Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero: Cafe racer or Half-Belt!!??

reeks1

One of the Regulars
Edward,
Thank you for the detailed reply. You guys are killing me with the back and forth on HB v. Cafe. Damn!! I do think that the "collarless" look is bit different and sportier. I'm a lawyer and have my own practice, so I can wear what I want, but my overall "look" is classic: Alden Indy boots, dark selvedge denim, J Crew and Ralph Lauren. I'm a big watch guy, with pieces from IWC, Audemars Piguet and Rolex and others. Just trying to paint a picture, no bragging.
I think the cafe racer style jacket will work well/contrast slightly with this conservative look. I'm afraid that the collar look will only "age" me a bit. I'm 42, fyi. On the other hand, maybe the cafe racer thing isn't right, either. lol.
My fit jacket is a cafe. Worst case, I send it back try the HB and go from there, right?

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
I have noticed this with my new Aero cafe racer. Do you think this will subside with time? How long have you had the jacket. Thanks.

About a year. I did some things to it break the back of the neck in like hung it on a round ball on the end of a hook for awhile. Seemed to help a little, but that stiff horse is pretty unyielding.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Personally, I'd go with the HB. The CR's a nice style but I think with a slim-fit HB, especially in brown FQHH, is pretty hard to beat in terms of low-key cool.

Last edited:

technovox

One Too Many
Edward,
Thank you for the detailed reply. You guys are killing me with the back and forth on HB v. Cafe. Damn!! I do think that the "collarless" look is bit different and sportier. I'm a lawyer and have my own practice, so I can wear what I want, but my overall "look" is classic: Alden Indy boots, dark selvedge denim, J Crew and Ralph Lauren. I'm a big watch guy, with pieces from IWC, Audemars Piguet and Rolex and others. Just trying to paint a picture, no bragging.
I think the cafe racer style jacket will work well/contrast slightly with this conservative look. I'm afraid that the collar look will only "age" me a bit. I'm 42, fyi. On the other hand, maybe the cafe racer thing isn't right, either. lol.
My fit jacket is a cafe. Worst case, I send it back try the HB and go from there, right?

Not to muddy the waters, but if you can't decide, another option is to combine the best of both styles. A cafe racer's slim body fit with zippered sleeves and a spread collar...aka The Sheene by Aero. I'm not sure if it's on the Aero website, but Insurrection offers it. I just got one from them, and I love it. I have a closet full of cafe racers, but this is the one I wear. Just a thought.
Otherwise, I've found my Aero 30's Half-belt to be a more versatile and classic look. A cafe works better for a casual situation. (But here in San Francisco, one can flaunt almost any sartorial boundaries.) Tough choice. Get them both!

Last edited:

reeks1

One of the Regulars
Can you post or send some pics of your Sheene?

Not to muddy the waters, but if you can't decide, another option is to combine the best of both styles. A cafe racer's slim body fit with zippered sleeves and a spread collar...aka The Sheene by Aero. I'm not sure if it's on the Aero website, but Insurrection offers it. I just got one from them, and I love it. I have a closet full of cafe racers, but this is the one I wear. Just a thought.
Otherwise, I've found my Aero 30's Half-belt to be a more versatile and classic look. A cafe works better for a casual situation. (But here in San Francisco, one can flaunt almost any sartorial boundaries.) Tough choice. Get them both!

That's a great suggestions, but I'd love (read: need) to see the jacket. Can you post or email me some pics? I'm : cgp@porrecalaw.com
Thank you!!!

technovox

One Too Many
That's a great suggestions, but I'd love (read: need) to see the jacket. Can you post or email me some pics? I'm : cgp@porrecalaw.com
Thank you!!!

I just emailed you a couple comparison pics of my Aero Half-belt and Sheene. They're not really great pics, so I'll try to take some better ones this weekend that I can up load to this Fedora site for anyone interested.

Carrie @ Thurston Bros.

Sponsoring Affiliate
I just emailed you a couple comparison pics of my Aero Half-belt and Sheene. They're not really great pics, so I'll try to take some better ones this weekend that I can up load to this Fedora site for anyone interested.

If you could send us the photos after you take them this coming weekend, that would be awesome... We'd love to have the shots on our Gallery page!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou