Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

advice wanted on Samuelson suit

SGTROCK

One of the Regulars
Thinking of buying this as a summer suit for church and whatever else. All the measurements seem right except the length of the jacket would need to be shortened as my other suits are 32" in length in the back. Can this jacket be shortened without making it look goofy. I am 6'1 215 with Muscular build , wide shoulders and a bit of a beer belly, 36" waist. Long arms 27" . classic knuckle dragger. This suit is one of the few I have seen that has not had the sleeves and inseam cut too short and I don't have any double breasted suits. Opinions welcome
http://www.ebay.com/itm/191396738733?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Mathematicus

A-List Customer
It's only my opinion, but a Super130s wool would wear out in a couple of days you wear it; not to mention the wrinkles when you just sit down, which also would probably be difficult to get rid of because of heat and sweating.
I don't have experience with this brand in particular, but be advised that this kind of fabric won't never hang and drape properly even if the cut is perfect in every detail (especially shoulders and upper chest): it's simply too thin.

Claudio

Vendor
depsneds on the amount of silk in the blend but yesm, could be easily creased. I wouldnt worry about the 130s as that is still tollerable finess and not overly fine. 130s actually is perfect balance in my opinion and is not overly fine thread count- Its mainly the silk blend which will make it easily creased.

That said how much do you need it shortened? I would nt honestly bother to buy it as its pretty much a standard looking suit so best you go to a shop and purchase one that you can try on (for that money). If you are going to buy it for 400$ might as well add another 100$ and find youself a decent suit you can try on first

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Thinking of buying this as a summer suit for church and whatever else. All the measurements seem right except the length of the jacket would need to be shortened as my other suits are 32" in length in the back. Can this jacket be shortened without making it look goofy. I am 6'1 215 with Muscular build , wide shoulders and a bit of a beer belly, 36" waist. Long arms 27" . classic knuckle dragger. This suit is one of the few I have seen that has not had the sleeves and inseam cut too short and I don't have any double breasted suits. Opinions welcome
http://www.ebay.com/itm/191396738733?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Firstly, Samuelson is a top notch brand from Canada that provides excellent value for the price. The quality of their construction and finishing is on par with much more expensive makers like Hickey Freeman or Canali. Also, Samuelson makes all of Paul Stewart's suits and sport coats.

Because the jacket has square cut tails, it could be shortened quite easily. However, the results would be pretty bad. By shortening the jacket length 2 1/2" you would end up with an extremely low button stance.

Mathematicus

A-List Customer
Basically the same advice as before: be aware that extremely thin fabric wouldn't drape well and wear out soon. The suit in the listing seems pretty classic-shaped and I know Canali is a very quality brand; if you like the colour (I think it's interesting and not boring) and the style, surely you're not buying crap.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Not all "super" fabrics are flimsy or wear out quickly. I have a couple pairs of Brioni slacks made from extremely high quality light-weight wool gabardine, which I wear in hot weather. They've lasted several years and don't crease particularity easily. Canali doesn't use fabrics on par with Oxxford, Zengana, Brioni or Belvest, but their fabrics are generally better than what you get with run-of-the-mill makers, or even most Brooks Brother items. That's a lot for suit the price.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Ha! No problem. Hickey Freeman makes excellent suits. As an added bonus, they are still made in the U.S., which is pretty rare these days (off the top of my head, Oxxford, H. Freeman, Hickey Freeman (note the same company, BTW), Hart Schaffner Marx, Southwick . . . some Brooks Brothers, maybe J Press are still made in America).

That said, between the solid tan Canali and the pinstripe Hickey Freeman, I'd probably for the Canali because a solid, beige/tan, single breasted suit is really the quintessential summer suit. Here are some Apparel Arts illustrations for inspiration:

L._Fellows_1935_campus.jpg

Tan%20Gabardine%20De%20oost.jpg

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner