Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A2 Patches and their Proper Location on a Jacket

ykurtz

One of the Regulars
I thought I'd tap into the knowledge of this forum re: A2's and patches. My wife's grandfather flew in WWII: 15th AAF / 82nd Fighter Group / 97th Fighter Squadron. Assuming there was a patch for each of the designations, where would I place them on the jacket? I assume the 97th Fighter Squadron would appear on the left breast; and the other two on the shoulders? I want to get a replica jacket made (like some folks have done on this forum) and I want it as historically accurate as possible. Thanks!

Found this online. Can anyone identify the A2 model? (i.e. Dubow, Rough Wear, etc.)

Last edited:

thor

Call Me a Cab
The squadron patch usually went on the left chest with name tag generally right above it. Some added a group patch on the right chest as well. Check the ELC site and when you click on any of the A-2 jackets there's a good insignia tab where you can add rank/name/squadron/group insignia to your jacket.

AdeeC

Practically Family
Look for a copy of Jon Maguires book American Flight Jackets, Airmen & Aircraft. It is full of authentic period painted and patched jackets. You will find no hard and fast rules in WWII to how jackets were patched, though particular squadrons and groups had their own styles. Mostly they were set up as Thor said. Many jackets had nothing attached to the sleeves and arms or no name tags. As for the pictured jacket, the photo is not clear enough for identification though the pockets look to have possibly beveled edges and slightly scalloped flaps. If so, could be a Bronco. You may be able get good advice if you join the Vintage Jacket Forum, where the A2 is much discussed.

Last edited:

AdeeC

Practically Family
I think it's a Dubow based on the collar but I'll forever be unsure!

I am leaning your way. The pointed collar, shape of tag, drape and pocket flaps hint more to a Dubow. The waist knits in that muddy purple brown also suggest a Dubow. What appears to be a beveled corner on the right pocket may be an illusion.

Last edited:

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Mr Swatland will know for sure.
I believe there is a designated place, a certain distance above the pocket and so far in from the windflap edge, but I have seen many jackets that only have patches, some only name tags, some larger than standard, others smaller.
The placing has something to do with heraldry of old. A pin up on the back could be described:-
An adult female form natural, head in Chief, demi clothed. Hair, colour blond flowing to dexter, facial attitude to sinister. Torso off affront to sinister, clothed, legs and arms naked sitting natural. Feet pointing to sinister base unshod.

Basically an image of a real(not a caricature such as Betty Boop) woman sitting upright, her hair flowing to the right but her face looking left. Her body at a 3/4 pose facing left wearing a one piece swimsuit as if sitting on an invisible stool, her feet bare.
Nothing to do with your jacket, just some Sunday morning amusement.

But the badge positions are heraldic.

So looking at the jacket from the front but as if worn it could be:- Jacket affront, squadron shield or device placed to sinister........Oh dear, I think I am out of my depth here, try this :)http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~dnp1954/heraldry.htm

Last edited:

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
I have seen a number of A2's and G1's with the squadron patch on the right breast, name tag on the left.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy