Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Heavy Steerhide vs. Vintage Horsehide

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
I've posted a few threads on this subject and I hope I'm not wearing out my welcome. Anyway I'm finally 99 and 44/100% sure of what I want (a Zip-sleeve Highwayman) but the one dilemma I have left reqards the skin. I think I know what both are like because I have a "competition" Vanson Enfield I got on ebay (it turned out to be two sizes too large but great for layering when it's cold) and I recently tried on a used HH Highwayman in a vintage shop. Are there any pros and cons to consider beyond the appearance of the two? I assume the vintage costs more. I specifically don't want the regular FQHH and having to deal with the break-in required. I know there's no "right answer" but I'd appreciate the opinions of others who have been there.

Then you know that Aero's FQHH is usually quite heavy and unique...but then..some of their steer can be as well. My Vanson Enfield in compo steer in nothing like Aero's steer. Although 'hefty' in weight..the Vanson is easier to wear than some of Aero's..to me. Best to let Amanda know just what you are looking for. They do offer lighterweight HH..and steer. I've had a couple of their Vintage HH jackets which were somewhat lighter weight and more relaxed.
HD

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I currently own a Highwayman in heavy steerhide that I bought on Aero's "Sale" page a few months ago and had the opportunity last month while visiting in Tennessee to handle and try on another FL member's Half Belt Deluxe in brown vintage FQHH that required very little break in and was extremely flexible. To me the choice would clearly be the vintage FQHH.

Peacoat

Bartender
If you wear it when you ride, you will want at least 3.5 oz. leather, regardless of the hide. I like my MC jackets to be in the 4 to 4.5 oz. range. For street wear, 3 or 3.5 oz. is what I prefer. Don't like the heavy leather unless I need it for riding.

Edward

Bartender
Most of my Aeros have been bought from the sale page or second hand, but when I ordered my Bootlegger back in 2010 and had a choice of leather, there wasn't any difference in price between the FQHH (which I preferred) and the Vintage FQHH (I don't know if that has changed, as they do now list differing prices no the site for FQHH and Steer). Of those two HHs, the vintage is definitely softer if you really don't want to break it in yourself. The two Steer Aeros I own are an MC / Perfecto style and one of the "Apprentice Made" Highwayman jackets. I think these might be the European Steer. It is the same thickness as my FQHH, but much softer from the off. For me personally, a better choice for the Highwayman as it gives it a drape much more like the original 50s jackets in that cut than FQHH would be. I can't comment on the "heavy steer" Aero produce - some folks do seem to think that it is heavier than FQHH, however. If you're not wanting a heavy jacket, you might consider asking about the lighter steer options, or mid-weight horse.

schitzo

Suspended
for me getting a short aero jacket in horsehide that isn't FQHH is tantamount to mugging yourself. I honestly don't think the break in is such an issue, as if the thing fits you well it'll be over before you know it. All you really need to do is wet the collar and the rest will take care of itself provided you wear the thing regularly. Done inside 2 months. But if the weight is still an issue you could always ask that they pick out one of the lighter FQ hides for your jacket - as obviously some of the batches of FQ are heavier than others

Graemsay

Practically Family
When I was at the Aero factory a few months back, Will reckoned the full-fat FQHH was the finest leather out there. The thing is that it needs a lot of wear to really soften it up, but when it does it gets a fantastic buttery quality.

I believe that the Vintage Horsehide is basically FQHH that's been run through an aging process, which I think involves something akin to a large washing machine drum.

I'd throw in oil pull horsehide as another alternative. It's tanned with a slightly different process, but ages much more rapidly.

When I was at the Aero factory a few months back, Will reckoned the full-fat FQHH was the finest leather out there. The thing is that it needs a lot of wear to really soften it up, but when it does it gets a fantastic buttery quality.

I believe that the Vintage Horsehide is basically FQHH that's been run through an aging process, which I think involves something akin to a large washing machine drum.

I'd throw in oil pull horsehide as another alternative. It's tanned with a slightly different process, but ages much more rapidly.

Yep..I have purchased several of Aero's other hides(steer..oil pull...vintage HH..buffalo) from their sale page..or eBay. However..ordering a new custom jacket..I just can't get past Aero's regular FQHH. It is so unique. I know of no one else offering it. To me..it is their 'signature' hide...but then..I also favor the way it breaks in and developes it's own charactor.
HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters