. She had so many vintage clothes. I can not even think about all the stuff that got (gulp) thrown out. I had no idea at the time I was young and dumb. But there were a couple outfits that made it through that I for some reason had the presence of mind to save. Anyway when I first moved here I was poor like everyone else of that age. There was a vintage clothing store that was always buying things. So I took some clothes and the one suit that I had with me that belonged to grandmother and sold it. Several years later after my interest of vintage had grown to be a daily wearing thing I was shopping in there and saw the suit. I started to cry. The owner asked me what was wrong so I proceeded to tell her the long drawn out story. Needless to say she gave me a good deal and it now is safe and sound with me. I can't even wear it because it is to small but I still feel better just knowing that it is in my possession.​

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
That compact story is wonderful, the things you stumble across years later.
I also love your story about the suit epr25!

I feel that way about my Grandma's gloves, she's still with me and when she saw me wearing gloves one time she took me up to her condo unit, pulled out thise tiny little box and the most magnificent little fingerless, net gloves!(you can see them on in the purchase thread with my green dress)
She wore them as a bridesmaid to her sister's wedding, in what must have been the early 30's, and held onto them all these years. Now they're in my keeping, and I'm looking for the perfect keep sake box to put them in.

Viviene

Vendor
You're welcome. I'm finding that lots of the people I'm interviewing have stories like this to share.

Another friend who is a vintage clothing and collectibles seller just had a lady in her 90s contact her about a picture she had in her store. It seems that the artist had presented this picture as a gift to her father and after her father passed away the picture disappeared. The woman's son was on the internet and found the picture in my friend's store. My friend had purchased the picture in a box lot at a local auction. Evidently the lady's father had lived only 20 miles from where my friend attended the auction.

From putting the pieces together the lady was able to find out that her brother had donated the pictures when they were settling her father's estate. So now it has come full circle and the lady is in possession of the picture she remembers from her childhood.

Isn't life grand!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace