Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Route 66 Advice on Pockets

dsg10715

New in Town
Hello all,
Would love to solicit some ideas from everyone here. I am going to buy an Aero Route 66, but want to be able to fasten the handwarmer pockets. I have had a lost key incident once, and can't revisit that moment in time. While I know a simple concealed button could do the trick, I thought I would see if someone wanted to kindly offer some ideas they'd seen which have been squirreled away somewhere, or see me be the guinea pig for something one wasn't sure about quite yet. Open to any and all thoughts!

Seems like you could do zipper pockets...or hide the zippers inside the pocket edge.
I'd probably just keep the keys in the zippered chest pocket, or go for an inside pocket with a snap or zip and keep things in there.
Good luck, and please post some pictures when you get it!

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Many of the Aero jackets that Insurrection sells have zippered handwarmer pockets. However, I have been told that zippered handwarmer pockets have a strong tendency to be abrasive to hands when used as handwarmers. For that reason alone, I have no closure at on on any of my jackets with handwarmer pockets. In fact, I prefer no closure of any kind even on my inside pockets. I always keep my keys in the right side thigh pants or jeans pocket and have never lost my keys.

simonc

Practically Family
Just make the handwarmer pockets very deep, and or, add cargo pocket patches on the front with a flap, also very deep, same pockets on the halfbelt deluxe.

wdw

One Too Many
I doubt if there's any leeway in the depth of the handwarmer pockets, as they're close to the hem. The pocket linings on my HWM are probably a bit longer than they should be, as they boomfle up at the bottom. The fact that I frivolously specced corduroy liners only adds to the bulk. I would just work with the zipped pocket the 66 already has, as that'll be fine for keys, credit cards and cash.

Graemsay

Practically Family
Worf's got an old jacket of mine (which looks far better on him than it does on me), and that's got zippered handwarmer pockets. I never had any problems with them, and the zips weren't particularly noticeable.

IMG_1038_zps7fcbd83e.jpg

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I tend to deal with each jacket on it's own terms, LHB, I use the inside or cargos; A-2, the patch pockets, Dustbowl, either jammed deep in the hand warmers or into my trouser pockets.

pauleway

Practically Family
I have zipper HW-pockets on a Filson HB jacket and they are a little abrasive on the hands. A little more of a horizontal angle to the pockets might work if Aero is willing to make that modification!

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
won't HW pockets pooch out over time? I'd think in a few years you'd need to have some sort of closure thee to keep them shut/flat

simonc

Practically Family
I doubt if there's any leeway in the depth of the handwarmer pockets, as they're close to the hem. The pocket linings on my HWM are probably a bit longer than they should be, as they boomfle up at the bottom. The fact that I frivolously specced corduroy liners only adds to the bulk. I would just work with the zipped pocket the 66 already has, as that'll be fine for keys, credit cards and cash.
I meant to say raise the pocket slashes and then deepen the bags.

On anything with hand warmers, I say no zips - unless it's a riding jacket and you only use them for carrying stuff. The less zips, the better IMHO.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Hmm, I have zippers on my hand warmers and they are fine. But saying that why would you keep anything valuable in those kinds of pockets? My keys go in my pants pockets, or in my bag. Jacket pockets (unless it's an inside pocket) are always a risk.

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
what are you guys doing that "chews up your hands"! I've never hurt myself on a zipper pocket.

On a HH jacket, won't the hand pockets end up with an open gape to them after a few years without a zipper, or snap, etc?

btw, I don't like carrying anything in my pants pockets either.

Highwaymanman

A-List Customer
I bought my hwm on ebay and it was a good deal so I chose to ignore the fact it had zip pockets. It was ten years old but unworn and the oil pull is very heavy - I've since learned from more experienced chaps on here that it's very similar to heavyweight FQHH, indeed it has the FQHH label. Long story short - putting my hands in the pockets when the jacket is so stiff means my fingers run right across the teeth of the zip and it can chafe like crazy. I've even had grazes and scrapes on my knuckles from it. It's getting better as the jacket has softened but it's never gonna entirely be gone.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Well... I never keep anything in my zipped hand-warmer pockets. Makes the jacket look "neater" that way. I wear an U.S. Army issue "O"-ring on my trousers and have since it was issued to me in 1974. I lost my keys once... in the snow at Syracuse University. The massive hole left by the O-ring enabled me to find them easy. I really have no experience with zips ripping up my hands but on a stiff/new FQHH jacket... I could see how that would happen.

Worf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart