Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Admiral's A-1 Jacket

• Thread starter Deleted member 16736
  • Start date

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
A Japanese friend of mine checked that one out for me a month ago. Your images have essentially answered your question as you have the price/info tag (and the jacket remained in the shop following my enquiry ;-) ).

I got very excited about stock number MT-96 (unpriced), even contemplated what I might sell to buy it...
I asked my Japanese friend to call on my behalf and, perhaps predictably the assistant explained to him that the price (1,575,000 Yen) is 'a price for an American maniac' . Furthermore, the shop wouldn't ship overseas.

Aside from that tactful and respectful piece of customer service, the ready reckoner brings that to be £12,377 (or the price of a small car)...

The jacket is a grand looking civvy capeskin A-1 - beautiful.

Who knows? It's been there a while - perhaps £12,000 for cash...?

Air Associates were well known in the '20s and '30s through supplying jackets to famous aviation pioneers (including Lindy), but I don't have more specific info to hand. It is a high quality jacket for the time and a rare survivor.

Technically (pedantically) it's not a Type A-1 (i.e. it's not a mil. spec. jacket unlike the 37J1 with provenance in the OP, which must be more valuable). What does that do to the price? I don't know really - it depends on the collector (as the jacket is too rare/fragile to be a wearable item).

As a guide though - the ratty/holed/flaking heavily modified (zipper added/re-lined/knits replaced) Mirabelli Brothers Type A-1 that I mentioned earlier made around $1000 on EBay...

Last edited:

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
...and that price was realized even tho it's halfway to being Washington's hatchet - nothing original but the shell, label, and maybe the buttons. And no way of knowing what the original liner or cuffing might have looked like.

D

Deleted member 16736

Auction was yesterday. Did anybody bid? Do we know the final sales price?

It's an interesting utility jacket. At least the pockets are bigger than the bloody useless tiny things on the A2.

I've owned 6 original 1930s-50s British civilian A1 style jackets - 3 cape, 2 cow, and one suede. i still have one cape and one suede … both too big, but nice jackets just to have around. Remarkably all of my cape ones have been in astoundingly fine condition. I find that with British leather of the era - it's either absolutely unworn mint, or completely trashed.

I know...bonkers... :-S

Doncha just love the A-1 though?!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy