Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A2 Sleeve Length Question

Dav

One Too Many
Good morning Gents
I'm in the process of placing an order for an A2 and need a little advice on sleeve length, what I want to know is should I order the same length sleeve in an A2 as I have done for my Teamster and Cheyenne, ie 27", or should I go a little shorter so as not to get too much tunnelling? Basically, do the chaps that have civilian and A2 jackets from Aero order the same sleeve length in both?
Thanks for looking, any advice gratefully received.

schitzo

Suspended
Can somebody knowledgeable please answer Dav!?

I'm no A2 aficionado, but I have had a couple of jackets with wool cuffs - an A2 and the Happy Days. I'd never even heard of tunnelling at that stage and I'm still not completely sure what it means.. but in my case I found that with the wool cuffs a little bit of extra length suited me fine

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
Same here Dav, I'm no expert either, but I would assume that you should order your regular sleeve length. I would think you would want the end of the knit hitting your wrist/hand in the same spot your leather cuffs do

Dav

One Too Many
Thanks gents, I think I've worked it out, I was just a bit concerned that going with the same length as the leather cuffed jackets would be too long, better a bit long than a bit short though, so I'll go for the same length.

schitzo

Suspended
from memory Dav the knits count as 2.5", but when they're on they scrunch up so they're not really that long. Of course, I could be talking absolute filth! And if I am hopefully somebody is about to correct me. I will take a look for a pic of me in my A2..

schitzo

Suspended

That's me with 27.5" long sleeves. At the time, I'd factored in adding some extra length to account for the knits, though I later came to realise that if the shoulders are correct then 27.5 is my preferred sleeve length.

I noticed on another thread you said you might be sizing down. If you are, then be careful that if the shoulders are narrower than usual you tack on a littler bit more to the sleeves

Dav

One Too Many
Thanks Schitzo, you're right, I must check the shoulder measurements before finalising!

Nice looking jacket BTW!

Last edited:

nick123

I'll Lock Up
With the A-2s I've owned, for my arms I've found 27-27.5" sleeves to be fine. With 27.5" sleeves, there is only a faint amount of tunneling, though the knits extend past my wrist a bit. If I did it again, I'd specify 27" sleeves.

Good morning Gents I'm in the process of placing an order for an A2 and need a little advice on sleeve length, what I want to know is should I order the same length sleeve in an A2 as I have done for my Teamster and Cheyenne, ie 27", or should I go a little shorter so as not to get too much tunnelling? Basically, do the chaps that have civilian and A2 jackets from Aero order the same sleeve length in both?Thanks for looking, any advice gratefully received.
Well, lots of things to consider.Contract of A-2.Hide - HH, Goat? HH will tunnel more (in my experience) than goat.How do you like your sleeves? Some like them above the wrist bone. I do not.If the sleeve (leather) is too long, they will push down over the knits and look dopey (IMHO). That is worse almost than a little short as far as looks go. It's really personal. If you wear watches - especially large(r) watches, knits can be a PITA. I have to get a slim watch for wearing with A-2/G-1 style jackets as mine are just too large to work well.Good luck! Look at all the pics here. You should get an idea of how YOU want it to look...

eggleman

One of the Regulars
24thMay007_zpsb5ec8bdf.jpg

Sandals with an A-2 :eeek:

S(c)andalous !

Last edited:

Dav

One Too Many
Thanks for the tips Gents. I think I'm in the ball park with my figures, now just to wait for Aero to get back to me with some measurements on the size 40 and I should be good to go.

D

Deleted member 16736

Tunneling would be the least of my worries. I'd be far more concerned with fit. My experience with the A-2 jacket is that it's a tight fitting jacket and you'll need every inch of sleeve to make it work. If anything, I'd add length to the sleeve, not subtract from it, especially because of a cosmetic issue. When the jacket doesn't fit, you won't care about tunneling.

schitzo

Suspended
Thanks for the tips Gents. I think I'm in the ball park with my figures, now just to wait for Aero to get back to me with some measurements on the size 40 and I should be good to go.

size 40 you say. Mine in the pic was a 40. Pit to pit was 22.5" I asked for an extra .5 on the shoulders and quite a bit of extra length. Believe it or not that's 28.5" long and i felt it could even have been a bit longer

Brettafett

One Too Many
Tunneling would be the least of my worries. I'd be far more concerned with fit. My experience with the A-2 jacket is that it's a tight fitting jacket and you'll need every inch of sleeve to make it work. If anything, I'd add length to the sleeve, not subtract from it, especially because of a cosmetic issue. When the jacket doesn't fit, you won't care about tunneling.

+1
Also, remember that as one wears the jacket in, the leather may crease (shoulders and elbows) and I have found this can reduce the length a bit. When new the sleeves may be perfect length, but after a few months you will wish you had ordered them 0.5" to 1" longer...
ps very nice looking jacket Eggleman!

eggleman

One of the Regulars
+1
Also, remember that as one wears the jacket in, the leather may crease (shoulders and elbows) and I have found this can reduce the length a bit. When new the sleeves may be perfect length, but after a few months you will wish you had ordered them 0.5" to 1" longer...
ps very nice looking jacket Eggleman!

It's schitzo's jacket / photo , I'm just responsible for the bad joke ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21