Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero or other jacket for big fellas?

frussell

One Too Many
Hey folks. I'm sure this has been asked before, but I couldn't find anything. I'm looking at ordering a longer-length Aero, and wanted to see if any other big guys had ideas or photos to share to help my process. I'm looking at the Long Half Belt, the Cheyenne, and the Veste de Rallye. I'm a 54, and stand about 6 foot 5", and my weight runs anywhere from 275 up, depending on how long I've been hibernating, so I don't look right in the shorter jackets. I'm definitely looking at horsehide. I'd like to know if any other larger guys have any suggestions on sleeve length, zipper models v.s. button-ups, different styles, etc... Photos greatly appreciated. Also, if there's another custom shop I should be looking at, let me know. I have a U.S. Wings and I'm not interested in "Indy" stuff at the moment. Thanks, Frank

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
A think a long half-belt is ideal for your size. Shorter jackets can look a bit naff if you're 6ft 5, I think. My work buddy is 6ft 6 and he wears a long half belt from MARS is Melbourne. It looks great. I would go Aero or Johnson Leather in San Fran. Alan is a dream to work with.

Feel your pain brother! I'm small in comparison at 6'-4", 240, but yeah, it's tough. Aero is certainly the top-runner here. And I have three USWings that fit just barely, length wise.
I'm not an Indy guy per se, but the Cow Hero is a great jacket. I have the Cow A2 too.
Amanda at Aero rocks. Email them. They'll make anything you need. Takes time and money, but not many options for us. I know, I've contacted them ALL :(

frussell

One Too Many
Seb and other gentlemen - Yeah, the long half belt is definitely at the top of my list. I've been in contact with the guy at Aero U.S.A., should I just skip the middleman and go through the maker? Is there any money to be saved by dealing directly with Aero in Scotland? Butte, I've got the U.S. Wings VIP cowhide Indy in a 3XL Long, which fits just fine. I'm a sucker for horsehide though, and most other makers seem to cut off at size 50 or 52. I can fit in a 52, but I need a little more give, so I'm only looking at the Aero models that come in a 54, which seem to be the Veste de Rallye and the Long Half Belt. It never gets too cold where I live, so I need the most lightweight lining, no storm cuffs, etc.., which makes it a custom job instead of one of the ready-made offerings from eBay. Thanks for the input. I'd still love to see some photos of bigger owners' jackets, if possible. Thanks, Frank

RP McMurphy

One of the Regulars
Agreed with all of the above, but why not go with the standard half-belt? I have a long half-belt, 1930's Half-belt, and a 30's bootlegger. I wouldn't suggest the 30's cut, but the long-halfbelt never gets worn. Just an awkward length, IMHO. You can ask Aero to just lengthen the body a tad more if you like. I did that on the 30's Halfbelt, and it does look quite nice. I think I added an inch to the jacket, and it really changed the proportions.

Side note: Heavy horsehide is quite chilly in colder weather, as in the leather itself gets stiff and COLD. You might want to think of a heavier-weight lining if you intend to wear for warmth vs. protection. Aero can do a heavier tartan lining if you ask them.

too much coffee

Practically Family
Seb and other gentlemen - Yeah, the long half belt is definitely at the top of my list. I've been in contact with the guy at Aero U.S.A., should I just skip the middleman and go through the maker? Is there any money to be saved by dealing directly with Aero in Scotland? Butte, I've got the U.S. Wings VIP cowhide Indy in a 3XL Long, which fits just fine. I'm a sucker for horsehide though, and most other makers seem to cut off at size 50 or 52. I can fit in a 52, but I need a little more give, so I'm only looking at the Aero models that come in a 54, which seem to be the Veste de Rallye and the Long Half Belt. It never gets too cold where I live, so I need the most lightweight lining, no storm cuffs, etc.., which makes it a custom job instead of one of the ready-made offerings from eBay. Thanks for the input. I'd still love to see some photos of bigger owners' jackets, if possible. Thanks, Frank

Hi frussell!

Go direct with Amanda or Will at Aero.
Since you're looking at some custom features, talk directly with the manufacturer. Our friends in Europe do this and it works out fine for them.
Frankly, I could never understand why anyone would go through AeroUSA for their jackets.

Regards, coffee

twinx1649

New in Town
I think it might make sense to go through Aero USA if you are in the same Time Zone. Mark Moye has been easy to contact and work with on my custom order. I should have it by late June... I will post pictures and details then.

Jim Mc.
USA

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
I think it might make sense to go through Aero USA if you are in the same Time Zone. Mark Moye has been easy to contact and work with on my custom order. I should have it by late June... I will post pictures and details then.

Jim Mc.
USA

There has been a long debate on this subject here. It seems like it took ages for jackets to arrive in US after being ordered through Aero USA - and the communication wasn't great either. It might have changed - just mention it.

Dav

One Too Many
I agree with what others have said "deal directly with Aero in Scotland" from what I've gathered on here I think you'll be much happier IMO.

Yep, the USW pieces in cow are some of my fave jackets now. Thinking of getting the VIP Hero in cow too in the 3XL Long if I like the antique cow coming on Tuesday.
I generally don't post pix of myself online, but we'll see. Maybe we can have a BIG GUY PIX thread ;)
And by big guy, I'm not talking about big guys in the "I eat 6000 calories a day and don't care how I look" guys. Not to be an ass or anything, but I see some guys that should not be spending $1200 on a custom jacket and instead, put some effort into getting themselves healthy enough to look good in a well -fitting jacket. I have lost 15 pounds in the last two months because frankly, I needed to and recognized it. I'm happier, and my wife is too. Please don't take those sentiments as being mean or uncaring. Indeed, the opposite. We need to encourage follk's to get themselves healthier.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
I am also "A Big Guy" and when I started looking for a Irvin jacket, I realized a couple of things. Primarily: I could not fin an original in my size. People - especially fighter pilots - back then, just did not have the same proportions. (6'5 and 52" chest)
I looked at Eastman because everybody said they did the best repros. But they only do up to 48". And I could not persuade Garry to do a bigger one for me.
Then I looked at Aero Scotland - who did up to a 50". Talked to Amanda. And they made me a 52".
Now they even have 52" as a regular fit.
So don't say it can not be done. Aero Scotland can! Great service - great people!

After two years, I shrunk the jacket. Actually because the fleece still looked wrong, fluffy and new. So I gave it a bathtub soaking and a tumbledry - followed by 3 days and nights hanging outside in the sun and the wind. Now the jacket looks so much better. Much more authentic - and fits like a glove.
(See the pics in the Irvin Repro thread)

Last edited:
Spitfire: Aero are about the only ones willing. Only downsides are a weak dollar and time to deliver. Otherwise, I guess we only need one maker on our side. :)
I think maybe we should have a Big Guy thread. Even if it's only three of us.

Feel your pain Frank I really do. Finding the right clothing comes down to timing. Rather it does for me it is alot like a magic trick you have to have the timing. My only problem is timing is never right, it comes down to having the money at the time and not being able to find what your looking for. Or finding exactly what your looking for and not having the money at the time. Personally I have not had any money since 1989. I have four children and now one grandchild who is moving in next week. Will say a prayer for ya tho...

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
I'm not fat. I'm big-boned. Thanks, Frank
Yes, aren't we all?
Just a joke, Frank. And not even on you or your size - merely on the whole concept of a "big fellas in leather" thread. :)

(I know what we big-boned fellas go through. Trust me.
When I finally got an original Irvin on ebay - should be in my size - I had it for about half an hour before I sold it off again.
I could close it but could not zip it all the way up across the chest.
That's probably the closest I'll ever get to an original WWII Irvin.)

Last edited:

frussell

One Too Many
I hear you Spitfire. I'm not especially sensitive about my size. My wife is only beginning to understand my habit of snapping up things that fit, even if I don't really need them, just because it's so rare to find something in my size. Especially WWII stuff, which I've given up on. I know they had big guys in the service, because my grandfather was roughly my size, and he was in the Navy in the South Pacific, but I guess there werent as many huge airmen, due to cockpit/aircraft size restrictions. I'll probably sell a few things in order to get this Aero, but hopefully I'll have a well made jacket for the rest of my life. Thanks for all the input. Frank

I'm not remotely fat. I'm shaped like a "normal" guy, just 2x the size. So like Frank, my wife and I also snag things that fit me when we find them.
Just went out last night for some new running shoes, and it took me trips to three shoe stores before I got a pair.
I simply can't afford in time and money to have everything custom made...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran