Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I ordered a tailored Aeroleather, and I am not happy with the fitting.

Psant25

One Too Many
It took a while, but i have found good compromise going with standard hwyman and tapering down a size at the waist. A size 38 tapered to 36 body/hem. I was not a fan of the premier cut i tried two of them new and i felt the regular highwayman had just too much body material. Tapered i think hem is still about 20/21 inches and pit is 23.5. I am 5 11 and back of 25 is max for me for my highwaymans. My chips with a 24 inch back also works quite well.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Adding a bit of perspective here:

I am 6‘ (183cm), and I would say, I don’t have an overlong torso. This is my Premier HWM with a back length of 26,75“ (!!).
Had I specced it myself, I would have gone to ca. 26-26,5“ but certainly not shorter.
I never wear high-rise pants.

I always felt, the jacket works well for me, although I bought it from Aero‘s Stock page (it was originally made for @ton312, but Aero got the measurements wrong). I started off with the ‚beetle-back‘, Tony described, but it settled with break-in.

All this doesn’t explain the weird bunching in OPs photos, but IMO there is no „one true and only length“ for the various body shapes of hours.

My best advice would be to still talk to Aero about the jacket. That ‚wrought‘ look is something I have never seen before, and somehow I find it hard to believe that it’s solely caused by the jacket bunching up at the waist.

IMG_4367.jpeg

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Adding a bit of perspective here:

I am 6‘ (183cm), and I would say, I don’t have an overlong torso. This is my Premier HWM with a back length of 26,75“ (!!).
Had I specced it myself, I would have gone to ca. 26-26,5“ but certainly not shorter.
I never wear high-rise pants.

I always felt, the jacket works well for me, although I bought it from Aero‘s Stock page (it was originally made for @ton312, but Aero got the measurements wrong). I started off with the ‚beetle-back‘, Tony described, but it settled with break-in.

All this doesn’t explain the weird bunching in OPs photos, but IMO there is no „one true and only length“ for the various body shapes of hours.

My best advice would be to still talk to Aero about the jacket. That ‚wrought‘ look is something I have never seen before, and somehow I find it hard to believe that it’s solely caused by the jacket bunching up at the waist.

View attachment 574585

You make a good point, and I should make something clear in case it was ambiguous.

When I'm talking about the length seemingly being too long, it's specifically in the context of the taper seeming to be too much for the length. OP, does the jacket feel overly tight around the hem? It's hard to tell from the photos, especially since this is more about how it feels.

This is an issue I've run into in this way (as well as the opposite direction, realizing my waist size is different depending on what the rise is on the jeans or trousers).

I’m thinking the bunching up has something to do with the length plus CXL add a dash of mangled sweatshirt. CXL doesn’t always play nice with Aero’s premier line and I’m sure that’s why they advise against it for some patterns.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
The PHwyman has higher armpit than the regular Hwyman, almost one inch higher up given the same shoulder width.

PHwyman 19” shoulder / 23” P2P / 16.5” from center neck to armpit
IMG_1420.jpeg

The regular highwayman 19” shoulder/ 24” p2p/ 17.5” from center neck to armpit
IMG_1419.jpeg

The extra layer of hoodie and the high armpit of the PHwyman is giving the OP that unwanted horizontal crease right across the upper back (where armpits are). That’s why I suggested the regular highwayman, with a bit more room there the OP can wear the hoodie or t shirt, both will work.

I am close to OP’s height, and I added one inch to my Highwayman’s length, It hits the back pockets on mid high rise and shows a gap on mid low rise. I had two stock Hwyman that were shorter and felt short so I went longer on the third one.
https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/what-jacket-are-you-wearing-today.82949/post-3049111

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
You make a good point, and I should make something clear in case it was ambiguous.

When I'm talking about the length seemingly being too long, it's specifically in the context of the taper seeming to be too much for the length. OP, does the jacket feel overly tight around the hem? It's hard to tell from the photos, especially since this is more about how it feels.

This is an issue I've run into in this way (as well as the opposite direction, realizing my waist size is different depending on what the rise is on the jeans or trousers).

Yes, length plus taper may well be the answer.

MrProper

Yes, length plus taper may well be the answer.
When I'm talking about the length seemingly being too long, it's specifically in the context of the taper seeming to be too much for the length.
I also think that the longer the jacket, the less it should be tapered.
My PHWM are heavily tapered, but because they are short, it works. If you like the boxy style (or longer jackets), you should rather not taper.

Short:
IMG_4791.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4798.jpeg
    IMG_4798.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 54
  • IMG_4766.jpeg
    IMG_4766.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 50

lionel_hutz

New in Town
unfortunately, the premier Highwayman isn’t the best option for you. I would talk to Aero to see if it can be exchanged for a regular highwayman.

The premier highwayman isn’t really for layering, unless you go up a few sizes, then there are other issues at that point. Try the regular highwayman, you won’t get the horizontal back crease with that one.
First, I got the Highway 59, which was too relaxed for my taste, so I decided to go with the Premium. I think aesthetically, I prefer the look of the Premium.
I am contacting them to get a new one shorter, my main question would be if I should reduce the width as well. I will post a few pics in the next few days.

MrProper

First, I got the Highway 59, which was too relaxed for my taste, so I decided to go with the Premium. I think aesthetically, I prefer the look of the Premium.
I am contacting them to get a new one shorter, my main question would be if I should reduce the width as well. I will post a few pics in the next few days.
That depends on how tight you want the jacket. If you want it to be like me, then a little tighter will be fine.
However, I think it's hard to see in the photos. Take some where you're standing normally, with your arms hanging down and you can also be seen from the front.

sarevook

New in Town
But in this case the bottom hem is way above the back pockets, even above the yoke in some pictures. So from that perspective it does NOT seem too long. But maybe your jeans are really low rise or really sagging/hanging? Trying to understand myself what is happening here.
It's because there are 3 inches of leather bunched on the back.

Aero does the bloated back to add range of motion on the more trim patterns of the Premier styles. They do it on the CR and some other motorcycle jackets as well. They do this because they use their 1960's patterns as their pattern base, which, being of a very traditional nature, doesn't account for the armholes opening angle. Try superimposing front & back photos of the HWM from Aero's website, you'll clearly see that the armhole openings are dead set at the side of the body of the jacket which, well, isn't anatomically sound. Extra material on the back of the jacket is supposed to counter this and thus isn't easily remedied, neither by shortening the jacket nor by sizing down.

Beetle-back looks good on Ton and MrProper because they're ripped. It doesn't look good on us because we have nothing but layers of sweaters and hope she'll fall for it to fill the jacket with.

But nevertheless, I personally don't mind the beetle-back. A lot of leather jackets have it and I personally like the look, especially once broken in.

There's not much to be done here. You either like the jacket or you don't.

You folks keep mentioning the "beetle-back" - what exactly are you referring to?

(Some) Aero jackets will have an upper or an entire back bloated or bulged, like beetle elytra. Google "Aero jacket back fedora lounge" and you'll see plenty of examples. :)

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I think we need more photos to give full advice. Obviously, we can tell the jacket is too long, but it would be nice to have front facing photos as well as ones with a regular shirt for context and to see if there are other issues with the fit to advise the OP on.

GUYSWEETLAND

New in Town
First of all, The back length is suitable just above the hip line.
I requested my cafe racer jacket to my waistline.
As you can see, there is no problem like yours.

KakaoTalk_20231229_232221885.jpg

And I think the reason why the wrinkles get horizon in the back.
probably there's no room under the armpit.
Here's a bad example.

Naver Image Popup.png

Last edited:

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
The premium does have the nicer cuff details and curved yoke.

I cannot layer underneath my Premium because the cutting is like a shirt. So it's a shacket and not quite a jacket.

I think it's best if you talk to Aero when they get back and see what they recommend. They know their jackets best. FWIW, I did inquire about getting a shearling lined PHwyman and they talked me out of it. And now I've got a Highwayman/Sheene hybrid in the works.

Here is my Premium Highwayman, when I first got it I was baffled by the size and the creases it made all around. And I experimented with many different things. Now I just come to accept that it is a shacket that fits small but measures big. My jacket is also in the Pinnacle leather so it's deerskin soft, completely opposite of CXL. In CXL I won't be able to wear it in the same size I would want to go up at least one. And this is why I would almost want to suggest you to get the next size up. But talk to Aero. They'd know best.

Aero PHwyman 42.JPG

Aero Phywman 42 open.JPG

My many experiments with clips...
IMG_8848.JPG
IMG_8872.JPG
IMG_8908.JPG
IMG_8927.JPG
IMG_9144.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member