Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Absinthe - Finally tried it

CopperNY

A-List Customer
while my local home distiller replenishes her stock, i'm making do with Mansinthe (just ok, but best locally available) for get togethers and Arak Razzouk (not an absinthe, anise and grape spirites, but my personal favorite when home made is not available) at home.

i can give or take the sugar.

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
Given your location, you should be able to do better than Mansinthe.
Shouldn't you have Delaware Phoenix on the shelves in NY?

Good Arak can be remarkably similar to some Le Bleues.
I wonder how often before 2005, some of the clandestine Swiss stuff was cut with Arak.

I haven't used sugar in many years, I think I've given away more French made St. Louis Sucre
sugar cubes than I could count. (I bought a case a looong time ago)

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
Absinthe was never illegal in the USA, from 1912, to early 2007, it was banned from sale by an FDA ruling based on junk science.
Modern analysis of absinthe (both vintage and modern) has shown nothing harmful in it's make up.

Other than the dreadful tasting swill made in the Czech Republic, absinthe is just a pleasant drink with a complicated history.

Take a look here for more info: http://www.oxygenee.com/absinthe/
http://www.oxygenee.com/absinthe-faq.html

Blackjack

One Too Many
Wasn't it the wormwood in the Absinthe that was questionable ingredient? But i've also heard without the wormwood (which I believe is a hallucinogenic, no?) it's not "really" Absinthe...

Farren Randolph

New in Town
I'm having a glass of absinthe at this moment... I sincerely enjoy it, but it's something I enjoy alone. Not many people I know can get past the licorice flavor to really appreciate it.

I like mine with bit more sugar than needed and really, really cold water.

Edward

Bartender
We had the Pernod. And yes, we certainly tried to drink it "properly".. But maybe we need to experiment more. :)

Is Pernod considered Absinthe? I thought it was just an aniseed flavoured spirit, never drew any connection between the two...

I love aniseed, though most absinthes I have tried are a bit too bitter for my sweet tooth. Never tried the modern sugar and flame malarky, though.

Wasn't it the wormwood in the Absinthe that was questionable ingredient? But i've also heard without the wormwood (which I believe is a hallucinogenic, no?) it's not "really" Absinthe...

So it's often said, though I gather it's an urban legend, and...

The main psychoactive component in absinthe is ethyl alcohol.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I love aniseed, though most absinthes I have tried are a bit too bitter for my sweet tooth. Never tried the modern sugar and flame malarky, though. .

From my understanding the traditional way of drinking does include sugar, but no fire. (I witnessed that method being applied to a frightening green alcohol of dubious nature when I had a gig in Prague).

Instead, water is slowly dripped into it through sugar and a special slotted spoon.
[video=youtube;8tWyDxiOz70]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tWyDxiOz70&feature=related[/video]

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
Is Pernod considered Absinthe? I thought it was just an aniseed flavoured spirit, never drew any connection between the two...

I love aniseed, though most absinthes I have tried are a bit too bitter for my sweet tooth. Never tried the modern sugar and flame malarky, though.

So it's often said, though I gather it's an urban legend, and...

Pernod Fils, was once the The standard for absinthe in the preban era, sadly their modern absinthe is just an assemblage of steam extracted essences, their pastis is just as bad.

Sugar was always optional.
Well made absinthe isn't really bitter, and the use of sugar came in during the latter part of the pre-ban era, mostly as a way to entice the ladies to indulge in absinthe.

I haven't used sugar with absinthe in several years, burning sugar cubes is also a fast way to ruin a good glass of absinthe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
islamicjankari