Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A2 jacket for flying ace...true or not true?

zhz

Practically Family
I've been told a very interesting story about A2 today. But I am not sure if it is right or not. So can anyone confirm this story?

Here it is: I've been told that during WWII, in USAAF, the A2 issued to flying ace (scoring more than 5) is in red knits and red lining. Regardless of contract. Is this true or not? I can not find any reference of it...so anyone can help?

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ace pilots could have their existing A2s re-lined with red silk. However judging by surviving A2s worn by Ace pilots this rarely happened. I have not heard about changing the knits to red and suspect someone has confused an Ace wearing an Aero A2 with factory installed berry knits with replacing them on achieving Ace status!

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Wikipedia states " In certain ETO units and possibly elsewhere a prerogative of the fighter ace was a red satin lining which was added on confirmation of his fifth aerial kill." I had been told in the past that the WWII ace wore a red satin lining but have never heard any references regarding red knits. Perhaps our TFL historian Andrew can tell us more.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Appears Andrew and I both viewed this thread at the same time, and Andrew was able to respond a split second before I did. Thanks Andrew and always appreciate your expertise.

Last edited:

archbury918

One of the Regulars
I can't speak for the red lining in the A-2's...however, their Class A blouses were customized by lining in red silk.
This was a by unit custom and meant for in theatre only.

Deacon211

One Too Many
I had never heard this but it reminds me of something that was written in a G+B ad...back from at least when they were Flightsuits Ltd (or was it Unltd?).

This was in the ad for their M-422a. It states that the jacket had a red lining "just like the aces wore"...or words to that effect. I have never heard of this tradition in naval aviation.

I wonder if they saw that some 422s came with red linings and confused that with the Air Corps tradition.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy