Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero interior pocket

GGinMP

New in Town
I'm planning an Aero Leather jacket purchase (Highwayman? 50's Half Belt?) and one of the add-ons I would like is an interior "gun" pocket (vertical opening, on the opposite side from the exterior chest pocket). I was suprised to read Aero's comments on this option:

"These have proved very popular although it's not an option we are too keen on and we strongly advise against this option especially in our slimmer fitting 1920s and 1930s styles. It's not a good idea in any leather jacket, the pattern of the inside pocket will gradually appear on the outside in the form of a rectangular wear pattern which will detract from the overall appearance of the jacket."

What's the consensus here? Anyone experience problems and/or "show through" over time?

Harris HTM

One Too Many
I'm planning an Aero Leather jacket purchase (Highwayman? 50's Half Belt?) and one of the add-ons I would like is an interior "gun" pocket (vertical opening, on the opposite side from the exterior chest pocket). I was suprised to read Aero's comments on this option:

"These have proved very popular although it's not an option we are too keen on and we strongly advise against this option especially in our slimmer fitting 1920s and 1930s styles. It's not a good idea in any leather jacket, the pattern of the inside pocket will gradually appear on the outside in the form of a rectangular wear pattern which will detract from the overall appearance of the jacket."

What's the consensus here? Anyone experience problems and/or "show through" over time?

Are you planning to get a FQHH or steerhide jacket? If not then I wouldn't see any problem with the pocket, especially since you are after jacket styles which don't fit tight, such as the Highwayman.

wdw

One Too Many
On my FQHHs, I've had internal pockets with zips, press studs and open and feel that the open gun pocket is the least obvious, with the zip being the worst.

Depending on the other jacket pocket styles, I'd be inclined to always have a gun pocket, as nothing is likely to fall out or be picked, making the zip or stud unnecessary.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
I have the LHB (based on 50's HB) in FQHH. I've seen no "outline" of my interior pocket. TBH - I can't imagine not having the pocket. It is amazingly handy. Mine came with a stud, but the stud isn't necessary as the pocket is quite deep.

Harris HTM

One Too Many
I have the LHB (based on 50's HB) in FQHH. I've seen no "outline" of my interior pocket. TBH - I can't imagine not having the pocket. It is amazingly handy. Mine came with a stud, but the stud isn't necessary as the pocket is quite deep.

No meaning to hijack the thread but since I'm planning to get a long half belt could please pm me with the size? Thanks

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
On my FQHHs, I've had internal pockets with zips, press studs and open and feel that the open gun pocket is the least obvious, with the zip being the worst.

Depending on the other jacket pocket styles, I'd be inclined to always have a gun pocket, as nothing is likely to fall out or be picked, making the zip or stud unnecessary.
I second this. Also, for me at least one inside pocket is a must have on just about any style of jacket.

thor

Call Me a Cab
There's no ghostly "show through" on the inside gun pockets on G-1 jackets that are 50 or even 60 years old. G-1 jackets are goatskin (lighter weight than FQHH) and some of that vintage goat is very robust and quite thick but I've never seen any pocket outline. Just one man's observation :rolleyes:

GGinMP

New in Town
I agree that an inside pocket is practically an essential. I'm pleased to hear that people haven't had problems with having one. I was pretty suprised by Aeros' strong words against them. Besides feeling better about ordering a pocket, I also appreciate the comments about the pocket closures. I was debating about a zipper or button, but it does seem superfluous.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Below is a picture of an inside pocket without closure on my Teamster that I took right after I got the coat several years ago. Thus far I find no evidence of any kind of appearance on the outside in the form of a rectangular wear pattern to this point. I might have been the first to request no snap or zipper closure for an inside pocket. I will say that on my four slim fit Aero jackets I elected no inside pockets.

8C3383BF-A0AD-4590-BF5A-6C60125D7A0A-1167-000002B4D0395E10.jpg

I find the openings (facings) pretty bulky, especially in FQHH.
I opted for no inside gun pocket on my custom jacket.
I prefer a pocket in the lining.
4bl6Zmk.jpg

Last edited:

zebedee

One Too Many
Both the pocket outlines and studs are visible through my Highwayman. It's annoying. On all subsequent Aeros I took Ken's advice and went without interior pockets. Long Half Belt has cargo pockets anyway. The 'lines' of all my other Aeros are much better.

It's up to you, though- the interior pockets are useful, but may show through.

Davy Crockett

A-List Customer
I agree with Zebedee, with hard wear the vertical pockets in the lining can show through particularly if they are stud fastened (just as the collar studs on A2's do), I moved to the horizontal pockets in the lining and have had no problems (with both studs and zips). although I'm not sure if Aero still offer these.

D

zebedee

One Too Many
If you do go with a pocket, don't get zip/stud on it. If the pockets were not leather-lined, that might solve some of the potential problem, but with external hand warmer pockets (and possibly cargo pockets) in addition to an external chest pocket on Aeros (and trouser pockets), do you need the internal pockets? The jackets do look better without.

dan_t

Practically Family
I have an FQHH Sheene in brown. I opted for an inner pocket, on the opposite side to the external chest pocket.
The pocket surround is very thick when you have multiple layers of leather & it IS visible from the outside.
Now, this is a close fitting pattern & this may not help.
If I were to order again, I'd opt for no inner pockets.

None of my Aeros have this pocket and I agree with their sentiment. I once owned a CXL FQHH Aero CR (second hand) with the pocket and it absolutely did show thru. I hated it.
That said I find it an essential pocket on my Vanson, the leather is different tho and with the leather lined open pocket there's no ghost to the outer shell.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy