Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Steerhide Motorcycle Jacket

garzo

One of the Regulars
Ah, OK, that's what I suspected. I usually wear 44 or 46, depending, and have found Aero's sizing to be a bit confusing at times. My first Aero Highwayman was a 44 and fit too short. Then I had a cafe racer 44 that fit too tight. So I decided to next get a Highwayman 46, which fit OK but maybe a bit loose. Then I found a Happy Days jacket size 44 that fits perfectly. I once inquired about an A2 and Amanda recommended a size 48 due to the slim cut of the military jackets. I recently saw a good deal on a motorcycle jacket like yours, size 44, and thought about getting it but have decided against it. I think I'd probably have to go a bit higher for the motorcycle jacket.

When you list those jackets above and the tags - are these jackets made for you, or off the rack Aero's? Size tags are at best an estimation of size. Every Aero I own has a different size tag! it also depends on the model...

garzo

One of the Regulars
Yeah, that's what I figured. I'm a pretty standard 44-46. I've ordered two Highwayman jackets that were made for me but they were not traditional custom orders. It was a few years ago when Aero used to offer good deals on special "bargain" leather supplies they'd get -- one was a really cool jerky horsehide, the other an incredibly heavy "mottled" horsehide. I just gave them my basic measurements so for all I know they may have just sent me an off-the-rack jacket or cut a basic 44 or 46. The first jacket fit fine in the shoulders and chest but I found it short. It was my first introduction to the Aero Highwayman and I realized that at 5'11", I have a long torso and somewhat short legs, and a 25" jacket was just too short for my taste. I eventually sold it and later ordered a mottled horsehide without too many detailed specifications. I figured I wanted a size bigger than the last one and an inch or so longer. But that mottled horsehide made the first jerky horsehide seem like lambskin. I think it really was bulletproof and seemingly impossible to break in and I eventually sold it as well. I currently own and regularly wear a mid-weight horsehide size 46 Highwayman but think a 44 would probably fit me a bit better. The Happy Days jacket I picked up here in Germany from a store that carries Aeros. It's a 44 and when I tried it on it just felt like it was perfectly tailored for me.

jksu

Familiar Face
The fit, neatest to loosest, would be:

Thirties Halfbelt > Bootlegger/AN6552 about the same > A2 > Highwayman. All size 42 chest.

very useful.

surprise for me is the a2 being more neat fitting than the highwayman. maybe it's seeing all the non-spec a2s floating around but they appear very loose appearing, in my opinion.

the highwayman, i feel has a deceiving cut/design. the front panel makes the jacket look neater fitting than it really is because of the panel design/cut. the looseness/boxiness seems to come from the large/wide back panel which makes the jacket so accomodating. i'm no tailor but it's a cool trick.

garzo

One of the Regulars
Indeed, plus the Highwayman has the side panels, which makes the jacket overall roomier.

Otter

One Too Many
If it is any help my chest size is about a 44, I usualy find a 46 in an Aero A-2 is about right for me and my steerhide Aero M/C jacket is a nice fit at the 44 chest size. Edward's had its buckle slightly relocated to the side but mine is just left of centered on the zip. Had it for about 3 years, makes a good riding jacket, very heavy hide. Only quibble was the aero brand zip which was always slightly sticky and shed two teeth jamming the zip and making for some interesting wriggling to get out of the jacket. Aero replaced the zip for me at no cost, you could not tell it has ever been altered, no problems since.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic