Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Windward lining

Augustthe3rd

New in Town
Hi there!
Im new here and this is my first post!

Im considering if the Windward from Aero in black FQHH, should be my new allround jacket!

Im wondering if the fit works for me because I am 1,89cm tall, 82kg!

I also think about the standard alpaca liner and stormcuffs - do these features allow me to wear it year around ? I want a lining that can work for me all year, not just in winter!

The thing is that I dont have 6-8 weeks to wait for a custom made jacket right now - I need it as fast as possible and the mentioned features are standard for this jacket if i order directly from Aero...

I am aware that horsehide is not a good option for the warmer seasons but Im in love with the leather so wont choose any other material ;)

Do you have any suggestions on liners that would do it for me ?

Thank You!

//August

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I guess it depends where in the world you live and how cold it is year round.

The alpaca lining is very warm and the storm cuffs would trap the heat even more.

I doubt there would be many climates on the planet that would allow you to wear this warm a jacket year round.

Peter Bowden

Practically Family
Just curious-Do they have one in your size ready to ship?Otherwise the wait would be as for a bespoke jacket.You might like to consider moleskin for a lining as it is warmer than cotton but not as warm as alpaca so would give you a more versatile jacket.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
I'd also recommend moleskin for a 8 month a year wear time jacket, it has a very cozy feel to it, I like it a lot. Cotton too thin in fall and winter, alpaca too warm when it's over 15°C.

I ordered a Windward once and returned it because it was too short for my taste. And I'm rather on the shorter side of the spectrum with 5'9". The Aero version has no front drop like the originals and while the backlength of 23,5" worked for me, it just rose up too far in the front. If you order that model, I would recommend you to ask Aero for 25-26" backlength (standard in your size is probably 23.5-24 but seriously it'll still be fairly short and suit the style at 25-26" considering how tall you are). I don't know whether they can also add a front drop but if I was to order this style again, this is what I would ask for. An inch extra backlength and two inches front drop to make sure my belt is covered.

Windward

Practically Family
Hi - I am 177 cm "tall" and wearing my Windwards in Size 46" and asked for a 23,5" to 24" Back lenght.
The Black Windward one is brand new and the Brown one is from 2016 to show the look of the back lenght.
My new BLACK CXFQ Horsehide Windward has 23,5 " back lenght and 21" front lenght without any front drop.
I am wearing high waisted pants like Bills Khakis Model M1
In Term of lining I had in my more than 10 Windward Jackets almost every kind of lining. Moleskin is very nice and cosy and not itchy like alpaca.
I have ALL of my pockets lined with moleskin - NICE!!!
But for me cotton lining is the best for wearing year round with just T-Shirt or Sweater when it gets colder.

Attachments

• Windward_BLACK_2018.jpg
    Windward_BLACK_2018.jpg
    945.6 KB · Views: 1,168
  • Windward_BLACK_back_2018.jpg
    Windward_BLACK_back_2018.jpg
    785 KB · Views: 620
  • Windward Black right side view.jpg
    Windward Black right side view.jpg
    658.5 KB · Views: 822
  • Windward Blck side view.jpg
    Windward Blck side view.jpg
    800.8 KB · Views: 667
Last edited:

Windward

Practically Family
Back leght 23,5" / Front lenght 21" ... Brown FQ Horsehide 2 years "old" and buttery soft ...

Attachments

• Windward_brown_2016.jpg
    Windward_brown_2016.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 868
  • windward_brown_back_2016.jpg
    windward_brown_back_2016.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 798
  • Windward_brown2_2016.jpg
    Windward_brown2_2016.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1,032
My vintage Windward has the front drop, and I love it! I would recommend asking Aero if they would do it. I believe it would fix their pattern and ultimately sell more of this very cool design.

Edward

Bartender
Windward is the expert on this particular model hereabouts - glad you chipped in!

Windward - do you still have all ten of them?

Windward

Practically Family
Hi Edward - thank you and hope you are fine.
I have reduced the number and starting to "rebuild" the collection.
If anyone asks how many jackets you need - today I would say a
1. Heavy FQ BLACK Jacket and a
2. Heavy FQ BROWN Jacket and
3. maybe ONE another ...

I'm tempting for the midweight Battered Seal Horsehide.

But you all know the Problem ...
The Problem !!!.jpg

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I will add my two cents regarding moleskin lining. My Teamster has body shell moleskin lining and cotton drill sleeves. Both are very durable. I would have some concern lining sleeves with moleskin because of bunching up when putting on a jacket whereas cotton drill lining doesn't grab at all. The moleskin body lining does provide nice warmth, and I can layer underneath with a Filson moleskin vest, or even a 24oz. Mackinaw wool vest, if it is cold enough.

1.jpg 8C3383BF-A0AD-4590-BF5A-6C60125D7A0A-1167-000002B4D0395E10.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichelleGrace86