Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Come Good - TWICE

wdw

One Too Many
Good Thing 1: Just back from picking up my new FQHH Stockman, after the last one came with sleeves at least 1" less than specced. Interestingly, this time the cordovan is a much richer, darker colour, which is fine by me. A nice touch was that I was offered a choice of two identical Stockmans, as when Julie had finished the first one she accidentally put a 1" scratch on the hem, felt guilty about it and proceeded to make me another one blemish free. I actually took the original as it just "felt" better. All jackets get scratched over time, so that wasn't an issue to me.

Good Thing 2: After Holly's worrying announcement about steer being sold as FQHH, my nagging doubts about the HWM I got in June increased. I took that down this morning and Ken pronounced it a monstrosity (or words to that effect). The jacket which I thought looked fine, but felt and looked a bit different to my vintage FQHH has turned out to be a shocking mixture of both steer and horse, with badly matched colour and grain to boot (to the professional eye), which had somehow slipped through QA.

Ken was mortified, and suggested I try on a stock steer Cordovan in my size, which I did and actually preferred the look and cut to the original, so I just took that as a replacement for the monstrous hybrid. Given that Ken and the team had to have a really good look to confirm the difference between steer and horse, I decided I'd rather take the steer now than wait for a horse which looks pretty much identical. It seems the simplest way to tell the difference is by weight, rather than appearance.

Anyway, here's a close-up of my brand new cordovan steer and FQHH side-by-side. See if you can tell the difference.
Grain_zps8ec4bf32.jpg

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Eric, I am unable to discern the difference. I should receive a long awaited vintage black FQHH Highwayman before too much longer and will be interesting to compare to my brown steerhide Highwayman.

jack miranda

A-List Customer
The only discernible difference I can see is

the FQHH is a little darker color. I've had two Aero jackets in heavy steerhide and they were both REALLY heavy, stiff hides. My FQHH Hercules is a bit stiff for the first few minutes of wearing, but, definitely a different critter.

cloudylemonade

A-List Customer
I heard about your combo jacket, and shockingly you don't seem to be the only person who's been landed with this! Mortified doesn't begin to cover it, but at least that is behind us now.

Glad to hear everything was sorted out for you in a timely fashion.

wdw

One Too Many
Fanch, I'm surprised how difficult it is for a layman to tell the difference, which shows how important it is to be able to trust the manufacturer. I also have a vintage black FQHH Teamster which has a lovely glow to it, so I'm sure you'll love your new HWM.

Jack, I deliberately didn't say which of the hides was which, just to see if anyone was able to tell for themselves. The colours in the pic are probably distorted by the flash, but in real life are virtually identical. I'm still not saying which is which.:)

Cloudy, it was great to be able to get a much nicer replacement off the rack, so thanks very much for that. I must admit, having seen your gorgeous Kudu Pioneer in the flesh, I'd happily have paid extra to walk away with that if you'd had it in my size.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Fanch, I'm surprised how difficult it is for a layman to tell the difference, which shows how important it is to be able to trust the manufacturer. I also have a vintage black FQHH Teamster which has a lovely glow to it, so I'm sure you'll love your new HWM.

Jack, I deliberately didn't say which of the hides was which, just to see if anyone was able to tell for themselves. The colours in the pic are probably distorted by the flash, but in real life are virtually identical. I'm still not saying which is which.:)

Cloudy, it was great to be able to get a much nicer replacement off the rack, so thanks very much for that. I must admit, having seen your gorgeous Kudu Pioneer in the flesh, I'd happily have paid extra to walk away with that if you'd had it in my size.

Eric, I just flipped a coin but won't say which side won - heads or tails - other than to say that both sides are winners!

Cooperson

One Too Many
Very difficult to tell the difference, I would take either, but I'm seriously impressed with the way the company handled your issues - well done Aero!

InsOma

New in Town
Since we seem to be on the subject of objective differences between horse and steer, does anyone have any opinions about the leather grain in the pics seen below? It's a Highwayman, made in '08. The rear panel is all one piece, there's no "yoke" involved as seen on most other Highwaymen. . .

IMG_2181.jpg

IMG_2182.jpg

IMG_2170.jpg

wdw

One Too Many
The time has come to close off this circle, which started at the height of the storse controversy. Despite what I said above, I handed back my steer replacement HWM a week later as I wanted what I'd thought I was buying in the first place. I've just received the genuine FQHH replacement and am delighted with it, so thanks to Julie for yet another great job.

Specs - 40", standard back (25"), 25.5" sleeves (inc. 0.5" for wrinkling), Weathered Grant liner, which is think is the best match for cordovan, very smooth and cool sleeve linings (from the end of a roll, so not standard). It's built for layering with a jumper, so not as tight as many here. The only change to my original spec was that I now have the inner pocket as zipped. I've found on my other two jackets that the popper dent can be visible in certain lights, whereas a zip isn't.
Final-HWM1_zpsb75a57e3.jpg

Here's a shot of my replacement cordovan Stockman in Lungomare's home town...
StockmanSalz_zps918f8902.jpg

There have been a few hurdles to cross, but that all seems to be behind us now, so many thanks to Ken, Holly, Julie and the team for pulling together and providing outstanding customer service. You can't ask for anything more.

The time has come to close off this circle, which started at the height of the storse controversy. Despite what I said above, I handed back my steer replacement HWM a week later as I wanted what I'd thought I was buying in the first place. I've just received the genuine FQHH replacement and am delighted with it, so thanks to Julie for yet another great job.Specs - 40", standard back (25"), 25.5" sleeves (inc. 0.5" for wrinkling), Weathered Grant liner, which is think is the best match for cordovan, very smooth and cool sleeve linings (from the end of a roll, so not standard). It's built for layering with a jumper, so not as tight as many here. The only change to my original spec was that I now have the inner pocket as zipped. I've found on my other two jackets that the popper dent can be visible in certain lights, whereas a zip isn't.There have been a few hurdles to cross, but that all seems to be behind us now, so many thanks to Ken, Holly, Julie and the team for pulling together and providing outstanding customer service. You can't ask for anything more.
Those BOTH look great! Congrats. Nice that you still have some cool weather to enjoy them as well!

Heiko

Familiar Face
Good Thing 1: Just back from picking up my new FQHH Stockman, after the last one came with sleeves at least 1" less than specced. Interestingly, this time the cordovan is a much richer, darker colour, which is fine by me. A nice touch was that I was offered a choice of two identical Stockmans, as when Julie had finished the first one she accidentally put a 1" scratch on the hem, felt guilty about it and proceeded to make me another one blemish free. I actually took the original as it just "felt" better. All jackets get scratched over time, so that wasn't an issue to me.

Good Thing 2: After Holly's worrying announcement about steer being sold as FQHH, my nagging doubts about the HWM I got in June increased. I took that down this morning and Ken pronounced it a monstrosity (or words to that effect). The jacket which I thought looked fine, but felt and looked a bit different to my vintage FQHH has turned out to be a shocking mixture of both steer and horse, with badly matched colour and grain to boot (to the professional eye), which had somehow slipped through QA.

Ken was mortified, and suggested I try on a stock steer Cordovan in my size, which I did and actually preferred the look and cut to the original, so I just took that as a replacement for the monstrous hybrid. Given that Ken and the team had to have a really good look to confirm the difference between steer and horse, I decided I'd rather take the steer now than wait for a horse which looks pretty much identical. It seems the simplest way to tell the difference is by weight, rather than appearance.

Anyway, here's a close-up of my brand new cordovan steer and FQHH side-by-side. See if you can tell the difference.
Grain_zps8ec4bf32.jpg

I don't understand why this lack of quality control is tolerated. Aero has some serious quality issues. In my line of work, if I pulled this kind of nonsense on clients I would be flattened out and ridiculed.

Aero's seemingly endless problems and piss poor quality control may not have an impact for fedoralounge members at the moment...but this can't last. Aero produces some shoddy stuff and are living off their brand now--I'd say their best days are behind them.

Lungomare

A-List Customer
Here's a shot of my replacement cordovan Stockman in Lungomare's home town...
StockmanSalz_zps918f8902.jpg

Great choice twice - Stockman and Salzburg!

Great jacket in a great town :)

Kind regards,

Johannes

P.S.: The next time you stay here, send me a pm, so we can meet for one of those good Austrian beers!

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Eric, I couldn't be happier for you with the way your new HWM looks and fits. No one makes FQHH jackets like Aero!!

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Eric, if you get a chance, it would be great to see a family portrait with your HWM, Teamster, and Stockman shown together, much the way Dav (Nick) did awhile back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner