Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Acceptable leather jackets for professional settings?

Edward

Bartender
I have a leather blazer in my wardrobe that my mother saved up for in 1973, as a present for my Dad. I don't think he ever wore it. I wore it out quite a bit in the mid nineties - the Nirvana years - typically with denim, plaid, and Ramones shirts. Haveen't for years. I keep it out of sentimental value, but it's unlikely to be worn again. Unless I need a jacket the lapels of which I can also hangglide with.... ;) I did once try it on with black tie (in place of a DJ), but fortunately decided not to leave the house like that. The thing about the leather blazer in place of a wool one is that it is neither one thing nor the other. It's a good shorthand for period fashion (70s set stuff) or a down-at-heel / out-of-fashion detective (more-recently-set-stuff), but worn like that it just looks neither one thing nor the other - and consequently, in my eye, less 'tidy' for work than a leather jacket which isn't trying to be anything other than what it is. I've worn a lot of leathers to work over the years in academia. They're a great alternative in that period of the Autum or Spring when a blazer isn't warm enough, but a blazer and a coat together are too much. Mine are short jackets - halfbelts, a Highwayman, A2s, a Bootlegger. When wearing them like this for work, I'd bear in mind a few things:

- how distressed is it? Always best for the office to stick with a tidier jacket. This is where goat excells in particular; I'd avoid any hide which will quickly show patina or which looks beaten up.

- Colour? Seal, Russet, black ,burgundy all work, but imo to look 'professional' (even while casual), you need to match a bit more (belt, shoes, w.h.y.) than you can get away with doing if going out in jeans.

- Decoration - shouldn't need saying, but while an A2 or an M442a (goat would me my preference, seal or russet) can look great with this sort of 'sporty-smart' look, patches and artwork are not going to look the best with it all - especially if folks where you work are gonig to think Top Gun or 'armchair military nut' rather than see it for a historical nod to your favourite bomber crew or w.h.y.

IMO, how you carry it is also a thing. If you don't wear it like it's a big deal, you won't look like a poseur.

eugenesque

One of the Regulars
It depends very much on the office environment you are in. I suppose if you work in, e.g. a law firm or a bank, or if you are meeting someone important where first impression counts, it would be in one's best interest to discount the leather jacket and suit up with the standard business attire.

Other than that, I think its fine to wear a leather jacket to work. I am of the opinion that a motor or aviator jacket over dress pants and shirts is quite pleasing to the eye. Did post some pics of me going to work in such attire before in this forum.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/what-jacket-are-you-wearing-today.82949/page-21

at #403

Not really a fan of leather blazers. Reminds me of the mafia.

Come on - House wore one in the hospital! Step up and tell THEM what YOU are going to wear ;)

Attachments

• HouseJacket1-03.jpg
    HouseJacket1-03.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 1,020

Peacoat

Bartender
For me, leather in a professional setting is out. Makes no difference as to the cut of the jacket or the newness of the hide; it just isn't done. Now that's not to say that I haven't worn leather jackets or peacoats to the office on a regular basis, because that is usually what I wear. I have a sports jacket and a sweater at the office for those occasions that they are needed.

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
After further review, I have reconsidered my initial opinion . . . a leather blazer/sport coat is entirely appropriate for a professional/business environment. Case in point:

1589024_lookbook4.jpg

Or:

888686_002.jpg

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I have to confess, I owned a black two button blazer-type jacket at the end of uni - pre-Sopranos, but it never fitted me and,reallym it looked just wrong on me, so I swapped my brother it for his old knackered biker jacket. I also bought a russet one button jacket that had undergone a 'vintage' process, and looked, I suppose, kind of 'rock'. Ish. Then one year, while covering the T-in-the-Park music festival, I was hit in the back with the remnants of a pint of lager and discovered that not every leather jacket was designed to develop patina. Utterly ruined...

I honestly think that if your style is yours, your confident in it and it becomes you, then wear whatever you want. If a bunch of buttoned up stiffs find it offensive or out of place that's their problem. I've always felt it's what you do, and how well you do it, that matters most. If you're damn good at what you do, even the ugliest piece of clothing won't mean jack squat.

Last edited:

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
It entirely depends on the country you live in and henceforth the business environment you work in.

Here we have no set guidelines for so called "business attire" as weather really dictates how you dress and subsequently almost everyone wear casual clothing.

Back in Oz in my previous positions there was no way I could have worn a leather jacket to serious business meetings.

Guess I'm luckier here ;-)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav