Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero B3/B6/Customization Options

ziggytsardust

New in Town
Edward, how warm is it when you fully strap the neck of the B3? I would imagine that it would be much more warmer than an RAF, I used a peacoat today, and I flipped up the collar but was still very cold, would this essentially be the same feeling if I chose the RAF? (I'm starting to lean more towards the b3 now :))

Edward

Bartender
Short answer: very. lol This is the B3 collar fully up and buckled:

B3PhotosUploaded11September2008021.jpg

I've never actually worn it out like that... I have been out in conditions where it would have been cold enough to need my ears covered while wearing it, but I was also wearing a matching B2 cap so I had that folded down instead. With the Irvin collar fastened up (I find the buckle arrangement on the RAF jacket a little trickier, if anything - YMMV), they're much of a muchness round the ears; the difference is, of course, on the face. As long as my ears are warm, it would have to get ridiculously cold before I'd feel the need to cover my face like that, but that's the main difference. They're both great jacket designs, so it's all personaly opinion (though I warn you, before long you will find that there is only one true answer to this 'either or' question: both! ;) ).

Reactions: Dav

ziggytsardust

New in Town
Short answer: very. lol This is the B3 collar fully up and buckled:

B3PhotosUploaded11September2008021.jpg

I've never actually worn it out like that... I have been out in conditions where it would have been cold enough to need my ears covered while wearing it, but I was also wearing a matching B2 cap so I had that folded down instead. With the Irvin collar fastened up (I find the buckle arrangement on the RAF jacket a little trickier, if anything - YMMV), they're much of a muchness round the ears; the difference is, of course, on the face. As long as my ears are warm, it would have to get ridiculously cold before I'd feel the need to cover my face like that, but that's the main difference. They're both great jacket designs, so it's all personaly opinion (though I warn you, before long you will find that there is only one true answer to this 'either or' question: both! ;) ).

no need for a scarf with that arrangement!, do you happen to also have a picture of the raf with the neck strapped up as well?

Thanks again!

alfyman

One of the Regulars
Hi again, I would advise to buy one and then another, as i have four different jackets now, I would have had ten but I grew out of some...

Edward

Bartender
no need for a scarf with that arrangement!, do you happen to also have a picture of the raf with the neck strapped up as well?

Thanks again!

This one I posted earlier in the thread has the collar up - not immediately obvious as it's a bit dark, but it was taken in a mirror so I had to switch off the flash.

IMAG0373.jpg

xt40

Familiar Face
would it make it more durable if it was overlayed with horsehide moneywise?
im not exactly sure what you mean but somebody here already got one completely covered in horsehide. i'm not sure if it was a good idea as i would imagine the bulk and stiffness would make it unwearable.

ziggytsardust

New in Town
im not exactly sure what you mean but somebody here already got one completely covered in horsehide. i'm not sure if it was a good idea as i would imagine the bulk and stiffness would make it unwearable.

do you happen to have a link? I am very interested in this possiblity/would like to ask the person if he/she is satisfied/regrets the decision. Thanks again in advance!

is the sheepskin leather part of the b3 durable? I am just afraid of having it catch on something and tear quite easily...

In my experience, one does have to be careful with it. Mine has torn getting out of my car on my wife's rose trees. But my B3 is a mid-priced jacket, not an Aero or Barnes or LW.

ziggytsardust

New in Town
In my experience, one does have to be careful with it. Mine has torn getting out of my car on my wife's rose trees. But my B3 is a mid-priced jacket, not an Aero or Barnes or LW.

So far I'm thinking of going with Aero, I hope it's durable, do you think it would be wiser to go redskin or tri colour?

ziggytsardust

New in Town
Hey Ziggy,

did you end up finding a good shearling jacket in the end?

Yes! I placed an order with Aero for a B3 in russet! (will post pics when they arrive eta:12-14 weeks)

I am very excited, does anyone know where to find good russet boots or shearling boots?

Thanks everyone for the advice so far!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24