Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero 50s Halfbelt

t-ray

New in Town
I've been gushing about my new-to-me brown Vanson PLU-3 (long Comet) that I purchased from fellow lounger, Jimmer_5 and detailed on a separate thread.

Well, Jimmer and I discussed the Vanson and agreed terms of the sale. I was pressing the "send funds" button on Paypal when Jimmer said, "I just thought I'd let you know, in a few days I'm going to be selling my as new custom brown FQHH Aero 50s Halfbelt ".

Now, this jacket has been on my wish list for a while now - I don't have the figure for the 30s Halfbelt, and the Highwayman looks too boxy for me. Jimmer sent me photos and agreed to hold off advertising until I'd had a chance to try on the Vanson for size. Technically (and according to the label) this jacket is part of Aero's "Ace Cafe Collection". I knew I just had to have it.

Long story short, I'm now the proud owner of another beautiful Aero as well as another awesome Vanson. Jimmer had this Aero made with an extra inch on the body and arms, zippered cuffs instead of knit, extra chest and inside pockets, no snaps on the collar, twin adjusting buckles on each side, and a lovely tartan wool lining.

The jacket is still stiff and needs breaking in, but I think it's an awesome coat and I love Jimmers finishing touches. Here's a couple of photos I just took today, hope you all like it too.

HalfBeltUnzipped_zps3fbab61f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
HalfBeltzipped_zpsa559af9d.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Watch out- Jimmer's got a hell of an engineer boot collection too!!

Btw- that jacket (and fit) is really sharp!! Congrats

jimmer_5

Practically Family
I am really happy to see these fit pics. The jacket fits you much better than it ever fit me. It's amazing how much my understanding of proper fit has changed in the last few years. When I originally received this jacket, I thought it was a perfect fit on me. Now, a few years later, I know that it was always a size too big - if I had originally bought a size 42, it would still be in my closet right now. Congratulations, and I'm genuinely pleased to see how much you like it and that it fits you so well.

BTW, this model is called the "ACE Halfbelt". It's a 50's HB with double waist straps.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
That 50's "Ace" HB is really the bee's knees, and the fit looks great! I really like the double waist straps as well, maybe less likely to come loose than the single. Are those zip sleeves? Maybe show us a back shot if you get a chance.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Really cool looking jacket and can see the contrast between the fit of your 50's "Ace" HB and the more tailored fit of the Vanson PLU-3. A very nice duo for less money than if jimmer_5 had not parted with these jackets. ;)

IMG] [/IMG]
ZippedUpBodyampArms_zps0adffcae.jpg
[/URL][/IMG][/QUOTE]

schitzo

Suspended
I don't quite get what the thinking behind double side adjusters is.. but them zip sleeves are cool. Looks like a pretty good buy from here

jimmer_5

Practically Family
I don't quite get what the thinking behind double side adjusters is.. but them zip sleeves are cool. Looks like a pretty good buy from here

The adjustment straps are kind of narrow - two straps per side nicely matches the width of the belt around the back. It's just a style preference.

Edward

Bartender
Also, it more closely mimics the jackets worn by late 50s/early 60s Rockers, a core group within the Ace Cafe's market back in the day, and the one for which it is most famous.

scrawlysteve

One of the Regulars
You may be right--my memory is not what it once was....but I was a late50s /early 60s rocker and I don't remember any of my mates wearing a jacket with its side adjusters (whether one or two) anywhere but on the hem--not several inches above it, nor do I remember halfbelts, nor any colour but black.....there were always mavericks of course ( Belstaffs, old Irvins etc. ) but the basic uniform was blue jeans, black leather jacket, white silk scarf, Brylcreem .....

This is not at all to diss the halfbelt shown--it is lovely....but not what the rockers I knew were wearing.....

jimmer_5

Practically Family
You may be right--my memory is not what it once was....but I was a late50s /early 60s rocker and I don't remember any of my mates wearing a jacket with its side adjusters (whether one or two) anywhere but on the hem--not several inches above it, nor do I remember halfbelts, nor any colour but black.....there were always mavericks of course ( Belstaffs, old Irvins etc. ) but the basic uniform was blue jeans, black leather jacket, white silk scarf, Brylcreem .....

This is not at all to diss the halfbelt shown--it is lovely....but not what the rockers I knew were wearing.....

Yeah, I can't speak to the historical accuracy of this feature - I just like it personally. Then again, I am not really a huge stickler for historical accuracy.

Edward

Bartender

No, fair point... I wasn't there, but I've seen all the photos... ;) I thought I had seen shots of a halfbelt, but I could be wrong. Certainly 99% of them were Highwaymanesque... I agree the brown is off, but that said, the standard Aero offering in the Ace range was black - this one must have been done to custom order.

As an aside, the impression I've had from all the photos of the Ace scene was that the Perfecto style was relatively rare as compared to the striahgt centre zip jackets. Was that how it was?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR