Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A young Bostonian travels to London

WW2WaltUSMC

New in Town
Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen! I am traveling across the pond in April to visit a young lady studying abroad in London. I want to buy a new suit for this trip, as I think my tailored 2 button black shadowstripe from Korea (photos to follow in the show us your suits thread shortly.) may not be quite what I want for being about in London. I was thinking of a light charcoal grey pinstripe or windowpane, three button, three piece suit. To be worn with white or blue shirts and cordovan leather belt and shoes, and a grey fedora. I have multiple ties and squares i think will do fine with this ensemble. Would this suit be acceptable by British standards? I will be bringing my black suit as well for the evening social scene. Bars, nightclubs, and the like. Please, any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!

Walt

Edward

Bartender
There's a very healthy vintage scene in London (with much crossover on the burlesque and cabaret side of things also). Outside of that, and 'city boy' type haunts (best avoided), you'll stand out in any suit most of the time.

Cobden

Practically Family
The good thing about London is that, for the most part, one can walk around in a morning coat, string vest, army boots, flat cap and a loin cloth and no-one will bat an eyelid. You'll stand out, but no-one will give a damn; and I'd say your more likely to get good comments then bad (if anyone mentions it)

WW2WaltUSMC

New in Town
Thank you so much for the responses! What sort of outerwear should I bring to London in April? I'm going to guess I should bring my trench coat in case of rainy days, will it be cold enough to necessitate my bringing an overcoat as well?

Edward

Bartender
The good thing about London is that, for the most part, one can walk around in a morning coat, string vest, army boots, flat cap and a loin cloth and no-one will bat an eyelid. You'll stand out, but no-one will give a damn; and I'd say your more likely to get good comments then bad (if anyone mentions it)

lol Very true - I've gone out in some pretty wild stuff (including full drag) on the tube and never had any real hassle in London. The only serious abuse I've had on the street was when I was fairly toned down in dress (as opposed to in a dress ;) ).

Thank you so much for the responses! What sort of outerwear should I bring to London in April? I'm going to guess I should bring my trench coat in case of rainy days, will it be cold enough to necessitate my bringing an overcoat as well?

Trench coat would be a good idea, yeah... If you were from Florida I'd suggest bringing something heavier also, but Up in Boston I think if anything you'd still be a degree or two chillier than London at that time of year? Usually by mid April I've shed the Winter coats for the season in favour of trench coats and leather jackets.

WW2WaltUSMC

New in Town
Exactly the two outergarments I was thinking of! I have my issued trench coat that sans insignia looks great, and my black leather jacket for more casual attire.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
When it gets cold in London, it can get really cold. Forget about the recent snowstorms, those are actually so rare in London now that this is the first time it's happened in like 20 years. But even without the snow, it can get really cold. If you're intending to stay there over winter, a trenchcoat is essential. I would also suggest gloves. Having been to London twice (and my mother nearly a half-dozen times), I reckon that you don't need to worry about what you're gonna wear - Nobody is going to pick on you or laugh at you...provided that what you wear looks NICE. As my brother (currently living there) once said - "everything (meaning clothes) over here is so cheap that you really don't have an excuse NOT to dress nicely".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot