Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A word to men who wear high boots

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
If it looks good on the street, why not wear it? Many features of menswear (more so than for women?), come from some practical use that is now defunct. High boots were the norm for dozens of generations of men because they were hopping on and off horses all day. With very few exceptions, no one does that anymore. So we are to abandon the style as it might give those few remaining lucky riders an insider smirk? It still looks good and makes for a pretty dashing presentation for the guy with enough stones to do it. How many men actually need to wear those big clunky work boots? They wear them because they look good and are a link with the masculine ideal they have in mind for themselves.
There's no practical reason for button fly trousers, braces, laced shoes (we have velcro now). I don't understand why these kinds of judgments get made.
A fellow in cowboy boots looks disapprovingly at the guy in field boots. The guy in the Maine Hunting Shoes shakes his head at the dude in cowboy boots. The man in the homburg is disdainful of the guy in the ball cap. Kids in too-large jeans with their butt crack displayed think a guy in a business suit must be gay. Yesterday was Darwin's birthday. Isn't it a frightful let-down to see that he was wrong and we are not, in fact, evolving? :)

I'm going to wear what boosts my own fragile opinion of myself, and the casual observer's opinion matters little.

draws

Practically Family
scotrace said:
If it looks good on the street, why not wear it? Many features of menswear (more so than for women?), come from some practical use that is now defunct. High boots were the norm for dozens of generations of men because they were hopping on and off horses all day. With very few exceptions, no one does that anymore. So we are to abandon the style as it might give those few remaining lucky riders an insider smirk? It still looks good and makes for a pretty dashing presentation for the guy with enough stones to do it. How many men actually need to wear those big clunky work boots? They wear them because they look good and are a link with the masculine ideal they have in mind for themselves.
There's no practical reason for button fly trousers, braces, laced shoes (we have velcro now). I don't understand why these kinds of judgments get made.
A fellow in cowboy boots looks disapprovingly at the guy in field boots. The guy in the Maine Hunting Shoes shakes his head at the dude in cowboy boots. The man in the homburg is disdainful of the guy in the ball cap. Kids in too-large jeans with their butt crack displayed think a guy in a business suit must be gay. Yesterday was Darwin's birthday. Isn't it a frightful let-down to see that he was wrong and we are not, in fact, evolving? :)

I'm going to wear what boosts my own fragile opinion of myself, and the casual observer's opinion matters little.

Very nicely put, Scotrace! Being in public in uniform 2-3 times per week, I do notice the looks but then the looks are often followed by questions about the uniform and, more importantly, a hearty acceptance. It has much to do with one's willingness to not be self-conscious but to be at ease with it.

We have 20-30 people in our group that feel the same way and who are very comfortable, regardless of who thinks what. Agreed, there was a time when high boots were worn in relationship with mounted activities and other activites such as hiking and hunting. That is the case today but to a limited extent. I wouldn't be at all surprised if wearing tall boots once again becomes the norm rather than the exception for men. After all, it's all in the head, isn't it.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Sorry if I missed this, but did anyone mention that other type of horse whose rider might well wear high boots? I mean the Iron Horse aka Motorbike, Motorcycle,etc? If you see a man walking down some street in high boots he just may have parked his steed out of your view. I'm from San Francisco and see that type all the time.

Speaking of "all in the head", I did once meet some of those (non motorbiker) fellows who wore those very tall laced boots, but I wasn't able to ask them why or offer a fashion critique as they were too busy kicking me in my head to respond. It was eight stitches if I remember correctly (back in the 1980s thankfully. Not recently).

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
just_me said:
From my point of view, I really don't care whether men or women wear high boots (it was the original article's writer that had the problem).

From a rider's point of view, I find it funny (and maybe a little pretentious) when nonriders (men or women, though usually women more than men) wear tall riding boots as a fashion accessory. Ralph Lauren often uses riding attire as street fashion.

I wear tall boots in the winter because the snow can't get in them. They keep my legs warm, too.

draws

Practically Family
Sefton said:
Sorry if I missed this, but did anyone mention that other type of horse whose rider might well wear high boots? I mean the Iron Horse aka Motorbike, Motorcycle,etc? If you see a man walking down some street in high boots he just may have parked his steed out of your view. I'm from San Francisco and see that type all the time.

Speaking of "all in the head", I did once meet some of those (non motorbiker) fellows who wore those very tall laced boots, but I wasn't able to ask them why or offer a fashion critique as they were too busy kicking me in my head to respond. It was eight stitches if I remember correctly (back in the 1980s thankfully. Not recently).

I had just mentioned a few situations where high boots are worn as well as others. A bit of common sense applies when asking questions, I suppose. I would first evaluate who I'm asking the question about their fashions. Instinct has a lot to do in deciding to ask someone why. I wouldn't ask if the person looked like they would not respond in a civil way.

I just thought of another related fashion code that seems to have gained acceptance. In the thirties and forties, leather boot tops and leggings (gaiters) were the norm and seem to apply to this discussion as well. Their use dropped out of sight until the late 90s but have have become very popular once again.

Perhaps this is off topic but I have noticed in rural areas a vast increase in the use of leggings especially in snake hunting (west and southwest), hiking and cross country skiing. In fact, mountain hikers in NH are rarley seen not wearing lace up or wrap leggings. Any thoughts?

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
scotrace said:
If it looks good on the street, why not wear it? [...] I don't understand why these kinds of judgments get made.
We are evolving. Not long ago "boot fag" meant the underclassman who polished the things and put in the trees.

lol

just_me

Practically Family
Paisley said:
I wear tall boots in the winter because the snow can't get in them. They keep my legs warm, too.
Actual riding boots or just tall boots? Having worn tall leather riding boots in cold, snowy weather to ride I can say they're not made to keep the tootsies warm. :)

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
They're tall, very plain, leather, medium-soled, low-heeled boots that happen to look like riding boots. In ankle-deep snow, I can wear them or wear my chukka boots and pack another pair of shoes for the office. The tall boots are the more sensible choice.

I feel about cowboy boots as you feel about riding boots. However, I think mine are plain enough to not look like I'm an equestrian wanna-be.

But remember: imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
I've never had the need to wear knee-high boots but my grandfather did. He would cut timber to sell to mining companies, so he wore high boots in the snake infested mountains of Kentucky. Pictures I've seen of him in his work gear look pretty cool! But its not a look I could pull off in town.

just_me

Practically Family
Paisley said:
They're tall, very plain, leather, medium-soled, low-heeled boots that happen to look like riding boots. In ankle-deep snow, I can wear them or wear my chukka boots and pack another pair of shoes for the office. The tall boots are the more sensible choice.

I feel about cowboy boots as you feel about riding boots. However, I think mine are plain enough to not look like I'm an equestrian wanna-be.

But remember: imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
lol lol You're fine. Now, when you start walking around the neighborhood in a hunt cap... lol

celtic

A-List Customer
how dare anyone tell me i shouldn't wear my baseball cap when not playing baseball?

oh wait, wrong thread.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
just_me said:
No big deal to see a woman walking down the street in pants and high boots, but a man walking down the street in a dress and the same high boots might cause some turned heads. :)
When I lived in horse country (Upper Westchester, NY.) it was quite common to see women shopping at the A&P and such wearing full riding regalia; never once saw a man do the same.

DetroitFalcons

Familiar Face
Johnnysan said:
You mean like this?

22076047.JPG

Obviously not tall boots, but I wear my bean boots like the guy on the right a lot during the winter. I hate getting salt on my good boots, so they get used. I also have knee high wellies that I tuck my jeans into depending on how high the snow gets. Last month I actually had snow get over them, but that is as high as I'm going. lol

just_me

Practically Family
Tomasso said:
When I lived in horse country (Upper Westchester, NY.) it was quite common to see women shopping at the A&P and such wearing full riding regalia; never once saw a man do the same.
When I lived in NYC and rode in Central Park, I wore boots and breeches on the subway because I figured if I wore riding clothes, people would realize why I smelled like a horse. If I wore jeans and paddock boots (low boots under my jeans), they might wonder. lol

I go to the store in boots in breeches if I've been to the barn or I am heading there, but I wouldn't put riding clothes on just as a fashion statement. Around Wellington, FL this time of year, you'll see many men and women in stores wearing riding clothes.

DetroitFalcons

Familiar Face
just_me said:

From a rider's point of view, I find it funny (and maybe a little pretentious) when nonriders (men or women, though usually women more than men) wear tall riding boots as a fashion accessory. Ralph Lauren often uses riding attire as street fashion.

I wonder if diver's think the same of all the "poser's" wearing Rolex Subs or old pilot vets looking at all the A2s out there?

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
DetroitFalcons said:
Obviously not tall boots, but I wear my bean boots like the guy on the right a lot during the winter. I hate getting salt on my good boots, so they get used. I also have knee high wellies that I tuck my jeans into depending on how high the snow gets. Last month I actually had snow get over them, but that is as high as I'm going. lol

Same. I have my pants tucked into my 10" bean boots all the time, for the snow, the road salt, the slush and the water from the snow melt. I don't like worrying about such things, and the height on them gets the job done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21