Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero real deal Hide

Corky

Practically Family
The ultimate source might be... Horses?

The ultimate source might be... Horses?

The horse industry is different in Europe than in the USA.

More people consume horse meat, etc.

Gibson & Barnes gets their hides from a tannery in Italy. So, if that's their economical source, one might assume that Aero does likewise.

A bit off topic: but when I was a student in Paris, a friend took me out for "Real American Hamburgers" at someplace near the Paris Zoo. We sat down and he ordered a plateful of burgers & fries plus cokes and it was wonderful. The meal was perfect: the meat was tender, juicy, cooked just right, freshly toasted buns, and plenty of real American fries and ice-cold cokes. I offered to buy the next round , but asked my friend how to order the burgers.

He said "Just go over and ask for CHEVAL, meaning Horseman or Knight -- that's what they call it here: The Knight Burger."

"No, " I replied "Knight is Cavalier or Chevalier. CHEVAL!!? That means We Are Eating Horsemeat!"

Elmonteman

One of the Regulars
Since there are not as many suppliers of heavy weight hides as there use to be, Aero and Lost Worlds almost have to make some purchases at Horween. But when you make as many jackets as Aero, they get approached by a variety of suppliers. That's one of the reasons that from season to season hides tend to fluctuate in color, weight and/or disappear. I miss that water buffalo both Aero and LW use to have--although of course they were very different from each other. Amanda at Aero told me that they don't intend to get any more seal brown buffalo. One of my favorite jackets from Aero is a black steerhide with a very interesting sheen. It was a demo jacket that they tried out a new supplier's leather on. I bought it in Hollywood and when I asked Ken Calder (founder of Aero) about it, he astonished me by remembering that jacket. He told me he'd almost kept it for himself. This was of course a few years ago, before he retired.

JanSolo

Practically Family
I can only agree to what HoosierDaddy, Elmonteman, and GHQ1 said before. All grades of horsehide Aero use are supplied by Horween. Even the veg tanned goat is a Horween product.

The stuff Aero uses for the RealDeal jackets is not a lesser product. It's just that the panels of the jacket are not that carefully matched i.e. the cutter spends less time on selecting the skins. This normally leads to a great amount of grain variation on the finished jacket which I find very pleasing. Wartime A-2s where probably all made that way...

richard gerrard

New in Town
Aero Real Deal Hides

Thank you for your answers. The reason I was asking is because Ihave just ordered a real deal from Amanda, who i find very helpful. Thanks again chaps.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If it's horse hide it starts in Canada before it gets to Chicago,
if I'm not mistaken. That jacket should have its own passport.

STW

Familiar Face
Thanks for the link to the Horweens site.
Was looking for descriptions on the site of their heavy chrome tanned FQHH that Aero and Lost Worlds use for their heavy HH jackets.

The site contains some news on Hiroki Nakamura's visit to Horweens and displays a photo of him in an A-2 type jacket that is made from Chromexcel leather.
http://horween.wordpress.com/
Page down a bit for the photo.

Horweens leather descriptions tend to focus on shoe leather, which is probably their main business including the famoun shell cordovan, and their only mention of chome tanning is the chromexcel:

"Chromexcel is the original pull-up leather; using time honored techniques and formulas that were developed nearly 100 years ao. Chromexcel is still produced in the United States using a bark retannage from a proprietary recipe, and then genuine hot stuffed with our secret blend of natural oils and greases.

Chromexcel is characterized by a rich pull-up in full aniline, hand rubbed finishes. Made to this day with old world craftsmanship, modern Chromexcel carries on a long history of superior comfort and durability."
http://horween.com/index.php/leathers/

Doesn't sound at all like what Aero/LW jackets are made of. Hmm.

Well in my view...Aero and lostWorld's HH doesn't resemble each other at all. Two different finishes. In fact LW's HH seems to have a type of graining quite unique to LW..pebbly..often with long stretches of seperated grain strips..with a quite heavy coloring or dye finish. Aero's finish is much more transparent with graining more in line with many vintage jackets. Both Co.'s hides seem heavier than most true vintage jackets(especially Utility types).
Evidentally, LW prefers..and orders a "special" tanned and finished hide for both their A2 weight..and heavier "utility" weight orders. I've never seen that type of HH anywhere else.
HD

STW

Familiar Face
Sorry, didn't mean to suggest that Aero's and LW's heavy weight FQHH are the same or similar. Just that they're both reputed to be chrome tanned HH from Horweens. Was curious how Horweens' Chromexcel leather process compares, especially as pictured in the jacket on their site.

No need to be sorry at all. Aero's HH..especially their heavier FQHH is,indeed,tanned with oils to give it a "waxy" feel. How this compares to...or if it is Chromexel HH..I'm not sure. However,the discription of Chromexel does seem to favor Aero's FQHH much moreso than LW's FQHH..in my opinion.
HD

NHorween

New in Town
HoosierDaddy said:
How this compares to...or if it is Chromexel HH..I'm not sure. However,the discription of Chromexel does seem to favor Aero's FQHH much moreso than LW's FQHH..in my opinion.
HD

They are both from us and the Aero jacket is made from Chromexcel SHF (single horse front). The Lost Worlds Jacket is a heavy selection of one of our other tannages that does indeed have less oil/grease.

Southernwayfare

One of the Regulars
NHorween said:
They are both from us and the Aero jacket is made from Chromexcel SHF (single horse front). The Lost Worlds Jacket is a heavy selection of one of our other tannages that does indeed have less oil/grease.

School's in session, folks!

Nick, thank you for the information and welcome to the forum. Lot's of people here who admire your great products and I think I can speak for everyone in saying it's a pleasure to have you visit.

STW

Familiar Face
Thanks for the information on your Chromexcel leathers.
The brown Aero HH have a very nice finish and color.
Also, the finish and texture on the black Lost Worlds heavy HH is very nice. Breaks in well with a nice subtle grain, soft feel, very comfortable. I've also found the Lost Worlds HH to be very water resistant, even water proof in practice.

miles_archer

Familiar Face
Answering esoteric questions like these is what the lounge is all about! Does Horween sell hides in small quantities to anyone or do they only deal with bigger companies like Aero, Allen Edmonds etc? Has anyone bought from Horween and if so was the product described accurately, good customer service? Any light shed is appreciated .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo