Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero 30's Slim-Fit Half Belt

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
I'm in the process of ordering one of these through Aero USA (as they take Paypal) and am wondering: are the sleeves slimmer as well? I have an e-mail out to Amanda, but thought someone here might be able to help. I'm going with the seal brown goatskin. The pics of JanSolo's sold me. Hell, if he didn't request longer sleeves, I would've bought the one he was selling.

schmitty8

New in Town
awesome looking jacket Grayland. I just tried to order that and Amanda told me "nope". I am too big and the goatskin hides and not big enough for me. I am not sure about your question. I think the 30s HB slimness is more in the body and shoulders, but I am sure the sleeves are "fitted".

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
But you can't carry it off if you've got any extra luggage around the belly.

Sir J

I wonder about that. I have a 7" drop between chest and waist. My 30s Halfbelt doesn't feel slim-fit to me at all. I need the shoulder width of the size 40 I have, but there is a lot of excess fabric around the back and the waist is much too wide for me. At least for me the jacket isn't slim-fitting at all. It would fit better if I had a belly. To get a jacket that really fits I ordered another one that is 40" in the shoulders but tapers down to a 38 from below the armholes. That should do the trick for me.

Edward

Bartender
Comparing my various Aeros, the 30s Halfbelt is a little slimmer than a Bootlegger, which is a *little* slimmer than an A2, which is in turn a little slimmer than a Highywayman. I have...... less of a drop between the two than is ideal, but can still just get away with the Thirties Halfbelt (by next Autumn I'll be smaller, I intend....). It's definitely a neat fitting jacket - personally, I like the feel of it being close like that. A looser jacket can be worn in warmer conditions, of course.

Edward

Bartender
I wonder about that. I have a 7" drop between chest and waist. My 30s Halfbelt doesn't feel slim-fit to me at all. I need the shoulder width of the size 40 I have, but there is a lot of excess fabric around the back and the waist is much too wide for me. At least for me the jacket isn't slim-fitting at all. It would fit better if I had a belly. To get a jacket that really fits I ordered another one that is 40" in the shoulders but tapers down to a 38 from below the armholes. That should do the trick for me.

Do bear in mind, though, that the standard sizings are based on "average" people.... you're probably very much in the minority to have that sort of difference! I had nearly ten inches at one point, in my very early twenties, but that has long been a distant memory!

tonypaj

Practically Family
The problem I had with this jacket was the huge difference between the front and the back lengths. Othewise very nice, but I'm an easy fit to begin with, and less concerned by the exact fit than the overall appearance.

Tito

A-List Customer
Hey Dave, here recent pics of my 1930 HB in black FQHH sz 40", the sleeves are slim.

24w5z4i.jpg

20j5it4.jpg

2qwol81.jpg

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
Tito,
Awesome pics. Thanks. You have enough room for a sweater/jumper as well. Looking forward to waiting 6-9 months to get my jacket :D

grey_goat

New in Town
I'm also very interested in this jacket (or the bootlegger). However, I can't decide if I like the looks of the belt while it's being worn, and I can only seem to find front shots in the forum. Does anyone have a shot of the back while the jacket is on?

Davo

New in Town
Tito, that jacket looks superb. The fit is perfect. Did you size up or are you usually a 40?

Gambetto

Familiar Face
I wouldn't reduce the sleeves. Unless you are extremely thin, with narrow shoulders, the 1930's should fit you nicely. I personally think it is a closer fit than the Route 66, if that helps, even though the latter is a cossack style jacket, as well.

I have seen the half belt also fit smallish people quite well. For instance, there is a guy from Spain who is about 5"8 and the jacket looks really good on him. He is not rail thin, but the jacket is a bit large on him in a good way, larger than on Tito, who is also from Spain. The back is tailored to fit him. I noticed his is 23.5 or so, I think.

For me, as you might have surmised from a recent thread, the real debate was about the back of the jacket, rather than the sleeves. This design is very unique in that the back is shorter than the front by about an inch or so, and I'm sure you know that. A low hanging "beak like" front does not flatter every type of physique. It was borderline on me, but the rest looked very good.

The front of this jacket is NOT designed for overweight people. Back in the 1930's, most folks were much thinner around the waist than the average American today, even though many had fairly healthy shoulders from doing more physical labor than many of us do today. Not so many machines to do the work for them back then! If you doubt me, then sit in a movie theater with seats from the 1930's. They will seem very small if you are anything like me. I am 5"11 with a 36 inch waist.

Gambetto

Familiar Face
It sounds as though you are ordering a back that is the same length as the front, if memory serves on that German's jacket (Jan Solo, I believe). That is certainly a good option if you want to avoid the "beak." I thought long and hard about keeping the front and back the same length but ultimately defaulted to Aero's originality in staying true to tradition on the 30's style. I say "originality" because that front is a gutsy move, both on Aero's part, and on the part of buyers to be brave.

I noticed that Jan ordered very thick goatskin for his jacket. It made for a very unique looking jacket to me. It did not hang like most goatskin. In fact, it hung much better, especially in the sleeves. Still, it did not hang as well as horsehide in my estimation along the shoulders and sleeves. The front and back were quite nice, however, and hung very very well, at least to my eye. Jan, I think, already has plenty of horsehide jackets, so I think his choice in a cut for his goatskin was very smart.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner