Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A2s in the Jet Age

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
That's to say nothing of my Irvin which I got late last spring and have only worn in the air conditioning. :)

You need an open top sports car and you need to drive it very, very quickly - that'll make for good Irvin wearing conditions, well until you have to stop for red lights!

Or even better, splash out on an open cockpit biplane then you can wear your Irvin all year round ;)

Joking aside, are you still flying, commercial now you're out of the service?

Deacon211

One Too Many
I've been thinking very, very,.....very hard about a biplane.

Other than flying low and slow these days I'm out of commercial aviation at the moment. I got out of the mil and flew for a few airlines for a decade or so, but the job, the pay, and the lifestyle just aren't what they used to be and I went back to the government for better pay and better hours. My wife and dogs thank me!

Miss the sunrises at altitude though. You just can't find an office with a better view.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I've been thinking very, very,.....very hard about a biplane.

Other than flying low and slow these days I'm out of commercial aviation at the moment. I got out of the mil and flew for a few airlines for a decade or so, but the job, the pay, and the lifestyle just aren't what they used to be and I went back to the government for better pay and better hours. My wife and dogs thank me!

Miss the sunrises at altitude though. You just can't find an office with a better view.

Bit like my Dad when he left the RNZAF, he couldn't bring himself to go into commercial flying, "glorified bus driver" was what he called it :D

And you are so right, sunrise from an aircraft is like no other sunrise.

Deacon211

One Too Many
Only flew the TA-4J but....LOVED THAT PLANE! Felt like you were wearing it more than sitting in it.

Don't know too much about the Vampire, but a great era of aviation to fly in.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Only flew the TA-4J but....LOVED THAT PLANE! Felt like you were wearing it more than sitting in it.

Don't know too much about the Vampire, but a great era of aviation to fly in.

Being a Kiwi I grew up with the A-4s flying around. The Kahu upgrade that they did in the late 80s to F-16 avionics and weapons systems made it a great aircraft. They even gave the RAAF F-18s and Singaporean F-16s a hard time in exercises so long as they could evade the initial Sparrow launches. The RNZAF at that time did more ACM training than virtually any other air force. Shame the Labour government of Helen Clark scrapped the F-16 replacement deal as it would've been great to see Kiwi pilots with more modern equipment but alas it was not to be.

Deacon211

One Too Many
That is a damn shame.

I tell you, the A-4 was not to be trifled with. Especially the later models would give anybody a run for their money.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
That is a damn shame.

I tell you, the A-4 was not to be trifled with. Especially the later models would give anybody a run for their money.

Post some pics if you have them Deacon and some of your recollections too if you'd like to. It's always great to see what people flew and the stories they have.

Edward

Bartender
I guess, because of their perceived value and the desire that the jackets be kept relatively exclusive to naval aviators and aircrew, the jackets are never DRMOed and sold to the public.

Isn't that a shame though the jackets aren't what they used to be.

Interesting stuff. What a dreadful waste, though, to just bin them! Explains why I've never seen them hanging in racks in a surplus store like perfect-condition MA1s back in the day...

Deacon211

One Too Many
Well, I've discovered that I don't actually have too many images saved on my computer, but here's a couple.

I'm going to apologize in advance that most of the few pics I have on the computer are of me. I had scanned a few for my retirement post elsewhere and so they are at hand. I'm not actually that vain...well, mostly. ;)

This was shortly before my first A-4 ride in NAS Willow Grove. I was stashed there for a few months while waiting for flight school to start

One of my favorites. The Dilbert Dunker taken by one of the safety divers

A cheap disposable camera shot of our flight down from MCAS Iwakuni to Kadena AB

A shot taken by a student who was along for the ride on a Tac Form hop in NAF El Centro

One of my last good deals; in Peru to support the 4th Marine Division in the Kingair. We brought along our Citation as well.

Looking back, it was a heck of a lot of fun for the most part.

Deacon

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Well, I've discovered that I don't actually have too many images saved on my computer, but here's a couple.

I'm going to apologize in advance that most of the few pics I have on the computer are of me. I had scanned a few for my retirement post elsewhere and so they are at hand. I'm not actually that vain...well, mostly. ;)

This was shortly before my first A-4 ride in NAS Willow Grove. I was stashed there for a few months while waiting for flight school to start

One of my favorites. The Dilbert Dunker taken by one of the safety divers

A cheap disposable camera shot of our flight down from MCAS Iwakuni to Kadena AB

A shot taken by a student who was along for the ride on a Tac Form hop in NAF El Centro

One of my last good deals; in Peru to support the 4th Marine Division in the Kingair. We brought along our Citation as well.

Looking back, it was a heck of a lot of fun for the most part.

Deacon

Great pics Deacon. You look the business in front of that two seat Scooter with your bone dome on ;)

Thanks for postings those mate.

Deacon211

One Too Many
Fantastic pics, Deacon. Thanks for posting them.

Thanks Sloan. Very kind of you to say so!

Great pics Deacon. You look the business in front of that two seat Scooter with your bone dome on ;)

Thanks for postings those mate.

That's because in that picture I had both the wisdom of youth and the energy of old age! I had never flown anything bigger than a Cessna at that point. :D

nick123

I'll Lock Up
On tv or in a book, you'd assume an A-4 would be a small aircraft, but if you approach one, it still towers over you on the ground! And vice versa, if you look at a B-25, it looks tiny compared to modern commercial jets!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy