Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Jackets in really cold weather

Dudleydoright

A-List Customer
'Invisible on Everest' has been covered elsewhere on FL and is a very interesting book.
Certainly the old ways of dressing were very efficient and tweeds were NOT worn on the ascent !!

Rob, if you can get a down vest on under your Aero then you are a better man than I !! In the UK I find that my Highwayman is too warm for all but the coldest weather we get here if I just wear a t-shirt and thin merino wool sweater. The issue for me is that the oils in the Aero hide just make it much stiffer. For me to buy an Aero that is wearable most of the year, I need it to fit fairly snug as it's plenty warm enough.

The oils also help to conduct heat out which could be an issue in very cold temps.

Cheers, Dave

gfirob

Familiar Face
Good thought

OK, will definitely not wear a tomato-skinned jacket...

When we were working in Antarctica in the summer (December, January) during the full sun of the day (probably 15 to 20 degrees F), it was often too warm to wear our full kit, including the big expedition parka. All the other layers were plenty, as long as there was a wind layer. Unless the sun went away. Or the wind came up. Or a blizzard came...

And I'm thinking the inside of the leather jacket will be warm from body heat so its not like the entire thing is that cold (as it would be left out in a car).

And I bought my jackets big so I could wear a vest under them. I have worn both a polar fleece vest and a down vest at different times.

Really what this is all about is vanity. I have to spend a couple of days in Copenhagen and in Stockholm and I want to wear a leather jacket in the city. And I don't want to travel with two coats. It may be that I am just talking myself into something stupid, although spending this kind of money on leather jackets is kind of stupid in the first place.

But don't you love them?

Fiver64

Practically Family
Cold Aero

In the "for-what-it's-worth" catagory....... I have FQHH AERO HIGHWAYMAN (nicely beaten up) and have worn it once during -30 degree weather. Won't do it again! The leather was fine, I was plenty warm with appropriate layering, BUT....... the leather became expectedly stiff and chaffed the b'jesus out of the side of my neck and under my chin. It was like bobbing my head around a ring of saddle leather. Gotta go with those fellow loungers residing in colder climes. Any coat CAN be worn in cold weather, but NOT all coats are made for it!

I was truly impressed with the informative freezer test, though! :) Cheers!

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
gfirob said:
Really what this is all about is vanity. I have to spend a couple of days in Copenhagen and in Stockholm and I want to wear a leather jacket in the city. And I don't want to travel with two coats. It may be that I am just talking myself into something stupid, although spending this kind of money on leather jackets is kind of stupid in the first place.

You will be absolutely fine in your Aero jacket in KBH and Stockholm, and also even northern Sweden. I lived all up over 3 years in northern and mid Norway and never had any problems whatsoever with my leather jackets. Trust me, your jackets aren't going to fall apart, crack, weaken drastically, etc, etc.

I wore mine in temperatures on occasion even below -35C although when it's getting that cold a parka is far more practical especially if you are in the country. If you do only take a leather jacket just make sure you have some decent thermals and a good jumper to layer under it.

eClairvaux

One of the Regulars
i wore my HWY Man all through last winter for everything but formal occasions and winter sports. Temperatures were as low as -15 degrees in the Alps, where I spend most of my time. I had absolutely no issues with the leather being noticeably stiff, let alone showing any cracks. I did feel that I broke it in much quicker than expected though.

gfirob

Familiar Face
test drive...

Wore the Bootlegger in New Hampshire in the snow today, temperature about 31 and windy. Two cotton shirts, jeans, no scarf or hat. Plenty warm, but my ears got kind of cold. I think this jacket will probably do fine in Sweden.

But thanks for all the commentary and help.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
No FQHH, but my USAuthentic sheepskin M-444 got me quite handsomely thru last winter in Iowa, with temps into the -20s °F.
2348004931_5bec5c0115_o.jpg

No, I didn't wear the flight helmet (no sheep in that).

Ace Rimmer

One of the Regulars
Wore my Highwayman today in 32 degree weather. We had snow yesterday. No problems at all. My jacket has the wool alpaca lining and I wore a thin wool sweater underneath.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats