Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Vintage Brown vs. Oil Pull

bobjones

A-List Customer
I am in the process of thinking through what I want in my next Aero jacket, both in jacket style and hide. Since my initial Aero was in brown FQHH, I wanted to go in a slightly different direction. A shorter jacket than my Stockman, perhaps a modified Highwayman, and while I love the brown FQHH, a darker, more pliable but no less durable hide might be the fit for this go-around.

I was thinking along the lines of either the vintage brown or oil pull, and wanted to toss these 2 hides ideas around and see if any of my fellow posters had any feelings about one versus the other, and any experiences with either.

My 2008 samples of each are small, but it would appear that the vintage is significantly darker and broken in compared to the standard FQHH, would those of you with vintage FQHH jackets agree? The oil pull seems even more pliable, and might be a lighter weight hide, perhaps a 2/3 oz as opposed to the standard 5 oz of the standard/vintage FQHH.

Any opinions one way or the other?

John Lever

One Too Many
My Radjacke [30's custom bike jacket] in Vintage HH. The leather is stiff at first but has softened up now. I did consider the Oil pull, but others have stated that it suedes very rapidly and after a while looses all it's shine.
On a large jacket or coat that is 3/4 length this may look slightly over the top.
My advice would be to go for the Vintage FQHH

Aero's FQHH is so unusual...I would highly recommend either the regular FQHH...or Vintage. Several weeks ago,I ordered a new BootLegger and deciding between the two hides wasn't so easy for me(I have both). The "Vintage" is a softer..or more relaxed hide than the regular Aero FQ....and grainy from the start. My Vintage FQHH is darker brown than my reg FQ...but also has a slightly heavier..or more uniform finish to the leather. It is very nice. However..the reg Aero FQHH...just "breaks in" in it's own unique way. The marbling effect becomes more pronounced with this hide and the finish seems more translucent..or "see through"..offering a more burnished appearance as it wears in.
Fortunately,IMO...niether the Aero Vintage FQHH..or reg hvy FQHH has the heavy seemingly "painted on" finish as some other makers of HH jackets.
The "Oil Pull" HH is a different animal. It does have a partially suedy finish becoming more nappy as it breaks in...enough to pick up lint. I wore my Oil pull HB yesterday. It has that light/dark "aged" look to it...but doesn't seem to grain up..or marble at all. It seems to lean toward HH rather than true suede in appearance...but has more the nature of suede.
So my decision came down to how my Aero jackets have "broken-in" over time. I laid the brown "Vintage" next to the Regular FQ. The vintage has a grainy pebbly finish with a flatter sheen and deeper more uniform color. The regular FQHH coloring has more of a "see through" finish...giving it an antiqued appearance offering burnished highlights as it ages. That...along with how the marbling patterns seem to increase with wear...helped make my decision for the new Bootlegger.
A couple of things to keep in mind is that different batches of hides can make for slight variations in color and finish. The newer Aero regular FQHH seems slightly darker than the rustier color of my Highwayman purchased several years ago...while John Levers new Vintage brown FQHH jacket appears to reflect highlights as my reg FQ Highwayman..where my vintage brown HB seems slightly duller.
Hope my long diatribe helps...
HD

Thanks Tito
Actually it really comes down to personal preference. I think both hides are very nice. Here's a couple of examples...

Vintage FQHH
100_0414.jpg

Reugular FQHH
100_0411.jpg

HD

bobjones

A-List Customer
Hi HD, another question. What is the difference, if any, between the US edition and the regular Highwayman?

I also noted that if one buys direct from Aero in Scotland, the jacket at 440 GBP translates to $570 US, whereas through Mark its $625, a $50 difference or so.

I must say..that I don't know what the differences between the USA edition and regular Highwayman are. Seems the USA edition comes standard with a tartan lining and inside pocket.
Britsh $$ is down right now making products more affordable for those in the USA.
Contact Mark Moye concerning price differences.
HD

DBLIII

One of the Regulars
Through Mark is no customs fees, etc.

HD - thanks very much for posting those photos + your excellent descriptions on the different types of FQHH. I am at that same point myself, getting ready to give Mark some money and couldn't quite make up my mind until your photos. My first Aero, and in my mind, I wanted it to look like the Regular FQHH -- and now I know.
Thanks again.

DBLIII
You're quite welcome.
These jackets aren't inexpensive or readily available to try on...so pics and as much info as possible can pay off for those who are interested. Plus it can save some experimenting with different hides or concerns about styles and fit.
We all have different tastes...but when in doubt...go for Aero's FQHH. It just doesn't get much better than that,in my view.
I've been stopped more often when wearing the marbled Hvy FQHH for compliments or questions about it than any other. However..keep in mind that is not a lightweight. If given time to break-in and relax(waterspray treatment)..and not overly babied or conditioned....it developes great charactor and becomes the jacket you'll grab just because it is so unique. Anyhow...that's my story.
HD

Hammer Down

One of the Regulars
HoosierDaddy answered a few of my questions in this thread. Still not sure if the vintage brown is chrome tanned though. . . .

I can bug Amanda, but I hate to email her if I don't have to. Now, I am leaning a little away from the vintage brown. But I'm still, more or less, on the fence between vintage brown, brown, and a dark cordovan that is not so purple. I really do dislike the color purple for most things, even if it is fairly red in some types of lighting and purplish in other lighting. I will say that in some pictures Aero cordovan HH is spectacular looking. In others, it seems dismal. Hard to know if that is the difference in hides, lighting, both. Possibly too many variables there to gamble with.

I had the chance to get thick, finished purpleheart wood floors for my house for a very inexpensive price and decided not to because,e ven though purpleheart is very hard and attractive as a type of wood, the color is not attractive at least to me. Of course, it is much more purple than a cordovan jacket.

Last edited:

767fo

One of the Regulars
I have the brown FQHH on my Highwayman and I can tell you the top coat wears off very quickly. Which is a good thing on this type of a utility jacket. Over time you will for sure get the vintage look without it having been manufactured. Good luck with your choice.

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
I had the chance to get thick, finished purpleheart wood floors for my house for a very inexpensive price and decided not to because,e ven though purpleheart is very hard and attractive as a type of wood, the color is not attractive at least to me. Of course, it is much more purple than a cordovan jacket.

I understand why you didn't. And you should also know that the color can swing ALOT on purpleheart, from purple to almost cerise (chock pink) but after many years it gets a very nice dark purple color, so if one could stand the initial color without throwing up, I think a purpleheart floor would look incredible after say, 5 years.

I also want a cordovan jacket but not too purple. I have some samples from Aero and they doesnt look good at all IMHO. But as you say some pictures make them look amazing!
I would love for them to make me a cordovan jacket from my Nudie denim jacket pattern. With normal buttons, not snap buttons. I think it would look sweet.

D

Deleted member 16736

I just received samples of both. I owned a FQHH Highwayman and never liked the way it creased. The vintage brown does appear to be softer with less creasing and a better drape. I would go vintage brown if I ever order another Aero. In fact, the vintage brown was the nicest of their leathers, and I received about six or seven samples.

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
Some great posts, especially from HD. I wouldn't be too hard on the oil pull, especially if you already have an FQHH jacket. I recently received a modified M422A (pics soon) in brown oil pull and, like a precocious child, it's showing all the signs of turning into a very interesting adult jacket. The leather is quite different from FQHH, it must be said: more chocolatey, or or perhaps liquoricey, and definitely lighter in weight. Aero seems to think it will take on the appearance of an aged WW2 jacket more quickly than any of its other hides.

Sir J

Southernwayfare

One of the Regulars
If you're interested in another perspective, you can check the thread on my vintage brown FQHH Cheyenne. Due to an error in the construction, I had the opportunity to see the coat in standard brown FQHH (my original order) and in vintage brown FQHH (my replacement order). As usual, HD's comments are right on. The vintage is much more pliable and broken in right out the box.

Frankly I liked both and would have preferred to go with the standard so I could do all the breaking in myself but the color was the big issue for me. At the time I ordered, the standard brown FQHH had a distinct red hue while the vintage was a much more "brown". I was looking for something more akin to the Horween Chromexcel brown. Amanda suggested the vintage and it fit the bill perfectly. I would strongly suggest asking for samples of leather from the lot that will be used for your jacket. There seems to be significant variation as I have seen standard brown coats that are as dark as the vintage.

A few years later and I have no complaints. I think the coat looks great and is getting better all the time (I've posted updated pics twice later in the thread).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy